Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Need help quickly.Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 02:58 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help quickly.Please

First I watn to say that i just started building my first spad and I cant beleive how much fun they are to build. Thanks to tattoo and everybody else that contributes to spadtothebone.

Now here is my question. I am going to build a 25-32 sized spad. I have a choice between 3 engines.
A used os25fx, a used tt pro36 or a new os40la. What would you recommend? My next spad will probably be a 40-46 sized but I have a few 46fx engines laying around for those. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the 36 or 40. They are probably about the same engine. Always go with the bigger engine, you can always throttle back.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:43 PM
Crash90

Thanks. So we've narrowed it down to the os40la or the tt pro36.
Weight is close (i think the la is .5oz heavier) and they both have the same Rated BHP.

So i guess putting price aside. It comes down to which is the better engine as far as least maintenance and most user friendly.
Oipnions anybody?
Old 06-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

I'd have to tack mine, but I'd say the .25 fx is probably close to as powerfull as the .40 LA.

The real question is, what are you going to do with it? If it's a trainer, go with the 40. But if you want performance, the .25 fx, on an apropriately small plane will be a hoot!
Old 06-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I have an OS 40 LA on my PBF 24" x 24" and this motor is great! This thing for these light coroplast designs has TONS of power. I got this motor from a friend and he said he hadn't started it in a good 2 years. Had only 30-40 runs on it and said it might be a little hard starting. I choked it and flipped the prop probably 50 times to loosen it up. When I applied the starter it started right up! I didn't hand flip it so I can say first flip, but definately first electric start hehehe. Its a good motor.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Woodsy

It depends a lot on what you want, i have a 40FP on a standard coro fuzz DPS and it's a pleasure to fly, for the 25 i'd build a coro stang or spit or for the 36 may be a 90% DPS.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:52 PM
Crash90

I've decided on the tt.36 on a 25-32 spad s. I like Tattoos digfighter but I will add landing gear and a rudder. I hope it flies well. How are the slow speed characteristics? also. Does anybody see any problem with making the spar out of yardsticks?
Old 06-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Woodsy

Yard stick spar is NORMAL for SPAD, as for low speed, i'm yet to build a SPAD with bad low speed habits, i know low speed stalls etc are aproblem on some scale balsa planes but i've never had it on a SPAD