Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Pardon my ignorance. What is S.P.A.D.? Corolast?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Pardon my ignorance. What is S.P.A.D.? Corolast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:28 PM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pardon my ignorance. What is S.P.A.D.? Corolast?

Gentlemen,
Pardon my ignorance......but this is the first time I noticed this S.P.A.D. forum................and I am perplexed, bewildered as to what is coroplast........and is that the most popular structural material for these S.P.A.D. airplanes? I also noticed posts that are regarding installing .47 glow engines..............seems this is a very interesting way of building RC airplanes. My next question is....how advantageous is S.P.A.D. construction over the traditional balsa/plywood/fiberglass construction?
Thanks for your patience.
larry
Old 05-23-2009, 03:36 PM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pardon my ignorance. What is S.P.A.D.? Corolast?

larry go to spadtothebone all one word and look at the plans you could build one for next to nothing and if you crash chances are you would just replace the prop the planes are made out of 2 1/2 gutter pipe and sing material super glue and a yard stick have a look and see michael
Old 05-23-2009, 04:57 PM
microsprint9

SPAD is "Simple Plastic Airplane Design", coroplast is a plastic cardboard type product, it is mostly used for signs, election signs are an easy way to get some ( after the elections are over ), it's avaiable in many colors and is quite tough. As suggested above, visit www.spadtothebone.com for more info.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:00 PM
draftman1

Hey Larry,  spads eh?   Spads are planes that are made from coroplast and pvc gutter downspout.  Spad means    Simplified Plastic Airplane design.   it is just another way to build planes and enjoy this great hobby.  there are very few rules and the construction is fast and easy.  The best thing is, is there no monocoat to fool with.  I fly spads exclusevly and have had a great time doing it.  it proves that r/c  planes do not have to be made of balsa.   the Spad to the Bone site is down at the moment but fel free to go to www.spadworld.net and check out the forums.

Spads are cheap and easy to build.  usually for less than 25 bucks for an airframe.  there are combat planes,sportplanes, 3d planes, scale planes and anything else you can think of.  also check out my site for spad info also. if you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

Old 05-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Spadinator

What Draftman said is correct. My last airframe I built cost me around 8 bucks and has survived multiple "rough" landings. Spads are the best.