Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

making a foam hot wire

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 AM
batchelc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: making a foam hot wire

Just make sure you have a fuse in series on one leg of the primary (110V) side. This will protect the transformer in case the load breaks (hot wire). I have a 2A on my setup, but you may need a different rating. Chris
Old 09-30-2008, 03:00 PM
zertsman

get the fire extinguisher and the burn kit ready..
Old 09-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Bandit 557

Andrwe66

Look at the picture.

Double check everthing and plug it in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35756.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1043879  
Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM
andrew66

well, i plugged it in, and.....nothing... wont get hot. i think that the transformer isnt quite powerful enough. i hooked it up to a 5 amp battery charger, and it worked fine. not quite as hot as i wanted, but not bad. im using a .18 guitar string and the bow is about 40" long.
i would use a charger, but the one i tested with isnt mine, and i dont really want to spend $50 on a charger right now. i was hoping to do this for about $30. any ideas of what i can do about this?
Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

Your plight has motivated me to dig up a link for you, enjoy.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628704]Building a Hot Wire Foam Cutter[/link]
Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 PM
andrew66

i think i found something that will work! there is a 6 amp battery charger at tractor suply company for $25. to controll heat, could i wire the dimmer switch ahead of the charger to controll the heat, or will that cause problems with the charger. if this works, i should be cutting wings in no time!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:46 PM
andrew66

apparently the charger mentioned only is in stores in the US. instead, i bought a $40 one thats 2/4/6 amp (black and decker smart charge) and guess what?..... the $#&^&*( thing says fault when hooked up to the hot wire. and i can only exchange it, but they dont have anything else that will work. is there something i can do to "trick" the charger into thinking its hooked up to a battery, or am i screwed? i guess i could trade with someone who has one that will work...
Old 10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about putting a clapped out battery on it, just to keep the charger happy, then hook up your cutter to it, although you'll still need a means of controlling the voltage between the batt and the cutter, it is fairly critical. I use a Dremmel tool speed controller. Another controller that works is a sewing machine speed controller.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:53 PM
andrew66

thats crazy enough, it just might work! would it be better to use a 12v controller (fan motor controller)
Old 10-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think a fan motor controller will work as they're made to run off 110 volts AC, but a speed controller for a plane would probably work.
Had to chuckle at the bottom of your post. I'm one of the old buggers. who's been cutting foam wings since the late 60s.

Gord.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
andrew66

i outsmarted my smart charger! i went to a battery store this morning and got a small 12v battery that was "no good" at first i hooked the cutter and the battery terminals together, and the charger still said fault. i then put alligator clips on the wires and hooked them to the terminals and then hooked the battery charger up (cutter wires and charger wires not touching) and it worked! i have 3 settings and they all work good on my setup. the 2 amp setting is a little "cold" for my liking, and the 4 amp is about right. the 6 amp i dont think i will ever use, cause its just a touch too hot. i guess i could use that setting for straight cuts cause i have to move the wire fairly quick in order to get a nice cut. finally, ive got this done. now i just need to get some templates made for my stubby scratch build i have going. i have the wings almost complete, but they do have a warp in them, and the finish, isnt as nice as i would like. i will still keep them as "spares"
thanks for all the help guys. i really appreciate it