Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

New to spads!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to spads!

I just realized what a spad is!
We print signs on this material at work so I have a supply of it.
I've been looking for a project to use with my TTPro .36 engine and I'm wondering what my spad options might be???

I'll start browsing this forum but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

I'm wondering what the size limits are with this stuff?

Pop
Old 11-10-2009, 03:18 PM
NvMike

Default RE: New to spads!

Here are two great places to start

spadtothebone . com , many free plans

spadworld.net discussion board

NvMike

Old 11-10-2009, 04:03 PM
draftman1

hey Pop, welcome to the crazy world of spads! I do alot of spads.

I see that you have coroplast, thats awesome. i am assuming you have whats called the 4 mil thicknes, aprox 1/4"
thick, thats great, thats the normal sign thickness. but alot of spads are built with the "2mil" also. it is about 1/8" you will need a good supply of that also. Spads are a great way to fly on the cheap.

Mike has the two biggest sites there. the original planes and the forum site. if you are into skype, there is a SPAD group, you are more than welcome to join, I am draftman11 on there, its a good way to get info and interact.
also there is a joker that has done some build videos for spads on youtube, draftman3 is this insane guys name.
if you like to be different, not of the normal and like planes that are easy, fast to build and cheap, Spads are for you
and what i like the best, "no monocoat"

pm me for any info on spads take it easy Andy
Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 PM
icerinkdad

And there are a few of us doing SPAD control line... my favorite is mixed corplast and foam construction in a CL combat wing... about 450 sq inches with a deep 2" airfoil... and over 100 mph with a 36 on it. Now drop servos into the wing and get rid of the lines (lots of drag there) and it would be far faster than I can fly.....
Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Popriv

ORIGINAL: draftman1

hey Pop, welcome to the crazy world of spads! I do alot of spads.

I see that you have coroplast, thats awesome. i am assuming you have whats called the 4 mil thicknes, aprox 1/4''
thick, thats great, thats the normal sign thickness. but alot of spads are built with the ''2mil'' also. it is about 1/8'' you will need a good supply of that also. Spads are a great way to fly on the cheap.

Mike has the two biggest sites there. the original planes and the forum site. if you are into skype, there is a SPAD group, you are more than welcome to join, I am draftman11 on there, its a good way to get info and interact.
also there is a joker that has done some build videos for spads on youtube, draftman3 is this insane guys name.
if you like to be different, not of the normal and like planes that are easy, fast to build and cheap, Spads are for you
and what i like the best, ''no monocoat''

pm me for any info on spads take it easy Andy
We must have the 4 mil as the planes I see online look thinner than the stock we have.
I'll check out the links provided. I like the idea of quick and cheap.

Pop
Old 11-11-2009, 02:21 PM
dked41

I too am new to the SPAD world, and our local sign shop only stocks 3 and 6 mm.

dekd41
Old 11-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Villa

Hi Poprive
Once you have built a few SPADS you can look at the Canard I designed and built. It is a great flying machine. One of the features that I came up with is mounting servos and other component inside the main wing. The detail drawings and building instructions show how I did it. See http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3580825/tm.htm
If you have any questions ask them on the Canard site and I will answer them. I also designed and built a SPAD Lawnmower. You can search for the detail drawings and build instructions at RCUniverse.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 PM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Wisconsin...this place seems to sell it. You might give them a call. Rich

http://www.muellergraphics.com/Wide_...ue_Smooth.aspx
Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 AM
dked41

Thanks richg99, 2mm is on the way!!

dked41
Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Popriv

I just got some sheets of 2 mil and 4 mil....
I have 2 electric planes I have beat up so I want to use the power systems from them to create a couple of spads.

One is an easy glider pro power system and the other is smaller. From a parkzone Super decathlon. Both are brushless motors.

The wife got laid off in June so I dont want to spend any money now so this will give me something cheap to work on as the weather gets cold.

Now I have to figure out what these power plants will lift/fly.
The decathlon lists as 16.oz so I guess I can use that as a target for building.
The easyglider system currently uses a 12 inch folding prop to get to altitude and then glide. Here I will have to change to a smaller prop.
I'm thinking something like an uglystick type of plane??? I think the easy glider is 32oz but its a different flying than I want now...

I dont want to burn up the motor or the esc.....

Steve