Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Qhor Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 01:20 AM
Crash Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qhor Question(s)

Okay all you Qhor experts out there, I est flew mine today and boy what a mess.

Seems that I ended up with a LOT of down thrust even after making sure that everything was level, square, plumb and as near perfect as I could get it.

I level the fuse as seen in this pic - it is level and then put the level on the cutting board, the board has a slight bow to it that gives me the down thrust. Hopefully you can see how unlevel it is in this pic .

My first question is, is anybody familiar with this cutting board that I picked up at Lowes several months ago? It is solid white in color and about 7/16" thick. All I remember about it is that I got it from Lowes and it seems to work fine for firewalls.

Second question, since it seems to have developed a bow due to the weight of the GP42, can I use 3/8" - 1/2" plywood? What would be a good alternative to this cutting board?

Finally, this thing was really squirrly which I attribute to all the down thrust. Once that gets corrected, should it be difficult for an advanced beginner/intermediate pilot to handle one of these things? Would adding some expo help this thing easier to fly/control?

Thanks for any help,
Old 05-23-2003, 01:34 AM
rsieminski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qhor Question(s)

Mine has a little down thrust as well, but it still flies great. If there's too much, try putting a washer or 2 between the HDPE and the AL on the back screw. "this thing was really squirrly" yes! That's a good thing. Don't try to fly it like a regular plane, more like a PBF. Once you get the hang of it, any other other fun-fly falls short. It really is a great design. The only bad thing is that they need power to fly. If the engine dies, find a place to land now.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:52 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PQHOR

Try a 4 pitch prop, 10-4 or 11-4 on your GP .42 to keep the speed down and then don't use full power in level flight. A lot of beginners will try to fly at full power to get any plane trimmed, then slow down. Many of the Coroplast wing planes, especially if the wing is thin, will get wing flex and acting really weird, jump all over the sky. With my planes, it has been the wing bending due to air loading. Then when I give some control to overcome it, the wing flexes to the other direction and the plane does a "jump" direction change. You have to stay fairly slow unless you have a thick wing or use some kind of stiffener. I am using a TT .46 Pro.