Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

2008 SPADFEST Website

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:36 AM
ChrisSpad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2008 SPADFEST Website

ORIGINAL: emailbanter

Oh...nite flying is OK at this site. I'm bringing one of my .25 combat ships and putting as many lights as a separate battery will power.....RH....up for a little night time combat? Now, only if we can figure out how to light up the streamer. Might have to have Clean aim a flashlight on 'em as they pass by.

I did have some difficulty in figuring out how the tent was supposed to come together and had to ask for help . Some of the guys are bound to wander over to the campgrounds for a nip or two at Jimbo's like last year but I'm hoping we attract a few more guys to night flying !

ORIGINAL: foodstick
I did want to mention a couple things . Gas and nitro motors aren't supposed to be flown after dark, simply because we don't want the few houses within earshot to get mad at the club, as for electris GO FOR IT
The second rule that you may not have heard of is that the club has always tried to avoid flying gas planes before noon on Sunday, simply because there is a church about 3/4 mile west of the field, it might even be a mile . Its a small rural church and you would never even know its there unless you were told. I am not sure they could hear anything smaller than a da 50 at that distance but that has always been the understanding at the club..

So, what i want to know is who's right - i see 2 differing opinions, and both are purportedly both club members. Who is the CD at this event? If there are rules specific to this flying site, they should be noted in clear specific terms, here, and at Spadworld, and on the website. So far, i've seen none of the above.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:07 PM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

OK, Ive been flying all weekend and am now just reading all the posts here. As the VP of the Modelairs I can speak here and now and answer the questions. This will be an AMA sanctioned meet and we will follow all AMA safety rules. Night flying will be allowed but only if you have electric planes. I spoke with some of the Board members of the club and I was unaware that no nitro powered planes are allowed to fly after sunset. The rule is not found in the bi-laws and hasnt been brought up in several years, hence, the reason I hadnt heard of it until tonight. There is a neighbor about a mile from the field and the club would like to remain a friendly neighbor. My mistake but electric night flying is allowed.

Secondly, we will allow flying of gas powered motors on Sunday from 9 am (just like last year). Normally, the club does not allow gas motors to be run on Sunday until noon but we had no trouble last year at SPADFEST (and several guys were running gas) and this is a one time a year special event that shouldnt cause any of the neighbors any problems, including the church that sits on the hill in the distance. The SPADFEST schedule of events is documented on [link=http://rcairplane.onlinestoragesolution.com/Spadfest2008/]2008 SPADFEST Webpage[/link]

Jim Lewis will be the official event CD. He is the club Secretary and should you want to contact him, you can find it his email on our club website.

Camping will be allowed at the field but no open wood burning fires (just like last year).

No alcohol to be consumed on the premises. Since that took place at the campground I dont see that as a problem either.

NO balsa planes will be flown whatsover on Friday and Saturday until noon on Sunday when the club opens the field to general flying.

The last thing I want you guys to understand is that we made a couple of mistakes last year and I believe we have corrected them for this years event. The Modelairs is a good club with good intentions and we want everyone to have a good time.

Joe

Old 04-20-2008, 10:51 PM
kodaknix

MAN YOU GUYS are hitting below the belt.this was a great event last year and it should be a great or better one this year.we are all on the same team here and should help out and have a good time.Y smash heads and cut throats.and I like the big balsa plane Im from a smaller club and dont get to see the 30 persent planes very often.thats Y I have more spads then balsa..I cant put on a show like that and if anyone can do rolling circles like that guy did PLEASE DO IT this year and show me how
Old 04-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Kodak, I was in a parade on my motorcycle this year for the Patriot Gaurd. Patriot Gaurd is the biker answer to the idiot Phred Phelps from Topeka who canvasses the nation protesting military funerals with all the God hates Fags signs and his lovely grandchildren stompin on the flag and such. So we setup in front and shield the family, if requested by the family. So we have the typical loud pipes on our bikes. During the parade the majority of the crowd was constantly giving us the rev it up sign and I and several others complied as requested, they loved it. The parade officials however had announced to a few that if we were too noisey we wouldn't be allowed back next year. Well, that would have been nice to know ahead of time and you can imagine the pucker that developed in my pants when I was told this by a well intentioned but otherwise nervous nelly. IF SUCH A THING was a rule to abide by, it should have been in the meeting prior to the start of the parade.

