Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

SPADet Flight Analysis.......not so good?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPADet Flight Analysis.......not so good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 01:25 AM
brianairplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPADet Flight Analysis.......not so good?

Hi,
Flew my first SPAD today and the flight wasn't too successful but the durability of the plane (SPADet) gets an A+.

Seems like every time once it took off it went up kinda steeply and then it pitched down and crashed. This happened several times the same thing repeating itself. I'm unsure as to what exactly caused this behavoir and would like some input from those who have flown a SPADet already or have some insight. Is it possible that it could be to nose heavy? Or perhaps the ailerons were set wrong (slightly above level). Like I've said....this is my first SPAD I built and first SPAD I"ve flown so I'm not to familiar with their eccentricities (if they got any) I've run out of possible ideas....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

I attached a picture. NO airplane damage except a broken prop. SPADs rule!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	83375_32184.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	49032  
Old 06-03-2003, 01:27 AM
brianairplane

one more pic.........gotta love these SPADs!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	83376_32184.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	49033  
Old 06-03-2003, 02:27 AM
ChrisSpad

its tailheavy, not nose heavy. That, and you may have too much throw on the elevator. Relative to the thickest part of the wing, where is it balanced, exactly?
Old 06-03-2003, 02:28 AM
Captain351

Did you balance it?

Mine came out way nose heavy when I built it I had to move my battery way back to make it balance.

Put the wing on with a few rubber bands and it should balance on the spar. You want it to sit level or slightly nose down.

If it balances OK then other things to check would be the incidence of the wing and the tail make sure both are parallel with the fuse. Also make sure the ailerons are level with or slightly raised to the fuse.

Mine flies great and has no bad tendencies.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:13 AM
upnflyin

From your post it sounds like you might be taking off going right into a stall and falling out of the sky. Do you try to feed in a little down elevator to keep it level until it gains flying speed? That was my first thoughts. The nose heavy sounds possible also. I fly mine and its great. Takes off smooth and gentle and lands just as good. Love flying it. Are you experienced flyer? If not have a pro take it up for you to check it out first. Good luck and don't give up on the spadet just yet.
Al
Old 06-03-2003, 03:47 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it is tail heavy and possibly too much travel on the elevator possibly combined with rotation at too low of a groundspeed during takeoff.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:33 PM
brianairplane

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CG should be right below the spar (with an empty fuel tank) for the SPADet.....right?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:11 PM
ChrisSpad

well, yes, no, maybe. One thing thats become apparent over the last few years is that due to differences in how people build, and where and when they measure, and cut, which side of the line they put the spar on, etc, etc, on the spar is a starting point, nothing more. Most of the ones i've built with straight wings end up about 1/8- 1/4" ahead of the spar. If its dropping the tail on takeoff, you are either forcing it into the air too early, or, its tail heavy, or, the ailerons are drooping, or all 3, or, you have a wing, or engine thrust problem.

First thing i would do would be to reflex the ailerons up til the trailing edge is approximately 1/8" higher than level with the fuselage. Then, i'd move the cg at least 1/4" forward (before reflying it), and then see what happens.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:25 PM
dickj
My Feedback: (1)

Default Spadet problems

Sounds like my Spad Dominator test flights in the beginning. My CG was off due to my conventional thinking on where it should be. Read the CG portion of the following link for your Spadet:

http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Spadet/

I think this will fix your problem as it did mine.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:57 AM
Kripto

Well my Sapet did the same thing, I built a coro 540 and it flys like a dream OMG this thing does it all!!!! Thanks Chris I love the design....

Chris Spad Rocks....

Ed