Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

debonair?, spadet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 01:25 AM
Iceman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default debonair?, spadet?

I am fixing to start spring break and am wanting to build my first plane. I am looking for thoughts on whether the spadet or the debonair would be the best for a first plane, trainer. Could someone rate the difficult in building, needed supplies and most importantly flying characteristics.
Thanks alot.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:30 AM
mustangman177

Iceman1:

I started with the Spatet. Easy building and flying plane. Don't know about the Debonair.

If this is your first RC, make sure you have someone assist you in learning RC flying.

Best of Luck and let us know how it turns out !!!

Cary
Old 03-09-2003, 03:58 AM
edhaeuser

Well, I've built both. The Deb is definately easier to build. although I enjoyed building the Spadet. As far as trainers and flight charactiristics the Spadet wins hands down( at least for me). Although, we Have only had the Spadet out once. I may be wrong but the Spadet seems to have a lighter wing loading than the deb. Both were built for others. The Spadet is for my seven yr. old son.

Ed
Old 03-09-2003, 04:45 AM
Kripto

I am also new, It took me 2 weeks (I took it slow since it was my first one) to build the Spadet might have cost me $30 total and I think it wans not that hard to build. I used to fly 20 years ago and I remember working on that first plane for 2 months and only had 2 hours on it before it was pavement fodder. If/when I have to build Spadet #2 I have all the supplies and I think I could do it in a few nights... Here is a pic of my creation... The guys at my field (never met them yet) dont like spads from what I get from the local LHS but screw them I paid my dues like the rest of them. And like Tatoo said to me "After they see it fly there will be more of them converting over to SPADs"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	61467_27893.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	37787  
Old 03-09-2003, 04:46 AM
Kripto

pic 2

Name:	61471_27893.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	37788  
Old 03-09-2003, 04:55 AM
Kripto

pic 2

Name:	61473_27893.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	37789  
Old 03-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Iceman1

Default spadet hinge

How do you form the hinges for control surfaces say the rudder, do you cut the top out of one flute?
Old 03-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Wolfgang08

Yes. Have you checked out the tips section on spadtothebone.com? Very useful stuff. I don't know which plane you're gonna build first, but I going to try the debonair first. I picked it after seeking advice from these guys. Also, the online instructions are very detailed for the deb.