Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Really stupid question about coro...

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Really stupid question about coro...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 01:42 AM
Piraro76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really stupid question about coro...

Well, I'll probably be the laughing stock of the entire forum now, but what the heck... The only stupid questions are those you never ask, right?

Ok, here goes... Is it possible to roll up coro sheets? I know how dumb that sounds, but I'll be goofing around in a hot city all day with that roll on my back, so I was a little worried about warping and such And dragging a 4 x 8 foot coro sheet around can be somewhat... unmanageable

Ok, now you can laugh
Old 07-06-2003, 04:00 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think so. It will crease and bend and be unusable. I can get 4 X 8 sheets in the back of my 4 X 6 pickup box, but I curve it up around my back window so I can close the tailgate. It's a gentle curve. The stuff is just to stiff to roll.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:47 AM
DLSmith2

Piraro76,

Not a stupid question. Coro won't roll and maintain the properties you want. I would suggest figuring out what size sheets you need (with the flutes in the correct direction) and cut the 4'x8' sheet into those dimensions.

A good suggestion is in the SPAD Debonair plans HERE.

It would be easier to haul a few 2'x4' sheets around (and tell everyone it's your "new airplane!") than the full 4'x8' sheet.

Blue skies,

DL

BTW, a stupid question is like when the woman went to her doctor for an exam, and the doctor looked at her and says: "Well, from the test results, it looks like you're pregnant!" The woman looks back at the doctor and says: "Are you sure it's mine???"
Old 07-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Piraro76

lol DL

Ok, thanks Guess I have to bring a knife or something then...
Old 07-07-2003, 12:38 PM
daver29

Do bring a knife... but if you have to carry it arround for long... don't cut it all the way through!
Figure out what sizes you want and what cuts to make and then basicly cut hinges at the dimensions... then you can fan-fold it and carry it in one piece without them sliding on each other, and being so hard to handle.

(jut my $.02)
Old 07-07-2003, 08:23 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

If it's OK to ask stupid questions...is it really OK if the ali rail can twist by about 20 degrees. Nearly finished my SPA3D with an Irvine 46.

Anybody add anything to prevent the rail twisting ?
Old 07-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Tattoo

If it's OK to ask stupid questions...is it really OK if the ali rail can twist by about 20 degrees. Nearly finished my SPA3D with an Irvine 46.
Very good question, because one of the first impressions of a Spa3d from someone who is used to ridged airplanes is how much the wing flexes and the fuselage twists...in general...the floppiness of the airplane. First of all, the stability of the plane in the air relies in the flex of the wing...and just wait until you inevitably dork it trying for the tail touch When a conventional solid ridged airplane hits the ground, the forces have to go somewhere...and that is usually the force that causes it to explode. When a Spa3d hits the ground, all this inherant flexibility takes the punishment, very often with no damage. So, to answer your question, yes, tail flex is normal.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:38 PM
DominicM

Default Flex

Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

One other question. On the 5/32" music wire...Wouldn't it be better to use a 4mm carbon rod than a flexible wire ?
Old 07-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Tattoo

One other question. On the 5/32" music wire...Wouldn't it be better to use a 4mm carbon rod than a flexible wire ?
The sky is wide open to improvising, and pretty much doing anything you can come up with when you build a Spad! If you can get 4mm CF rod, by all means do it! As the guy who wrote the plans, I have to be very selective in the materials I use, simply because I try my best to make sure someone who wants to build one, can find all the materials. Music wire is readily available everywhere, it's cheap, and it works great. CF rod on the other hand may be more expensive and harder to find, and I don't want to frustrate people who can't find it...especially when there is an ACE hardware right up the street.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:20 PM
DominicM

If wire does the job wire it is. Did send the little woman off to the music shop today with exact instructions but she came back with 1/32" music wire.