Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Own Design Electric SPAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
sweetdudeplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Own Design Electric SPAD

Hi Team,

Well after being blown away at how well these spad's fly I decided to build an electric one with some components I had from a Pheonix Model Tucano plane. I got the spad bug hard and wanted to see how a simple electric one would fly! I have never built a plane without someone elses planes before and decided it was time to have a go.

Powered by -

Eflite Park 450, 890kv Outrunner with 10 x 4.7APC SF Prop
Venom 25amp ESC
2100mah 3S Lipo Battery

I have completly forgot the dimensions I built this to and have now included landing gear since the pic was taken, if anyone is interested in measurements etc let me know and I will measure up etc. The Aluminium U channel was 16mm all sides and I built the entire wing out of 2mm Coreflute, am going to maiden her this arfternoon so will let ya know how she goes!

Cheers,

Sweet

Pic -
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51779.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1149000  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
jib

Default RE: Own Design Electric SPAD

Good luck with the maiden flight!

I'd like to see some approximate dimensions, as I have a speed 400 geared motor I'd like to stick in a SPAD.

Take your time, I have a few more projects before my E-SPAD.

Jack
Old 03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Villa

Hi sweetdudeplanes
That is a fine looking SPAD. I too like landing gear on all of my planes. Take-off, landing, and taxiing is a big part of my flying. Many of my planes/designs use the aluminum fuselage like you are using. Anyone down there consider building a SPAD Flying Lawnmower?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:10 PM
mclina

That looks pretty cool. It is similar to one that I built, initially with an aluminum fuse, but later with a couple of yardsticks wrapped in duct tape. It flies like a little Derelict.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21868.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1149520  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 PM
sweetdudeplanes

Well success!

Maidened yesterday and flies very well, got to move wing forward 1/4" or so as I reckon it was a tiny bit nose heavy. Flight went really well had a cricket pitch to take off from and it was airborne in half the length. Very happy with how it flies rolls and loops no dramas has plenty of grunt!

Have now redesigned the wire landing gear, I went with a thin strip of aluminium as the wire broke at a joint silver solder wasn't strong enough! (I think it was more operator error with the solder) Will bolt the new gear on this arve and give her another fly,

Very happy with it flies beatifully,

Cheers,

Sweet.

PS - will measure her all up tonight and post dimension tomorrow for those interested.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 AM
MrGreenSpeed

Congrats on a successful maiden flight [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]
Jeff