S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Coro weight Vers. Others????

Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM
mattkaine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Coro weight Vers. Others????

So I am curious. I was at my local Hobby Shop and was asking if he knew of anyone locally building with Coro cuz I am getting ready to start doing some experimenting. And he was very Anti Corro. Said that there were a couple of ppl that tried it years ago but had since moved on to some type of foam because the Corro was too heavy and flew like a "Rock Sled". I am not for sure what a rock sled flys like so not real sure on that point. Being it isn't one of his kits I sure he would be against it. I am not going to let his oppinon detour me much but it did get me to thinking. How much do these birds weigh compared to a similarly sized planes of different materials???? I have access to a couple of 26cc to 40cc Chainsaw/Weed eater motors and Found a good source for free 2mm Corro. Your local Bar/Pub!!! Yup the bars beer distributor like Budwiser brings in these long 2mm sheets that have some kind of promo stuff printed on them usually are like 3ft by 10 or 12ft long and they use them like wall paper. After a month or two they bring in new ones. Just give the distributor a call and ask when they plan on replacing the old signs and go get them. Heck my dist, since I Play music at a bar and know the dist, is giving me some new stuff that was "DAMAGED" in shipping. LOL

Any who... I was planing on making a few smaller proto types before building with the bigger motors. Considering Ihave never actually flown a plane. I have my 4 RC CCPM Helis I fly and done plenty time in the RF4.5 Sim. Got me wanting to build a plane. The Idea was to build cheap and almost free. I have TX, RX Servos. If corro is pretty heavy means Iam going to have to purchase a bigger motor instead of using the .40 2 stroke I have. Iwas wanting some thing in the 48in range like the Spad twist. He is running the .82 engine and I hoping it is a 4stroke not a 2 stroke. Is the weight that much different between the Spad Twist and the Twist 3D 40??? They are almost identical in size and demensions. From what Ican tell they should be close to the same weight.

So far I have not been able to locate a supplier for the larger thickness Corro any one tried Just using 2mm and layering like plywood to get the right thickness?? It would probably mean that you could use 2-2mm sheets curved and bonded to each other for thicker parts. Without to much added weight. I am definate newb here so any insight would be awesome.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 PM
draftman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Coro weight Vers. Others????

Welcome Matt to spads. you will get that kind of answer from most all of the hobbyshops and most pilots. Spads are a little heavier but if built right,. they will fly awesome. Spads are all that I fly. If you got to www.spadtothebone.com there is a stick that is designed for a small gasser. its under the ultra stick page. as for the coro, wow, you can get alot of 2 mil but cant find 4 mil?, usually its the other way around. the 4 mil is about a 1/4" inch thick. the 2 mil is about 1/8" thick. 4 mil is what all sign shops carry and is the most common. yes the twist has a 4 stroke. there are a few planes that can use a .40 also or put your .40 in a .25 size plane. there are a few of them also. On the spad site is an awesome trainer called the spadet, it uses a .46 and is an awesome flying plane. its also very durable. Spads also can penetrate the wind better also. when its windy, the balsa guys are affraid to fly. here is a video of a coroplast kaos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZFHBeV_qE8
Old 06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Clean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You'll want the plans to the Ultra Spad Stick for the big Gasser motors.  Stupid Balsa Biggots have their ways, we have ours.  We'll fly with anyone, and we don't care what it is their flying.  Not so the other way around.  But the majority of folks in the RC world don't care either, it's just the biggots that need to feel superior.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:29 PM
draftman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

