Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

BUHOR....weight & see?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 06:30 PM
flynutz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUHOR....weight & see?

Putting together the BUHOR....this wing is HEAVY! Will my ol' 40 Magnum (10x6 prop)get it off the ground? The guys at the field are gonna' laugh hard enough BEFORE I even try to fly it! I riveted the frame, used nylon fasteners everywhere....even a plywood eng. mount. Bet I took a half-pound out of the original plans. The old Dura Plane foam wing has to weigh half as much (6" shorter). Trying to put together a plane that flies better (slower) than the Dura. Since I'm learning (wife says: "practice plane"); that's the reason for building the BUHOR. I have an instructor...he's gonna' laugh his a** off if this thing doesn't fly! Any comments/ideas?
Old 05-13-2003, 07:20 PM
ChrisSpad

its all about wing loading. I believe Tattoo flew the original with a ball bearing 28. your 40 should have no trouble getting it airborne. And, you are comparing apples and oranges. Where the wing might be heavier, the fuse is probably lighter than the duraplane's.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:25 AM
Hacker

she will fly...no problem
Old 05-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Tattoo

Just to prove it...I flew one with a .25...it flew GREAT! I even used a 12 ounce tank...flew for over 40 minutes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	78362_3860.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	46609  
Old 05-14-2003, 12:57 PM
flynutz
My Feedback: (1)

Default whew!

I feel more confident now. Thanks for the encouragement! Hoping I can solo this BUHOR. Solo flights with the Dura Plane weren't pretty! Mostly, landings. Lose confidence, stall, crash. Thank goodness it wasn't my b**** trainer! Must be sudden gusts of gravity.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:44 PM
secondchildhood
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heavy is a relative thing when it comes to planes-

I have a balsa 40 trainer that had been rebuilt a couple of times and it was heavy. With the small wing it had it was named the "flying ham" by my instructor. I

Since I've been solo for a few months I just built a 72" wingspan SPAD with average chord of 15" on a gutterpipe fuse. Powered by a .91 Mag 4 stroke. My bud's at the field picked it up and saind "wow- what a brick" I havent weighed it yet, but it aint light Well due to the large wing the wingloading makes it fly exactly like my 4 * sixty. In the air you would guess this plane was a lightweight, and it flys beautiful! You will really like the eperel Buhor style wing. BTW- it made a believe out of the naysayers when they saw it fly, and "float" in on a extreme low speed landing.

Build it- and fly it.

Dwight
Old 05-15-2003, 02:15 AM
JohnWinger

My BUHOR has a fairly gutless TT GP42 on it. Well, I am probably running it a bit rich, so it is not at max RPM. Anyway, it doesn't just leap off the ground on takeoff, but it flies very nicely at 1/4 throttle. It hasn't offered to stall at all. It is built to plans, except I used some heavier alum angle for the cross braces, so it is actually a bit heavier than the actual plans.

Yours will fly fine.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Alvin Souphound

Hi Guys,
My BUTTR (Big Ugly Twin 'T' Rails) got a bit twisted after flying in a VERY high wind doing some crazy acrobatics,and really stressed the rails. A rough landing didn't help either. I changed some of the cross bracing to 'U' clips, and that stiffened both rails without adding much weight. I also had a problem with oil getting on the rails, and the wing wanting to slide aft. I made a clip out of old coat hanger, ran it through the flutes of the wing wrap and then attached it to the front wing hold down screws. I put the clip on first, and then the rubber bands hold it tight.