Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Spad Dazzler sort of.....

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Spad Dazzler sort of.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 PM
SPADinfluence
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spad Dazzler sort of.....

Threw this together a few weeks ago. My Mother passed away and I haven't done much fiddling with it lately. Maidened it with a poorly running Tower .46 and it flew well, but wanted to nose dive. Checked the angle of incidence after landing, oooops forgot to check that before flying. Shimmed it and replaced the engine with a OS .40 swinging a Top Flight 11X4 and will retry the maiden this weekend. Landing was a breeze and I hope she'll fly 3D once I get the engine sorted out. May need more engine. Throws are ridiculous and expo is my friend along with dual rates! Should be a blast to do upcoming IMAC contests with to mess with the balsa boys!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:47 PM
TruBlu02

Default RE: Spad Dazzler sort of.....

Cool plane!! Looks allot like a SPAD I had awhile back. They are alot of fun to experiment with. Slap some floats on it and toss it on the water. SPAD's make the best float planes since nothing can be ruined! Here is a video of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hi-MCqtBFY
Old 09-05-2009, 01:23 PM
SPADinfluence
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Spad Dazzler sort of.....

Flew today two flights. The TH.46 was replaced with an OS.40 and an 11X4, tach'd out at 10300rpm.
Changed to a 10X5 and the tach went up some, but still wouldn't pull the thing. Underpowered for sure!

Here's the blow-by-blow:

Take off was smooth, but upon climb-out she wanted to try to go straight up, and the engine wouldn't pull it. Climb out after settling in was uneventfull, setting trims as we went. Needed some down trim I thought but really couldn't tell because I was fighting the near stall speed fight. Turns were easy, but lazy due to underpower condition. Throws are way off the chart but after the first flight I took expo out of it and it made me smoother in the air.

After a couple patterns, she lined up nice for me down the centerline and we made a low slow pass with 40 degree angle of attack. Could have hovered if she had more nuts.

After a SLOW climb out and approach pattern was started, she died turning onto base so I set up a good glide onto final and just short of the runway had an attack of dumb thumbs and over corrected a couple times on altitude, ending up dumping short of the runway and breaking a prop, a wing dowel, and pulling a screw out of the firewall mount. No other damage other than stripping a gear out of the throttle servo.

OBSERVATIONS:

The short tail moment makes for a twitchy airframe front to rear. Be on your toes. She will go to a waterfall in a heartbeat from a vertical climb.

The wing works well. No tip stall tendacies. Nice flat glide once pointed the right attitude.

Throws are set up for 3D and will be fine with enough power, probably needs a .60 to really perform.

STILL, I like the airframe and think it will be a good performer with enough power. Great 3D potential. I will go to a GMS .76 and retry the thing later this year. Got a lot of other planes to get up and flying first...

I will put plans together if anyone wants them..

Mark