As it was, the organizers were so thrilled with the reaction of the crowd that they liked us as well. My clutch on the other hand, well that's a different story.

I don't want to drive 4 hours, setup and start flying and get home Sunday, reading the web and find out that my well intentioned actions that I had no for-knowledge of rules I was breaking had not only gotten us a black mark in the national interest but had also gotten these guys kicked off their field. All because things weren't posted ahead of time. It would also ruffle me with things going as they are, that if the only thing I had ready to go to SPADfest was my HOR's my FNS and a couple other things to fly at night, with nothing electric and as of now I only have one thing to fly at night thank you very much, and to get there and find out that NOTHING I had was legal to fly, well that would make for a sucky trip wouldn't it.

Thanks for nailing down the issues EB, like I said in my initial post I had a great time last year and am looking forward to another one this year. I just don't want to break any rules that I didn't know existed.

Oh and Kodak, if you want to see them 1/3scale balsa planes, they have events for those listed all through any of the modeling magazines. Fact is, those and the incessant almost incestual coverage of park flyers litters the magazines anymore. It shouldn't be too hard to find an event nearby that has them. Now, I love seeing the SPAD versions and that's what I'm going to this event for.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 AM
kodaknix

Clean
I love my job BUT im on call 24/7 even on vac i'm on call.spadfest was a very short vac last year for me and it was 1 of the 2 places I got to go that where over 2 hour away the other was a fly in for a day...so I dont get OUT MUCH any more so seeing all you skilled flyers and learning more about this great hobby and talking to a bunch of great guys and having fun for a weekend.THIS IS what its all about HAVING FUNand HOPING that I get my 30.000 dollar spad jet going in time
Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 AM
ChrisSpad

ORIGINAL: kodaknix

MAN YOU GUYS are hitting below the belt.this was a great event last year and it should be a great or better one this year.we are all on the same team here and should help out and have a good time.Y smash heads and cut throats.and I like the big balsa plane Im from a smaller club and dont get to see the 30 persent planes very often.thats Y I have more spads then balsa..I cant put on a show like that and if anyone can do rolling circles like that guy did PLEASE DO IT this year and show me how
Somehow, i don't see asking for clarification of the rules for the event as either cutting throats, or hitting below the belt, or smashing heads. 2 club member had given 2 very different idea of what was and wasn't allowed.
And, if your job is so restrictive, get a new one.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 AM
kodaknix

*LOL* chris I love getting up and going to work I didnt say I didnt..that has nothing to do with this*LOL*.
I hope you have a great day chris Im planing to get off early and go flying and I hope you can do the same nice talking to you.it looks like EB has all my ?? answered
Old 04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Oh and Kodak, if you want to see them 1/3scale balsa planes, they have events for those listed all through any of the modeling magazines. Fact is, those and the incessant almost incestual coverage of park flyers litters the magazines anymore. It shouldn't be too hard to find an event nearby that has them. Now, I love seeing the SPAD versions and that's what I'm going to this event for.
Clean

Spadfest had exclusive use of the club field for 3 days last year, and everyone was happy to have the event. The demo flight that you are complaining about took 8 minutes, and was REQUESTED by the CD last year. There are more viewpoints than just yours, and you are attacking those who clearly enjoyed the 8 minute demo that took place. Don't attack those who did enjoy it, it was a way to break up the day and show another aspect of the hobby. Judging by the reaction of the crowd, you are firmly in the minority on the subject of the demo flight.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry if I got things all stirred up, I was trying to avoid any problems for the event or club .. not cause any divides, or us versus them issues.

