Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Glass vs. Wing Wrap

Old 12-20-2009, 11:15 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass vs. Wing Wrap

Guys, would it be possible to glass the center section of a wing instead of using a wing wrap? The wing wrap is the toughest part of the wing for me since there's no easy way to clamp it and it is also the most unsightly.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:54 PM
draftman1

Default RE: Glass vs. Wing Wrap

Patrick, use the bricks! wrap it around the top, then around the leading and trailing edge, fold it over then set the bricks on top, your done!!!

my buddies are calling the bricks "jed clampits"
Old 12-21-2009, 10:43 AM
PatrickCurry

When you're building a trainer with 5" of dihedral, I just don't see any way to lay bricks on it to get it flat.  You would have to lay it on its bottom to put bricks on it and if there is dihedral, the bottom is V shaped and there's no way for the bricks to press down on both sides simultaneously.  I always end up with a gap. []  The wing wrap has been the most frustrating part of a build so far for me.  I usually end up slapping Goop in there and hot gluing the outside to hold it until the goop sets.... I like hot glue, but on a joint like that it's pretty unsightly.  Jed Clampits.... that's funny.  You should make it Jed Clampits (tm)  LOL  I *am* getting more used to using the bricks and they're awesome.   They might have to go back and edit STTB under resources and include Jed Clampits.....
Old 12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that epoxy will bond well to the polypropylene Corrotex material, if used for glass wing wrap. CA might be better, but I think the common understanding is that the brick and wrap approach works best.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:40 PM
draftman1

once you get the wrap on, flip the wing over so its upright, then put the Jed Clampits on it. I usually go with 3" dihedral also.

trust me, it can be done
Old 12-21-2009, 07:14 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I do in cases like this is to use long strong wide sticks like paint stirrers (that are free from Home Depot, etc). I put one across the chord on the bottom and one on the top of each half of the wing so they are on top of the wrap. then take rubber bands or spring clamps to clamp the ends of the sticks together or to whatever point of almost touching that hold the wrap to the top and bottom of the wing. They conform to the curve of the top and provide uniform clamping force to the whole wrap.

If this is not clear, let me know and maybe I can draw a scetch of what I am talking about. This trick can be used for a lot of things including holding fuse sides together, to aligning the ailerons/rudder/elevators to the fixed surfaces for setting up the controls. And, the sticks hurt a lot less when you drop them on your foot than the bricks.

Sincerely,

Richard
Old 12-21-2009, 09:52 PM
PatrickCurry

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

I don't think that epoxy will bond well to the polypropylene Corrotex material, if used for glass wing wrap. CA might be better, but I think the common understanding is that the brick and wrap approach works best.
Yeah, I was wondering about that SW. I was thinking about trying WBPU and the glass material. Might take a couple apps of the PU to get it smooth.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:05 AM
PatrickCurry

Ok, I'll check the build videos and see how you line them up and I'll give the Jed Clampits a try on my next one. I'll give the paint sticks a try too SW and see which works out best for me. I'm going to try harder to find 2mm coro too or just order it online. I don't want to get frustrated trying to fly with too heavy a wing loading.