right on Clean!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 AM
mattkaine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah I have ran it to the type before. I have a saying that goes" the only type of motorcycles I don't like are the ones with a**holes on them. " I run into them at times more and more here lately. I am a natural born tinker/builder of stuff. Maybe not always great stuff but it least I can say I built it. The last project I built was I took a 1978 Honda CB750 Drag bike and chopped it out so that it now looks like a Harley from the 1950's. Why you might ask??? Well I like finding kids on their Crotch Rockets and betting them I can beat them 2 street lights. Most have no clue as to the difference between top end speed and low end torque. All they know is their bike will do 200mph. I like taking their money and giving them a bit of an education. They are always cool as can be and real curious as to how my ol rat bike walks off and leaves them. And all have given me compliments on the bike build. Its the new "Rich" bikers that think that if they go spend $20,000 on a Harley it gives them the right to walk around with a chip on their sholders. Even the old school biker gang guys dig it even though its a honda. I just don't get some ppl. Who cares what you spent on something that 1000 other ppl have too. It is always cooler if you built it yourself and have a one of a kind.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 AM
TheRealFrosty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mattkaine
He is running the .82 engine and I hoping it is a 4stroke not a 2 stroke. Is the weight that much different between the Spad Twist and the Twist 3D 40??? They are almost identical in size and demensions. From what I can tell they should be close to the same weight.

So far I have not been able to locate a supplier for the larger thickness Corro any one tried Just using 2mm and layering like plywood to get the right thickness?? It would probably mean that you could use 2-2mm sheets curved and bonded to each other for thicker parts. Without to much added weight. I am definate newb here so any insight would be awesome.
yes, the Saito .82 is a four stroke. My SPAD Twist is about 4 ounces heavier than my Balsa Twist. I was very careful on the SPAD to keep the weight down. I spent a little more money on carbon fiber rods to use to stiffen the ailerons, rudder, elevator, and horiz/vertical stabilizers instead of using bamboo skewers to save weight. I also did not use very much sign vinyl for decorations to save weight. I also used #4 screws instead of #6 sheet metal screws to save weight. All those little things add up...

You need to use the 4mil instead 2 2mils IMHO. The 4 mil coro should be available at [link=http://www.regal-plastics.com/dallas.html]Regal Plastics[/link] and [link=http://www.alliedplastic.org/ourlocations.cgi]Allied Plastics[/link] in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I have bought 4mil and 2mil coro from Regal Plastics in Oklahoma City - but last time I checked with them, they where iffy on being able to get the 2mil.

Kris.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:44 PM
richg99

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you can get and use 2mil you are way ahead of many who build with 4. mill...They are just wishing that they had access to 2mil.. In most cases you would NOT double up the 2mil to make it thicker. You might add a  few more formers, though.

I'll visit my local bar(s) and see if I can get a few of those signs.  Thanks for the idea.
Rich
Old 06-19-2009, 08:28 PM
mattkaine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am starting to wonder about the actual size of the sheets I found in the bar they may very well be 4mil. I am not 100% sure. Either way they are still free and I get a big kick out of recycling stuff that would normally be trashed.

I was planning on  building the Mig7 by David West. I really like the lines of this little fighter and it says to it is for a .20 to .26 I thought about enlarging by about 10% and using my .40 motor. Then after I get the bugs worked out try scaling it up for the Larger gasser motors. It seems fairly straight foward as to the constructions.

I am pretty sure North Texas Signs here in sherman can order 2mm. I was thinking the stuff that was in the bar was 2mil so I picked up 2, 4'X8' sheets of  4mil for a grand total of $20. They say they put in their orders on Tues So I may just go ahead and order a sheet of 2mil if the the stuff in the bar is in fact 4mil. I will check tonight. Either way super cheap.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:01 PM
draftman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that mig is an awesome plane!    you will enjoy it, very fast.  good find on the coro, yeah thats cheap.  20 bucks here
Old 06-20-2009, 10:32 AM
richg99

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Regal Plastics in Houston ordered me some 2 mil from their Austin location.  I see that they have a Dallas area shop. You might call them and find out if they stock the 2 mill in Dallas. They do not stock it normally in Houston.  I paid about $14.00 a sheet for 4 mil in bright yellow.  In 4 mil white it was a little bit cheaper.

regards, Rich
http://www.regal-plastics.com/
Old 06-20-2009, 11:08 PM
mattkaine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So I checked last night and the bar stuff is 4mil. So I am going to go order some 2mil on monday. I am hoping not to have to drive over an hour to get it. But I will if I have to. I was looking at Coroplast dot com and there US plant is at 5001 Spring Valley Road, Suite 400E Dallas, Texas 75244
Fax: 972.392.2242

So it shouldn't be to hard to just go to the source and get it from the manufacturer.

