Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Rebuild attempt using coro

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Rebuild attempt using coro

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Phoenixangel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild attempt using coro

Hi folks,

All, a huge tree jumped out in front of an old trainer I have, "cough cough" ...any way I rebuilt a wing with coro and yardsticks just a simple flat bottom design that is the same size as the old wings. The airfoil is the right shape but I cant get the bend to smooth it has a rough look to it. Is this thing going to fly ?? lol ... any tips on bending this stuff smoothly ?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 PM
A6Ordie

Default RE: Rebuild attempt using coro

Picture? the better the airfoil the better the flight, but it should fly fine. You can make a RNAF wing 2mm on top flutes going chord wise. 4mm going span wise. If you can find 2mm in your area. Another way is to fold 4mm cord wise and sandwich in some 4mm ailerons span wise. You will have to work on the leading edge part of the fold by scoring it a lot. You can notch the inside flutes as well at the leading edge. You can use a dowel to give you a good straight leading edge too. Here are some pictures of a H9 Alpha I had to replace the wing on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67329.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1127052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14127.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1127053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12898.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1127054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm31151.jpg
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1127055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34799.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1127056  
Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 AM
riond

Try going to www.spadtothebone.com There are all kinds of ideas as too building wings. And for scoring the coro for bending, I use a screen roller and a metal straight edge. Works good. Take a look at the Spadet wing plans or the Dogfighter plans. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Phoenixangel

Thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated, after I posted I took a few scraps of coro ( well they all were old soda sale signs to start with 4mm) and started working on the bend spanwise. I discovered if you cut the skin on the coro on one side between every other flute, you can get a perfect bend with a lil trimming.

Then I became worried about it being to soft so in the areas I cut I put a few dabs of elmers ultimate glue, 3 dots in every trimmed flute.So I removed the material causing the warping bend and replaced the bond with glue. Made the bend around a piece of yardstick and stuck a clamp on it to hold. Today after work I can remove the yard stick and throw the wing against the concrete and still have a perfect airfoil.

So I started adding weight to the top of the lil wing to see the crush point without a spar the cut and glued area held the airfoil shape until I had 6 pounds of book setting on top of it. .With a spar this would rock as far as strength goes, and u get perfect bends spanwise..

Thanks again.

P.S. I am now addicted to S.P.A.D and coroplast building.