Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Can't get 2 mil Coro

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 04:05 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't get 2 mil Coro

Hi guys!

I'm new to this coroplast game, and managed to find some 4 mil, but 2 mil is few and far between. My question is, is the 4 mil really that much heavier? Can I just use 4 mil all the way around? My planes will be in the 40 - 60 size range.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.harborsales.net

Unfortunately, the last time I checked, they only had 2mil in white, clear, black, and yellow, and the only way to get it shipped at a reasonable price (free) was to get it cut into 24x48 pieces.

See if you have a "GE Polymershapes" near you.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Delgado Flash

The GE Polymershapes near me (Metairie, LA) only sells 4mm Coroplast. The guy behind the counter acts as though he's never heard of the lighter stuff. Gotta have a $50.00 minimum order, too.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:38 PM
BenJammin
My Feedback: (2)

Deadeye, your probably best off to get it mail order from Harbor. They do have other colors of 2 mil, you just have to call and ask them.

"Montana Moldings" in Billings, MT has 4 mil in any color you want and 2 mil in White. They will order 2 mil colors but you have to wait until they place an order for 4 mil. This probably doesn't do you any good cause your even farther from Billings than I am!:stupid:
Old 03-21-2003, 10:13 PM
Woodsy

Also check out the supliers list on the SPAD web site.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:32 AM
Deadeye

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Is the weight between 2 and 4 mil that great for 40-60 size planes?
Old 03-22-2003, 04:36 AM
BenJammin

2 mil is considerably lighter than 4 mil. I made one trainer wing with a 4 mil bottom and 2 mil top, it was 6 ounces lighter than an all 4 mil wing of the same dimensions.

Does the lighter wing fly any better? Not that I've noticed! IMHO the Spad Dominator is one of the best designs out there. The all 4 mil wing is a bit heavier but alot more crash resistent than 2 mil. I would say that 4 mil will work fine for what you are looking for as long as you have a good running 40+ size engine. For smaller engines the 4 mil is a bit heavy.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:42 PM
Deadeye

Thank you, BenJammin. That's the answer I was looking for!
Old 03-23-2003, 06:49 AM
ND_newbie
My Feedback: (8)

BenJammin,
Do you have any pricing information for the Montana Moldings? Here in Williston, access to coroplast is about nil, but I do get to Billings on rare occasions. Thanks in advance.

Mitchell Schaff
Old 03-23-2003, 02:42 PM
BenJammin

Mitchell, I think it was around $8-10 for a 4'x8' sheet of 4 mil and 2 mil was about the same.

I heard a rumor you guys were flying Pizza boxes in Williston. I know Neil had a blast when I handed him the controls to mine at Sidney.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:52 PM
ND_newbie
My Feedback: (8)

Jammin,
I stopped in Sidney yesterday, and talked to a few customers at Ribbons & Rails, but they hadn't seen anyone up yet. Things are still pretty soggy around here. On my way back to Williston, I didn't see anyone at the Sidney field. When I got back here, there wasn't anyone flying at the Basin Modelers field, either, although the runway and pit area looked dry. The dirt road between Hwy 2 and the parking area still looks pretty treacherous. Maybe next week, they'll be up. I'm told they have a static aircraft display some time later this week, which I'll be going to check out. There were a few pbf's flying last fall, and I suspect they'll only get more popular over time.

Thanks for the info on the coroplast!

Mitchell