Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Finally built a combat Plane

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Finally built a combat Plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 PM
TruBlu02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally built a combat Plane

Ever since SPDAFest '08 I have had this partial fuse and built up wing from a Hell on Rails combat plane. I got it for free from Mr. Clean but never got around to putting it together. Well a couple weeks ago I got bored over the weekend and starting messing around with it. It turned out I had everything I needed to put it together minus a few pushrods and some odds and ends. So by the end of the weekend I had assembled the plane you see below. As it sits right now I have an OS 20FP motor, Futaba Reciever, 700mah Nicad, 2 Futaba S3004 Servos, and 1 each S148 Servo. It is built exactly like the plans on STTB except for I have battery behind the wing instead of in front of it. It was just a little to nose heavy for my tastes. Got it balanced 1/4" behind the wing spar with an empty tank.

I have gone through a fair share of SPAD's but this one probably is the most fun to fly. It is incredibly simple and really tough. I was getting pretty crazy last flight and seeing how low I could get to the ground at WOT. Well it turns out I got to low and it mowed into the tall grass . Picked it up and wiped off the grass and flew again! It is far from a powerhouse with the small OS on it but it gets around ok. Now I am trying to get my buddy to get one together! Pic Below.

Thanks again Clean!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28810.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1193913  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
draftman1

Default RE: Finally built a combat Plane

congrats Flyboy! it looks like a fun plane! I have found that my combat planes tend to be more fun, maybe its because the "combat" part is a mindset and its ok it goes down. have fun with it BTW, wait tile you put a 25fx on it, look out! are you going to SF09?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 PM
TruBlu02

No, I am out for SF09. It is too close to my Vacation and I really won't have the extra cash. Plus right after I will be leaving for Air Force officer school so I am going to be home as much as possible before I leave. Its a shame cause I was really looking forward to heading out for this years SPADFest. I ahd a great time last year!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 PM
draftman1

Thats right, I remember you saying that, well if you can get to Oregon at the end of july??? I know you had family there Spads Over The West Coast event
Old 05-07-2009, 05:24 PM
TruBlu02

I was actually planning on being in Oregon at that time til I got my selection for OTS. I won't be back from training till the end of October. RC flying in general is going on hold for awhile. []
Old 05-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I like to do the bowling with mine. What I need to do and this is a hint for you, put a nose skid on it to keep the prop from hitting the ground and killing the engine, then go do the bowling. I've scraped wingtips more times than I can count with it. At the speeds it travels it's pretty hard to hurt the plane. Jimmy found a way around that though, he's got a 32 on his!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM
TruBlu02

I remeber when you gave the plane to me last year Clean and you showed me some of the different ways people have designed the engine mounts. I am going to cut out a new one with some sort of guard for the engine. I took it out yesterday to wring the rest of the bugs out of it and the engine absorbs alot of the landing abuse cause it hangs out in the open. I think a wire skid hanging down from the front would be good for bowling. I also just added a larger carb to my 20FP. I had the carb from the 35-40 FP and it fits right on the 20. I added about 600-800 RPM's to the top end of the motor. I was able to tune it out to 15K on the ground backed off to 14.8K. It really cooks along pretty well now. That is with an 8x4 MAS.