Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Scaling up a Spad design??

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Scaling up a Spad design??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 12:20 AM
troyp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scaling up a Spad design??

Hello,

I have a Supre Tigre 61 engine that I have brought secondhand. I want to build a spad for it and was thinking of giving the corospit a go.
I am wondering how I would go about scaling up the sizes of the original plans to make it a suitable size for a 61? I'm not sure how much larger I would need to make it to suit the 61 size engine.

Thanks,

Troy.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:57 AM
Woodsy

have a look at the SPADstang and the Corostang and see what the relationships are, then apply the same to the Spit or maybe just build the big stang to start with as it's already been done
Old 06-02-2003, 03:43 AM
troyp

Woodsy,

Working off your advice then If I take the wing span of the Spitfire which is 44" and multiply it by 1.3 I get 54.6" which is about the wing span of the Spadstang. So what I was going to do is first convert all measurements on the spitfire to metric to make it easier to work with and then work out what figure to mulitply the wingspan by to give me the wingspan of the spadtsang and then use that figure to multiply all other measurements. Will this work or will I lose the scale of things? I am not that good at maths so not sure how to do it and still keep the scale the same.

I don't want to make the spadstang because I cannot get the pvc pipe.

Thanks,

Troy.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:25 AM
Woodsy

Yep that sounds about right.

you don't need the pvc pipe, just make 1/4 ply or 5mm coro formers to substitute or do what i've done before, use the 100x50 PVC and cut a 50x65 U section as formers then just adapt the plans.