Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Building Wing??????

Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 PM
kid chuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Wing??????

I am building the Spad Extra: I got the plans on Spad to the bone. The wing is 24 x 21 with a 2 1/4" spar 3 1/2" from center or the flute you cut for the leading edge. I seem to be having trouble getting them bent over the spar without creasing the wing somewhere. Do you heat them some with a heat gun or make the spar heigth smaller or WHAT??????
Thanks for any help.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Default RE: Building Wing??????

Make sure the flutes are running cord wise.
Jeff
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
draftman1

the bottom panel will bend easy if the edge bend is too close to the bottom panel. make sure the leading edge bend on the top panel is away from the bottom panel at least a 1/4" of an inch. the bottom panel flutes run the wing span wise and if the bend is too close to it, it will put in a bind and the bottom panel will bend
Old 01-22-2009, 07:39 AM
kid chuckles

Draftman could you say that again. Call me a dumbbunny but i just don't understand. Do you mean move the spar away from leading edge further. That is what i was thinking, but also thinking about cutting the size or height of the spar down some. Sorry i just don't understand. Sounds kinda like your talking about two different pieces. I have one wing 24 x 21 and i cut the flute in the middle for the leading edge. When i bend it over it is fine but when i put the spar inside the bottom and top are bending. Close to the where the spar is. OR really right at the spar. I tried even splitting a couple flutes each side of the leading egde flute but that doesn't work either. Anyway this is the last step I need to get down. I have enough coro for one more try and i have to get it right.. Not easy to get the coro here.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:29 AM
draftman1

OOps, sorry Kid, I thought you were doing an RNAF wing. your flutes are running the wrong direction. they need to be cordwise, from front to back. that leading edge has to be scored heavley to get it to bend. I use a router to remove a line of flutes, that works much better. read the Debonair plans, all of the bending info is there
Old 01-22-2009, 10:57 AM
TheRealFrosty

Here are some SPAD Extra build threads with pictures to help guide you:

The original by acam37: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1980020/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1980020/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]
Omaha's swim noodle wing mod:[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2458922/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2458922/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]
My SPAD Extra mods:[link=http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11441&highlight=spadextra]http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11441&highlight=spadextra[/link]

Kris
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 PM
huck1199

Kid

Are you trying to build a symetrical airfoil or a flat bottom wing? I have built flat bottoms with the flutes running spanwise. Just cut some flutes for the crowning on either side of where the spar is located. I never run the flutes cordwise and my wings are strong enough to survive my crashes.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:07 PM
TheRealFrosty

ORIGINAL: huck1199

Kid

Are you trying to build a symetrical airfoil or a flat bottom wing?
If he is not making a lot of changes - the SPAD Extra plans call for a symmetrical airfoil of 2 mil coro and the flutes running chordwise.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:38 PM
kid chuckles

Thanks Frost I am using 4mm on the wings also, all I got Checked with all the sign shops in town and none had 2mm. I cut the wings with the flutes running chord wise and it is going to work fine. The plans I downloaded shows you alot and some is kinda hard to pitcure even though there is a photo there to look at if you know what i mean. But anyway thing everything else will come along fine. Now that i have the flutes running the correct way which was my fault to begin with. Kinda gets frustrating when you finally after taking alot of time to do it right you have the flutes running the wrong way lol.
Thanks to everyone for all the info.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
draftman1

thats great Kid, Im glad it worked out for you. Yes 2mm is hard to find. most places wont have it. If there is a Regal plastics by you, they have it. I just have to order mine from harbor sales.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 PM
TheRealFrosty

4mil should work. acam37 built a few with 4mil wings, if I remember some old posts correctly. I built my spad extra as my second SPAD after building a debonair and had lots of fun with it.

Papabear found some 2mil at Allied Plastics somewhere around Dallas, TX last year. The Regal Plastics in Oklahoma City acts like 2mil doesn't exist anymore even though I bought 3 4x8 sheets of 2mil from them in 2006.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 AM
kid chuckles

Frost that was 3yrs. ago maybe it doesn't exist anymore lol. When you get the wings folded as they should be, and your ail. attatched do you use epoxy to glue it all are or there better glues for doing this. Seems like alot of pressure needed to hold wing halves together. I have used epoxy on just about or all of it so far. Thanks again will get some more info when i start to mount wings to the fueslage. This is another step i really don't have any type measurements for. The plans i have show the wing mounted and all the holes and stuff but not how to make sure the wings are alinged properly or exactly where to mount them on the fuse. Thanks fella's this is a blast and without you guy's i would be lost on this thing. Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 AM
jaav

At least you know the next wing will be a breaze....I find the wing is the easier part..
Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
TheRealFrosty

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

When you get the wings folded as they should be, and your ail. attatched do you use epoxy to glue it all are or there better glues for doing this. Seems like alot of pressure needed to hold wing halves together.
I have only used CA to glue my wings together. In fact, I used the cheap super glue from Walmart. You just have to be sure not to use too much and also flash the corro first. Two rows of small dots of super glue staggered 1/2" from each other on one side works for me.

Before glueing or putting the spar in, fold over the wing at the leading edge and set some heavy weights on it, and let it set for a week. That should help some.

I always glue the back of the wing together first on my symmetrical wings, let set a day, an then slather the spar with Amazing Goop glue and slide the spar in from the end of the wing. You have to use a piece of wood or something to hold the wing open while inserting the spar. Some people slide the spar in and then dribble CA down each side of it instead of using Goop.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
MrGreenSpeed

When I build a Symmetrical wing;
I
Mark the spar glue lines top and bottom.(then wood pecker)
Glue the ailerons to the trailing edge of the bottom panel.
Score the Leading edge, fold the top panel to meet the bottom panel.
Trim the top panel to line up with the aileron hinge....if necessary.
Then glue the top panel to the bottom panel.
After the glue is cured overnight, slide the spar in sideways then flip it up, line it up with the glue lines and drip CA down the spar.

On the Spazzler wing I used a metal ruler to open the wing and set the spar in place.

Using a dremal router is the best way to score 4mil across the flutes to get a good LE fold line.

Good luck
Jeff
Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 AM
kid chuckles

I think everything is going to come together now. Thanks fella's for all the advice. I am going to do the glue the ail to the trailing edge and glue it all together and then put the spar in. I have it all lined up good and a good fit. Not exactly the measurements called for but within 1/4". And my wings were squared before starting the cuts. I also quickly found the dremal as a good tool for cutting across grain. I don't have the router bit, but do have a flat type wheel that worked pretty good. If i get a small place 1/16 or so where i went to deep and scared the wrong side I can just tape it up afterwards can't I. One spot on one of the wings i dug a little deep lol. Thanks again guy's you have been a great help. Once done will post a few pics of this awsume flying machine.