Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Spad Construction question

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Spad Construction question

Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 PM
RuninWideOpen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spad Construction question

Building the Spad Stick Right now from the plans on "Spad To The Bone" and I have a couple of Question When you build the Pie shapped Stab and Rudder it says to cut out a single flute on the last 2 inches to use as the rudder Right Do I do the same thing for Ailerons because it looks like they have you sandwitch the Ailerons between then wing top and bottom . ALso I built 3 bulk heads from Coro 2 layers thick and glueing them so the flutes are going different directions now what should I do to attach my firewall? this is my first spad ......thanks for your time
Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 PM
draftman1

Default RE: Spad Construction question

make the firewall out of 1/2" plywood then just glue it in. you can put some screws throught the coro if you like. I ususally make the ailerons about 1 1/4" plus 3/4" that sticks in the wing panels. pm me if you have any questions
Old 04-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Team_Monkey

You can glue in the firewall if you plan to never crash or don't mind more repairs if you do. Not slamming draftman, he's a good dude.

If you do plan on bouncing a bit, mounting with screws is your best bet. You'll want something on the outside of the fuse to help spread the force of the screw head on the coro. 1" wide strips of 1/8" PLY, LUAN or PVC (cut from downspout) around the outside of the fuse will work fine. Even large washers would be fine, you just want something to spread the load on the coro so it doesn't crush. You're also far ahead to cut some sections of BBQ skewers and jam them in the flutes where you plan to drill the mounting screws. If you are using the 4" fence post inside, just follow the directions for mounting the firewall.

Yes the 'rons glue between the wing skins. They mighht be double 4mm but the still hinge on one flute wall.

You've got to build a bit more beefy for the USS depending on the engine and how you plan to abuse/use it.
That being said, once you're OK with flying and repairing as needed there are many ways to build lighter gassers.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
draftman1

yeah TM, thats a better way than how I said it, thats for sure, repairs? I usually have to do them also, my kids beat them up pretty bad, well I do also[&o]