Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Just Maidened my Saturday Night Special

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Just Maidened my Saturday Night Special

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:55 PM
sweetdudeplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Maidened my Saturday Night Special

Hi Team,

Well thought i would post a pic of my new SNS from spad to the bone after totaling my QHOR (this plane was way to good for the pilot), I had her in the air today and now have a new favorite, man does it rock. I can't believe how tight this thing turns.... was a bit worried about landings as i have never belly landed one of my planes before, but this thing floats forever and I can wash heaps of speed off it bring it in is a piece of cake! I love the crush protection on the wing for this plane as well works a treat i have now done the same to my DPS. I think my DPS is going to get a little jealous for a while - SPADs rock, thanks again to STTB and the gang.

Build details - Motor Magnum .46 bearing motor, all built from 5mm coreflute, 50 x 100mm PVC gutter pipe wing sits on the 100m side, dual aileron servos and 6 oz dubro tank, no rudder.

Cheers Sweet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89343.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1162866  
Old 03-22-2009, 07:39 AM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Just Maidened my Saturday Night Special

"crush protection"??? Nice looking plane. Got to love those Spads. Thanks for sharing the good news about your maiden. My recent maidens haven't had such good luck...but..I WILL solve the problem(s)...

What is "crush protection", please?? thanks Rich
Old 03-22-2009, 12:35 PM
A6Ordie

Congrats on the Maiden!! great looking airplane. You have 3mm available right? You might give a look at the RNAF wing from the DPS plans. Great wing or you could make an all 3mm wing with a 5mm aileron that's like the CoroEdge plans. Not for this plane mind you, but for future builds.

"crush protection" is those pieces he has at the leading and trailing edges of the wing where the bands rap around an apply the most pressure to the coroplast. Usually most people use a scrap piece of 4mm coro with the flutes running spanwise and wrap the center of the wing where the bands will be going. It also seals up a seam in the coro for dihedral wings. Especially needed when 2mm or 3mm is used for the wing. If you look at most banded on wing plans on STTB you will see what I am talking about.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 PM
draftman1

ORIGINAL: A6Ordie

Congrats on the Maiden!! great looking airplane. You have 3mm available right? You might give a look at the RNAF wing from the DPS plans. Great wing or you could make an all 3mm wing with a 5mm aileron that's like the CoroEdge plans. Not for this plane mind you, but for future builds.

thats what I was thinking, an all 3m wing would elininate alot of weight and it would fold better. you would get a nice curved upper wing with it. I bet that 5m was hard to bend.
the plane looks great
Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 PM
MrGreenSpeed

If You have enough 3mil build the wing like the all 4mil BUHOR wing.
You be impressed with the performance over the triangle style wing.
http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Buhor/Wing/wing.html

just My .02ΒΆ
Jeff
Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 PM
sweetdudeplanes

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I though about using all 3mm for the wing and 5mm ailerons but I only had 5mm on hand and the wife is starting to count the pennies I have been spending building these planes!

Definetly will go 3mm on the next one as it is a little on the heavy side, flies exceptionally well though I should have also drilled a few lightening holes in the pvc as it is a bit heavier than what u guys use due to it's size.

My mate who was with me gave me a 9 out of ten for the landings so was even happier with that!

Cheers,

Sweet.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:16 AM
jaav

Sweetdudes, Where did you get the Square gutter from?

Been told cant buy it anymore due to building regs..
Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 PM
sweetdudeplanes

Straight of the shelf from Bunnings Jaav, they had plenty instock when I was there it's the 100 x 50mm stuff in 3m lengths,

Cheers.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:03 AM
mclina

Great job on the plane. You must have some excellent eyesight to be able to see that thing in the air. It must be nearly invisible against a cloudy sky.

Very nice plane
Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 AM
sweetdudeplanes

Yeah i definetly have to put some colour on it eh, was running out of time to get her in the air so decorations will take place later on. Suprisingly the 5mm coreflute was no trouble to fold (i built the wing with no assistance) i think with the flutes running span wise helped, i would have no chance folding with flutes chord wide that's for sure! I reckon a good scoring is the trick....

Sweet.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:06 PM
MrGreenSpeed

The best way to score 4mil or 5mil across the flutes is with a dremal router with a 1/8 bit, You cut almost down to the out side skin.
2 or 3 separate scores 1/8" apart will give a relatively round LE.

Jeff