Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Quick Questions on Building

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Quick Questions on Building

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 03:13 AM
MockV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Questions on Building

Hello Everyone,

I got a few questions that I've been thinking about. Can I get a little help?

-I was only able to get 2"x2" downspout (only $7 for 10 ft.) Is this okay to use?

-When I started my midwest aerostar, I was using a ca glue called Super 'T' by Satellite City. It's been working great on balsa, but has anyone else heard of this before. If so is this okay to use on the coro?

-What is the name of the metal used to form the landing gear? Or is there a cheep brand name from the LHS to use?

-And main thing was on trim schemes and plane designing. Does anyone have a definate system that works when painting their planes? I've been reading threads on this and I've seen a LOT of things that could be used. Some help on particular products and application would be wonderful here.

Well, coro shipment should be at my door on Tuesday. Man, I've been waiting a long time to get started. Been so busy lately. I'm getting VERY anxious to start building. First plane will be a Debonair.

Much Appreciated,
James
Old 05-25-2003, 04:56 AM
Kripto

I am no expert by any means but I have been testing a few ideas. The best thing so far is to use paint thinner with a scotch bright pad for prep and spray away with Krylon. With no prep I can scratch it off with my finger nail, after prep a screwdriver does littlt to no damage. As far as trim, I go to the local sign shop and buy scrap vinal materal and it works great for a fraction of the cost of monokote trim.

Just mt 2 cents
Ed
Old 05-25-2003, 05:35 AM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

You BUY scrap vynil?????? Ya need to find another sign shop .....Most of the sign shops will give you scraps......

Rustoleum also works great.....
Old 05-25-2003, 07:59 AM
Woodsy

2x2 down spout is fine but in reality it's probably 2 3/8 x 2 3/8.

never heard of that CA but it should be fine. the best CA is the coro CA from Handibond.

the LG is just made from 1"x1/8" aluminium.

for painting what indo is fine sand and clean then paint just about anything in a presure pack.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:10 PM
onewayHis

As far as painting goes.....just don't use CHEAP (translation - "crappy - no - name - brand" stuff) if you want it to hold up. Krylon, Rustoleum, and auto touch up paints work great.

Some of us just by rolls of "5 year vinyl" lettering material from sign shops or plastic suppliers - most of the time you can get it for about $1.00 / foot (15" wide) or less in virtually any color you want. Then just cut out whatever designs you want - razor blade and straight edge, etc. I've foudn that I can cut a piece 81/2 x 11' and run it through my printer for special designs, etc. OR just buy some plastic stencils from Wal Mart, etc. and trace out stars, circles, etc.

.............EASY.........CHEAP...............SPAD (Simple PLastic Airplane Dementia)

The Handibond CA (www.wright-flyr.com) ROCKS when gluing coro. Prep with Mineral spirits and scotch bright pad OR do the flaming method....either way this CA is the best.

Good luck, have fun, and remember..............the Spad-a-Holics Group meets at the flying field......every day for therapy and group discussions..............
Old 05-26-2003, 09:05 PM
MockV

Default Thank You!

Hello Guys,

Thanks for all the help guys. I whent to Lowes today and got some 1" x 1/8" aluminum for the landing gear. Only question I have about this is what tools/methods could I use to bend this stuff? I doubt it that I could bend it straight with my bare hands. I'm also going to buy some Krylon for painting. Couldn't decide what I wanted to use when I was buying the spirits at the time.

Thanks again for the tips. Now all I need is some vinyl when I'm finished building! Got all my supplies so far now!

Much Appreciated,
James
Old 05-27-2003, 04:06 AM
Captain351

I bend my aluminum landing gear with a vice and a large rubber mallet. I also make some cardboard cut-outs to gage the angle of my bends. I tape the cardboard to a T square and sit it on the vice while I'm bending. When the aluminum and the cardboard are parallel TLABR (That Looks About Right).

The 2 X 2 Gutter Pipe can actually be better for building smaller Spads because it's lighter. You should be able to do just about anything with it you can do with the bigger stuff but finding a decent sized fuel tank that will fit in it may be a problem.