I am anxious to see that crazy furball going on in the combat again. I wasn't able to see most of the prototype and larger models fly last year. Hopefully I can get there earlier this year.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
dizzane
My Feedback: (140)

OK, Ive been flying all weekend and am now just reading all the posts here. As the VP of the Modelairs I can speak here and now and answer the questions. This will be an AMA sanctioned meet and we will follow all AMA safety rules. Night flying will be allowed but only if you have electric planes. I spoke with some of the Board members of the club and I was unaware that no nitro powered planes are allowed to fly after sunset. The rule is not found in the bi-laws and hasnt been brought up in several years, hence, the reason I hadnt heard of it until tonight. There is a neighbor about a mile from the field and the club would like to remain a friendly neighbor. My mistake but electric night flying is allowed.

Secondly, we will allow flying of gas powered motors on Sunday from 9 am (just like last year). Normally, the club does not allow gas motors to be run on Sunday until noon but we had no trouble last year at SPADFEST (and several guys were running gas) and this is a one time a year special event that shouldnt cause any of the neighbors any problems, including the church that sits on the hill in the distance. The SPADFEST schedule of events is documented on [link=http://rcairplane.onlinestoragesolution.com/Spadfest2008/]2008 SPADFEST Webpage[/link]

Jim Lewis will be the official event CD. He is the club Secretary and should you want to contact him, you can find it his email on our club website.

Camping will be allowed at the field but no open wood burning fires (just like last year).

No alcohol to be consumed on the premises. Since that took place at the campground I dont see that as a problem either.

NO balsa planes will be flown whatsover on Friday and Saturday until noon on Sunday when the club opens the field to general flying.

The last thing I want you guys to understand is that we made a couple of mistakes last year and I believe we have corrected them for this years event. The Modelairs is a good club with good intentions and we want everyone to have a good time.

Joe

Joe, I am sorry but I don't think its right that you say no other planes can fly. I know "MRCLEAN" was *****ing about an eight min. flight.... how is it fair that you guys with the trash planes can take up a whole weekend? As a club member I am glad that the "event" is moving on next year.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:45 PM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

Hoo boy, this thread is now going to get out of hand very quickly. Please do not call SPADS "trash planes" because they are not. A lot of time and innovation go into building them and admittedly, there are some RC flyers that don't care for them and that's ok but I enjoy both balsa and SPAD planes since I own and fly both. I'd like everyone to cool down.

The Board approved my suggestion at hosting a second SPADFEST which will be for those folks that own, build, and fly SPADS. Our club has two airfields and one of them is scheduled for the spadfest. I see no reason why the other field cannot be used for non-spad designed planes. I think we can all understand that clubs throughout the country host various types of specialized fun flys. There are funflys just for warbirds, pattern, control line, electric planes, etc....and there is nothing different about having one devoted to those who enjoy SPADS.

I would very much like to have a few moments to speak with you (Dizzane) and explain this further. All club officer's phone numbers are on our monthly club newsletter so I am easy to reach.

We really need to stop this before spadfest is ruined, ok guys?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:57 PM
zertsman

i see lots of balsa and monokote in the trash.. i haven't put a piece of coro in there yet.. I identify trash by what's in the can.

I bet Cleans keyboard is smokin again.. or about too.. if it's not in pieces on the floor.

Can't we all just get along?

Yes we can!
Yes we can!
Yes we can!
Old 04-21-2008, 04:04 PM
dizzane

Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Clean

ORIGINAL: ncrego
Spadfest had exclusive use of the club field for 3 days last year, and everyone was happy to have the event. The demo flight that you are complaining about took 8 minutes, and was REQUESTED by the CD last year. There are more viewpoints than just yours, and you are attacking those who clearly enjoyed the 8 minute demo that took place. Don't attack those who did enjoy it, it was a way to break up the day and show another aspect of the hobby. Judging by the reaction of the crowd, you are firmly in the minority on the subject of the demo flight.
What I saw was a lot of polite Golf Clapping. But what I said was if there are plans for such an event I would like to know so I can plan my time around it. I've seen it, doesn't really impress me that much, I could make a food run or hit the outhouse or something IF I know ahead of time so I can plan for it. It's a wide, beautiful world but just like the there's no this or that part, I wasn't expecting it. Never assume just because I'm big mouthed enough to actually express a concern that I'm the only one. If it was just a me issue, I would have politely clapped along with everyone else.

