Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SRR/Gate Rail

Old 05-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Alvin Souphound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRR/Gate Rail

Can't wait for the weather to break so we can get in a 1st flight on the my new SRR/Gate Rail. I've been unable to find 2mm stuff in this area, so I went for the 4mm for wing and tail feathers to the SRR plans. With the 4mm I did'nt get the nice upper curve Sassy had in the spar area, in fact it has a wedge shape leading edge. I'm going to try the wing as an experiment, and if it flys pretty decent, I will make another wing for it. Since the wing was pretty heavy for the light 'U' material, I cut a 20" piece of fiberglass gate railing (2"x 1 1/2"), for the main part of the fuse, and then attached the metal 'U', with tail feathers, R & E servos. I used 3/16" plywood for engine mount and attached a 3.5 (20) engine. My gas tank is a McCormick black pepper corn container. The size of the rail allows the RCVR inside the rail, under the wing. Original SRR plans did not allow for landing gear, and so 3/4" x 1/8" alum strap was used with a 14" stance. The tail wheel is located in the rudder, and captured by the rudder horn. All up weight is just over 3 lbs. Hey, the name of the game is.....if you think it will work.....try it. Right?
Old 05-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Alvin Souphound

Default SRR/Gate Rail

SRR/Gate Rail Flight Report:
Renamed....KIWI
Too much L/E wedge, insufficient lift and back to drawing board. I may try it again under better weather conditions, and shorter grass, but, it my opinion it had enough ground speed to get airborne.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:26 PM
upnflyin

Default SRR/Gate Rail

go to http://spadworld.net/ and do some searching for wing profiles. You will find that the wedge you seem to be talking about is not good for lifting. There have been past post about that problem there.
Al