Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

40LA Spad trainer advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 10:30 PM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40LA Spad trainer advice

Hey folks...

I'm gonna build my first spad. I'm gonna use it to teach a couple people (or whoever wants to) to fly it. All I have sitting around is a pretty new O.S. 40LA. I've heard that the Debonair is pretty underpowered with this...so I'm open for advice. I have all kinds of gutter pipe laying around...otherwise I'd just build a BUHOR. I'd kind of like to use that stuff up. Any ideas? I could do a hybrid too, but don't know what will perform the best with the little motor.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2003, 11:15 PM
im_a_rcav8r

If you use a short piece of pipe from the engine to the back of the wing, then use aluminum U channel to the tail you will be in good shape. Use the wing plan from the spad trainer www.spadtothebone.com and it will fly like the trainer but will be liter...

GO SPAD!!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:25 PM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

I used a .40LA on the Deb and it pulls it around nice for a trainer.You could build a Spadet and it will be a little lighter.I used a 10x5 prop works great.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:59 AM
cropdusterdave

I'm a relatively coherent guy...so here's what I'm gonna do. Design my own. None of this stuff looks like rocket science, that's for sure.....here it goes...............
Old 05-09-2003, 01:29 AM
Quicker

None of this stuff looks like rocket science, that's for sure.
That's what makes it so great. I'm working on a fun scale P51 now. Wouldn't try this with balsa

Good luck and post pictures.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:38 AM
Woodsy

For a 40 LA a DPS with dihedral wing would work great as a trainer, or a HOR based on Deb dimensions and wing.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:04 PM
cropdusterdave

I'm thinking maybe a DPS with a wing similar to a BUHOR? I just ordered a bunch of 4 mil coro. I would just build a BUHOR...but there's no angle alum. stock in town and I have the whole day off!
Old 05-09-2003, 05:07 PM
bambam-RCU

I had my 40LA on my Vanilla Coke QHOR. It was turning an APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop and it would climb clean out of sight. The LA type engines are better off running larger diamiter props because they have more power at a lower RPM.

If you put a smaller prop on with a higher pitch, it will turn more RPM's but it will bogg more when you pull up and you'll notice a significant decrease in RPM's.

I've had good success with MAS 11 x 4's also.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:03 AM
Kripto

I have a 46FX on my Spadet and it will fly all day long on a 10oz tank just above 1/4 throttle I couldent ask for a better flying trainer and it looks every bit as good as the B@!$@ jobbers.... It would fly great with a 40LA as well.

Ed