Oh wait, until this weekend, thats what I did.

Hmmm, now I wonder just how deep that rabbit hole can go.

This weekends message was a shocker to me. I had a good time last year. Then I find out a month before this event that I possibly was violating club rules? Yeouch! Were there NEW restrictions? EB says no and everything sounds like it's going to be ok. But if that balsa piece of slag is going to show up, just let us know ahead of time. I don't want to hog the air and like everyone, I've got other things I could be doing. Hopefully it won't be major car repair again.

What it really gets down to is I can make maybe two or three events a year. I really could apply the budget towards family things, but these are things I want to do that nobody else in my family wants to. I've already been to SOT so Spadfest will be it. Oh, I'll get to do some home field events. The next weekend by the way is our Turkey Fry and Night fly. If you all want to add a deep fat fried turkey to the menu, WOOBOY!!

From the sounds of the activities listed by eb, this year will be bigger and better. Lets just end with that positive thought.

Unless of course you WANT to add fried turkey to the deal.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Clean

Oh, and I was just pointing out to Kodak that it shouldn't be that hard to get to a big bird flyin. We have em in KC all the time. So does Topeka, Clinton, litteraly all over the place within 60 minutes of drive. More informational than anything else was my point to him. And for the style of flying a Probro event, which are getting along, there are generally a couple of big birds doing the same thing there to. Better pilots than I'll ever be that's for sure.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:51 PM
ncrego

What I saw was a lot of polite Golf Clapping. But what I said was if there are plans for such an event I would like to know so I can plan my time around it. I've seen it, doesn't really impress me that much, I could make a food run or hit the outhouse or something IF I know ahead of time so I can plan for it. It's a wide, beautiful world but just like the there's no this or that part, I wasn't expecting it. Never assume just because I'm big mouthed enough to actually express a concern that I'm the only one. If it was just a me issue, I would have politely clapped along with everyone else.

Well, you were a guest of our club, and our club asked for a demo to be flown. As a guest, I'd expect that you'd follow the same rules as if you were a guest at someone's home. Shut your mouth, clap your hands, or go to hell. 8 minutes out of 3 days was nothing, and your coming on here to complain publicly about the host club because we had the "audacity" to fly an 8 minute demo to show some other aspect of the hobby is rude, and uncalled for. You make it sound as if hours were taken away from you, when the reality is it was 8 minutes, you'd spend more time waiting for a frequency to become available, or for someone to land so you could fly. Don't make it sound like a huge imposition.

There's plenty of places out there that you can go to and throw a piece of coroplast into the air, don't go somewhere that has shut down the club for 95% of the paying membership for the express purpose of hosting you, and complain about an 8 minute demo and rules that are in place to ensure the continued success of the club. It's no different than if I came into your house, and complained about the beer in your fridge. You'd tell me to go to hell and kick me out, and be justified for doing so.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Clean

Far as I remember, Members of YOUR club asked YOUR CLUBS officials if they could host an event. That was voted and passed. They asked SPADworld if they could host SPADFEST, that was ok'd. Order may be backwards or continuous there. SPADfest is an event where we get together and fly SPAD airplanes. Now if someone comes to SPADfest with a balsa airplane to fly, the more the merrier has always been my moto, and at SOT we have them fly regularly.

Again, if I'd know about the 8 minute demo flight and the 15 minutes that it actually takes to bring em all down, launch, fly and retrieve, I would have just planned around it, food run or something. Not standing there with my plane ready to launch and being told, wait wait, we've got something special. Really? Cool what is it. Oh mr jumbo over here is going to fly his plane for you. Uhhh, great? It was just a rather abrupt thing but nothing really major, just a raspberry seed in my bridge work.

