Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

electric spad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Korben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric spad?

I'm new to the rc world, and am looking at different options for birds. I'm interested in the spads because I have 5+ years working for a sign shop and frankly I can get it at will. I'm mostly wanting to start with electrics so I can fly them at the park. I'm wondering which of the spad flyers would convert over to electric the easiest.

Thank You

Old 03-21-2009, 04:06 PM
vorona.russia

Default RE: electric spad?

No problem! You can convert any spad from glow to electric

Look at my 100%-spad airplane - DSLR carrier .60 class but electric. It powered E-flight Power 60 brushless and 6s 3700mAh lopo

many photos and link to videos - http://vorona.org/view.php?thisitem=air

[link=http://vorona.org/cover/vorona.php?imagetoshow=39604543457931b.jpg&returnto=air]

[/link]

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:22 PM
draftman1

Korben. any plane can be made electric. the biggest downfall is the battery size. the next question is, if you plan on flying at the park, you will need to have a plane that can be flown at the park. that type of location would probably fall under the AMA's PArk flier class. most of the regular size planes cant be flown at parks. due to the pace they need and safety concerns. Park fliers have a max weight or size or power. Im no expert on park fliers. so in turn, you will probably need to stick with the 25 and smaller planes. you will need to check the rules on that. Also you will need to check to see if your regular AMA will cover you in parks that are not a sanctioned field. it would suck to hit a jogger or something and get sued over it because you really wernt supposed to have a plane there. build it light
Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 PM
A6Ordie

I've seen coro cut and made into planes like [link=http://www.electrifly.com/flatouts/gpma1112.html]this[/link] one. Foam is lighter, but coro is much tougher and cheaper in your case! This is a parkflier sized plane. You will need a slightly larger motor for the coro version since it will be heavier, but more power is good too. Just remember that coro is heavier generally. Not a bunch, but enough to where you will need slightly larger motors and batteries for planes that you build. There is an electric section at www.spadworld.net that might give you plenty of ideas.

Good Luck! and send me some coro and sign vinyl
Old 03-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Team_Monkey

You will have much better success at a park flyer if you can get 2mm coro. 4mm is fine if you are looking to build a larger more powerfull bird although 2mm is fine for those as well.

Check out what we've done on spadworld. There have been mini Demons and mini DPS models made with great success using fairly cheap, low power systems.
Good Luck!