Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Teaching with SPADS

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 11:01 PM
SchoolRoomSpads
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teaching with SPADS

Hey, are there any other techers out there? I built this SPAD STICK with my sixth grade class. Worked real well with the reluctant learners. Ran out of 2 mill so I put my DPS wing on it. Some of it is bit out of square, so we'll see how, or if she'll fly. Lessons: Bernoulli's law, WWI aircraft history(Flying Circus), Art (Sign vinyl decoration), etc....
I set up a flight sim on the classroom computer as I can't risk flying around the kids.
They Love it!!

Tommy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60890_16556.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	37603  
Old 03-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Tattoo

6th graders built that?...WOW!!!! GREAT Job!

Kraut and I use Spads in the classroom every month in a program called Starbase. It's an introduction to aviation program for 4th, 5th and sometimes 6th graders. We do 4 classes a month on Forces of flight, parts of the airplane, axis of flight, theory of flight and the virtues of being drug free and making good choices. It's very rewarding, and every now and then a Starbase student will sign the Spad questbook...that's always cool!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60910_3860.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	37604  
Old 03-07-2003, 03:24 AM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Yeah,that sure is cool! My 6 yr old son wants me to see if we can get a field trip for his class.I am going to have to talk to the teacher and principal though.Hopefully,we can get some of the parents to come also.Maybe I can get some new Spadders involved.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:44 AM
troyp

Thats great what you and Kraut do at the schools Tattoo. You must get a real buzz from teaching the kids all about flight.
My 7 year old daughter recently took an old OS 20 motor I had, a spare prop, a glow plug lead and battery, a small tin of assorted clevis pins control and horns etc and some photos printed from our club website, to show and tell at school. Her 5 minutes ended up going for around 20 minutes and when I got home from work she gave me all these orders for SPADS from her fellow class mates. Im still trying to finish my own spad....
Old 03-07-2003, 05:15 PM
SchoolRoomSpads
My Feedback: (3)

Man, I wished I had you guys here in New Mexico. I'll contact Kitland Air force Base to see if they have something similar. By the way do you guys know of an easy to build glider (no radio) spad that we could build and throw around the playground? This way the kids could actually see the results of their work.
Tommy
Old 03-07-2003, 05:40 PM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

I think Bam Bam built one,if my memory is correct
Old 03-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Tattoo

I wish we had more time in our class! It's always been one of my ideas to explain some basics, give them a piece of coro, and let them design their own glider...then have a fly-off
Old 03-07-2003, 06:28 PM
twilli77
My Feedback: (2)

Wouldn't hurt to try that Tatoo. When I was in school we built the balsa cars with the booster engines to race on lines. I can't recall what we called them. You could do something similar with SPAD.