As far as shutting down your field. If your club is like any other club in the nation, and that's a pretty all inclusive statement right there, it is. No matter what 'event' you have SOMEBODY gonna complain. Currently at my home field Thursday nights are Soarstar racing nights. You can't shut down the field to run THOSE things!!! Yes we can, and we do, and a bunch of grumbly old never flies complain about it every year.

So in short Mr Audacity, You asked us, we came and had a good time, YOU complained. We flew at night or were going to this year. We flew Sunday morning or were going to this year. And for the shocker, we found out after the fact that this was taboo. I don't care about the drinking stuff, I don't and agree with the policy. Don't worry though, I'm goofy enough without it. But all my fears have been assuaged. We're just down to the part that I could do without the balsa display, you have your heart set on it. Fine, I'll charge batteries or something. It just riled me to find out almost a year later what thin ice I had trespassed on. THAT is the thing that set me off the most this last weekend. I hope I am getting the point across.

EB has it all worked out, so there's no worries at this point. If your membership doesn't want us back after this year OR you feel strongly enough to persuade them not to let us show up, that is totally within your rights. I don't want to be somewhere where I'm not wanted and I don't want to violate rules that I don't know about. Thats bad for me, bad for you. EB has it all worked out, so its cool.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Clean

Looked your place up Kodak, they don't have a flyin in Dubuque? I don't mean to get this thread way off track, but I would think someplace would have a display for ya.

[qoute]

Joe [/quote]

Oh I hope I hope I hope that one of them mistakes was the lack of deep fried turkey!

I'm looking forward to it Joe, think most of this snafu is keyboard racing anyways. Wouldn't happen in a group discussion.

Hey, about that balsa thing. What about target drones? Nah, we'll work on that idea later.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 PM
ncrego

OK, you win. You don't see how you were rude and insulted the club that worked to host you, that's fine. Have fun at Spadfest.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Chunky C

Don't you just love a club that stands as one? Man how I hate club politics.

My favorite saying, "Tell me what rules are and I'll be happy to play by them but you got to tell me what the rules are first."

I got to say that I feel sorry for EB. The guy is trying to do his best with, what looks like, no club support.

cc
Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
dizzane

Sorry, but there are maybe two out of 140 members that have spads. I am all for events at our field but when you kick 99% out of flying this weekend...
It's hard to support an event that will not allow members to participate in... oh wait, we get to clean up after you guys leave.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
ncrego

Don't you just love a club that stands as one? Man how I hate club politics.

My favorite saying, "Tell me what rules are and I'll be happy to play by them but you got to tell me what the rules are first."

I got to say that I feel sorry for EB. The guy is trying to do his best with, what looks like, no club support.

There's plenty of club support, and there was a lot more of it before Clean decided to go on a rampage and bash the club and it started to come to the attention of the club. If anything guarantees that Spadfest won't be invited back, it's Clean's rants.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Clean

You have 466 posts on RCUniverse. A search of the SPAD forum reveals 4, all of which are to complain about me.

Sure, it's all my fault, I'm a bad person.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:05 PM
ncrego

You have 466 posts on RCUniverse. A search of the SPAD forum reveals 4, all of which are to complain about me.
You're damn right. It should tell you how your posts have gotten a reaction from the members of the hosting club if I'm wasting my time in here on you. I must really be getting to you if you're checking my posting history. I can't tell you how happy it makes me knowing that I'm bothering you this much.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Clean

Hmmm, looking more at your profile

BVM Edge 540T - 2.6 impressive
Ohio Model Products Katana V2 .70 one or two of these flying in my home club, purty cool
Hangar 9 CAP 232 80in - 2.0 Another ARF, still pretty cool model and I've nothing against ARF's
Sig Four Star - 60 Always considered these a bit floaty unless you take the last wing panels out.
Global Quality Kits Ultimate Bipe - 46 The 120 size is a better ship
Hangar 9 Super Cub O Dear Lord! A CUB??????

Well, it IS a SuperCub, and it isn't, puke, yellow. But it IS a CUB sir and damnable evidence against your character.

I'll have to give this some consideration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.