Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Scored the wing, it won't bend!

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Scored the wing, it won't bend!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 07:50 PM
ajvpb
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scored the wing, it won't bend!

I'm building the coroedge 540, and I have scored the wing on the 3 score lines with a number 1 phillips screwdriver, punturing the coro inbetween every flute. But, it won't bend. I put piece of wood all the way across the center line, then another piece of wood behind the wing. I kneel on the first piece of wood and try pulling up on the other piece that is behind the wing. It will not bend. I'm pulling really hard, and it will get to 60 degrees, but will not crease on the score line. I'm afraid if I pull harder it will bend all over the place and ruin the wing. Should I take a knife and cut part way into the flutes?? Please help

Thanks

Alex
Old 05-26-2003, 08:05 PM
ChrisSpad

it sounds like you are using 4 or 6 mil coro. you need to be using 2 mil for the wings. It should bend very easily if you have it scored enough. The object is to crush the ribs, not to punch holes in the skin.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:14 PM
ajvpb

Can I still use the 4 mm? I don't want to have to go out and buy another 4x8 sheet of 2mm, because that is all they sell it in locally. What would you recommend I do, could I take a thin piece of metal, lay it on the score line and hit it with a hammer? Should I take the screwdriver over again on the ribs? Thanks for your help.

Alex
Old 05-26-2003, 08:41 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Default wing

You need a bigger hammer, seriously don't be afraid use some pressure bend that coro as long as you have a good straight edge supported with some weight and your good to go it will bend, score it and it will bend. you can use 4 mil you will be heavier but more durable but you may need a bigger engine
for a more maneuverable safer flight. not to say it wont fly
I always over power all my planes helps in a pinch.

measure to see if you have 4 or 6 mil don't go 6 ideally 2
Old 05-26-2003, 08:46 PM
ajvpb

I got it to work. I took 1/8 steel dowel, set it down on the score line and gave it hell with a hammer. It folded great. Thanks for the help

Alex
Old 05-26-2003, 08:50 PM
ChrisSpad

it'll fly with 4 mil, but, don't expect it to fly like a funfly. Weightwise it'll probably end up around 6 lbs. I suspect you'll run into trouble with getting it to balance with 4 mil for the fuse, the added weight of the 4 mil behind the cg is gonna be alot.
If you want a funfly, you really need to use 2 mil. Every ounce counts on the 540.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:47 PM
ajvpb

Hmm, thats good to know. Next time I will definetly get 2 mil for the wing. You say it is going to come out tail heavy. Even with the battery, reciever and all servo's up front do you think it still will? I am going to be mounting the wing to the fuse tonight, so I'll let you know how it is just like that. Thanks

Alex
Old 05-28-2003, 05:33 AM
art43

Default SCORING THE FLUTES

I got a tool at ACE HARDWEAR that is used to repair screen doors with. It has a handle with asmall wheel on each end. They are used to push the rubber in the channel that holds the screen in. They cost around $3-$4. Mashes the flutes down good.
art43
Old 05-28-2003, 10:34 AM
krazy_flyr

yup art43. that works great!!
Old 05-28-2003, 03:34 PM
beachflier

I hope this works. check this thread out.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...&highlight=jig

it this does not work search for Le Crusherr
Old 05-28-2003, 03:43 PM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: SCORING THE FLUTES

Originally posted by art43
I got a tool at ACE HARDWEAR that is used to repair screen doors with. It has a handle with asmall wheel on each end. They are used to push the rubber in the channel that holds the screen in. They cost around $3-$4. Mashes the flutes down good.
art43
I had a severe operator (me) problem with the screen door tool, but the flat-blade screwdriver on my pocketknife against a straightedge works like a charm.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:21 AM
art43

T.D.
Just goes to show, that there's more than one way to skin a cat. The wheel works good for me,just hold it up against a strightedge.
art43