Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Sturdy Birdy II

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
teddiepos10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturdy Birdy II

I bought a Sturdy Birdy II kit at the Barks meet for $20... Everything looks good all parts and pieces even a tank and adjustable engine mount... My question is will it be ok to drill some 1 1/2 inch holes in the fuse to lighten the plastic??? I plan on lining the fuse with 1/16x1/4 balsa so that I can apply monocote over the fuse... Also will an O.S .25 power this model???
All comments welcome...pics to follow..
Old 01-30-2009, 08:47 PM
mustangman177

Default RE: Sturdy Birdy II

Oughta work. Not sure why you would drill holes in the fusealage to lighten it, then re-covering with balsa.

Try posting in the "Questions and Answer" forum. May get more responses to this.

As for the power plant, what does the box say is recommended for this model. Not sure what this model is.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:54 PM
teddiepos10

Just balsa strips... to give the mono something to stick to... I need to protect the radio gear for another project..
Old 01-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Nix the monokote and just cover it with clear shipping tape. OR you can cover it with low temp monokote or even just trim strip. Don't make so much work out of quick, easy and fun. Sides, the only glue that really sticks to PVC that I've found is PVC glue, and it don't stick to much anything else. That wood will be popping off and leaving you with a mess anyway.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 PM
teddiepos10

Clean

Thanks for the heads up.... I'm taking your advice and nixing the mono on the fuse here's a pic of my progress...
I chose to cut the aluminium to make room for the servos.... I will be adding another bolt behind the cut section for support...
I did this because the servos were a little to snug for my liking...I need them in good shape for the mustang... This is really just a thumb retrainer... hopefully a couple good flight and I can switch birds...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77655.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1128478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14768.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1128479  
Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Some servos are pretty snug in the channel, a little sanding usually makes em fit though.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
teddiepos10

Just upgraded to an O.S. 35 FP... Found a great deal...