I live in Denison,Tx which is about an Hour north of  the DFW  Metropex. but at the same time I go down there every now and again for something might just have to pick up a few sheets just to have on reserve.

I printed out my plans last night got them all taped together and Laminated one side. I am going to glue the patterns down to some HDF and cut out permenent  templates so I can build a few of these. Guess I have the Coro Plane building  bug LOL
Old 06-22-2009, 05:52 AM
mattkaine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know this is just slightly off topic. The question is should I go ahead and add rudder control??? The plans don't have one and I sure prefer the planes in my sim that have rudder control.  What do you guys think??? Looks like I have plenty of room  for an extra servo.  I am also thinking about getting some gyros and using them as well. I sure like what they do for my Heli's.  Be kinda cool to take the little bird out to the Local Air field when I get it done and get it in a hover on my first airplane flight. I can hover pretty well  in my RealFlight 4.5 sim  using the hardest settings,20mph winds with the Yak 54 and definetly can do it all day long with the Yak54 with the gyros. I don't know just tossing ideas around trying to figure out what kind of critter it is that I want to build.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:25 PM
mattkaine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just thought I would give you guys an update since you have been so supportive. This weekend me and my son built a NON-flying model for "research". I didn't have any 2mm corro or light ply yet and I figured I would mess up the first one anyway so just decided to build something to hang in my sons room at his moms house. and this is what my first plane ever looks like.......

Knowing it would never fly I used 4mm corro for the fuselage formers and wings. I used a 2 Ltr orange crush bottle that me and my son drank while building this little bird. I still have to paint it and attach the paper weight that was formerly a McCoy .35 and prop from the 1960's . Then I can send it back with my son the next time he comes to visit. Knowing that this plane would never fly he still had a blast building it and I am sure it is one of those memories he will keep with him the rest of his life. I was suprized at how easy everything went together. The wings were a little tough but it was due to using the 4mm instead of the 2mm. I learned quite a few things and was able to try out several different bonding techniques and get them right and not have to worry about them failing mid air. For my first plane ever it turned out better than I expected and have since made the 2hr trip to get some 2mm. I am not for sure which plane I am going to start out with as this MiG7 for sure is not an entry level flyer and I want to be able to teach my son to fly as well. Thanks a lot guys!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 PM
mattkaine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess I did something wrong because now it isnt showing the pics I posted in last msg. Here they are again. Maybe this will work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47836.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	1225336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92089.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	1225337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51864.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	1225338  
Old 06-26-2009, 10:25 PM
draftman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cool plane there Matt. just a note, I dont use light ply on the formers, I just use scrap 1/4" and 1/8" ply from my old cabinet shop. it works fine. for your boy, I would definatly build the spadet. the best coro trainer out there! IMHO. I learned on the deb but after doing the spadet, I regret not doing the spadet first. If you can do the mig, the spadet will be a piece of cake
Old 06-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Adui

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a note on the formers. I'm new and still learning, but i didn't have ply (other than the 3/4" peice I used for the firewall) so I used pieces of 4mm corro cut out to fit the former spot. Seems to be working well. Admittedly that bird isn't complete so I dunno how she'll fly but I doubt the formers will be the issue if I have one.. (Bipe build, and my first complex spad) Unless someone here who has more experience gives a good reason not to I say try it, its as light or lighter than ply and nearly as strong.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:16 PM
mattkaine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Adui I am not for sure how far along you are on the fusalage, but if possible I would cut a second set of formers with the flutes set to 90deg to the ones you already have. Just to be on the safe side. It will only add a few grams of weight but it will definitely strengthen it considerably. Just my 2 cents. I know mine for sure wouldn't be strong enough and the section between the wings and tail would twist.

Search this Thread