Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Talon or Spadrastic

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 07:58 PM
ifly3dd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talon or Spadrastic

Are the Talon and Spadrastic planes the same, or is there a difference? If different, is one better than the other? I have plans for Spadrastic... where could I find plans for Talon?
Thanks
Old 05-29-2003, 08:07 PM
ChrisSpad

they aren't the same thing. Plastic Concept planes makes the Talon, and it is a great flying airplane. But, since they sell them, i highly doubt that Scott will be willing to part with his plans.
I designed the Spadrastic, on the other hand, and, it too is an awesome flier. I honestly don't think one has any real advantage over the other, the talon should, as it has a triple tapered wing, while the drastic is only a straight swept wing, but, having seen both fly, i can't see there's much difference.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:26 PM
ChrisSpad

they aren't the same thing. Plastic Concept planes makes the Talon, and it is a great flying airplane. But, since they sell them, i highly doubt that Scott will be willing to part with his plans.
I designed the Spadrastic, on the other hand, and, it too is an awesome flier. I honestly don't think one has any real advantage over the other, the talon should, as it has a triple tapered wing, while the drastic is only a straight swept wing, but, having seen both fly, i can't see there's much difference.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:39 PM
ifly3dd

Thanks, Chris.
what engine do you recommend for the spadrastic? is it just aileron and elevator, or do you make working rudder(s)?
where shuld the CG be and how do you check it?
DD
Old 05-29-2003, 08:46 PM
ChrisSpad

i thought you said you had the plans....

http://www.rccombat.com/forum_2000/t...?TOPIC_ID=2860

i'd make the fuse a couple inches longer, and chop it down if needed for balance. I balance mine at 25% mac, and thats about as far back as you want to go. If you vary the span, or chord, or sweep, the cg will vary. Best to plug what you actually have into a cg calc, with 25% mac. Enginewise, i run a ball bearing 47 on mine.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:21 AM
rsieminski

I just crashed my second tonight. I took the .46 off and put an MDS .68 on the nose. I think the elevator servo stripped, because it was not responding. It hit so hard it cracked the case. Jeeze, the case is $46 and the muffler is $20. Buying parts just doesn't seem practical.
The SPADrastic takes a little longer to build, but it's a geat flyer.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:03 PM
ifly3dd

i did have plans, but only the pictures, no descriptions. the rccombat site helped... thanks. one more question that i can't tell from the plans, do you lay out both sides of the wing full size, fold and then trim to make the final shape? and then glue on a 2 mm doubler on top and bottom? ok, that's more than one question. it looks like a fun airplane.

sorry about your busted plane, rick. how fast did you want to go with that .68?

DD
Old 05-30-2003, 07:36 PM
ChrisSpad

4. Lay the wing halves over the spar glue line, and trim as necessary to make the center sections line up. (if this doesn't come out just perfect, a 2 mil wing wrap will hide the blemishes). Fold each half over, and trim them as well so they fit the top of the wing.
9. Now trim the wing tips parallel to the centerline of the wings, I accomplished this by saving the peices i cut from the center section, and used them to get the correct angle with.