Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Maiden Gnat Flight

Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden Gnat Flight

Installed the OS.15LA and ran a couple of tanks through it.
My 4oz fuel tank was to high and fuel was pouring into the engine so I ended up moving the motor mount ON TOP of the aluminum fuselage.
This worked well. WILL MOVING THE thrust line of the engine up by about 1/2' matter? ( seems like more of the thrust will be above the wing instead of below it?).

Desperate to try this out so I headed out into the 20 degree weather on Sunday.
Started it up up at the field ( I think I'll add a little hand hold ) and gave it a toss.

It flew great! I'm surprised by the power in the little .15 ( still running it rich) ( My Gnat weighs in at 2.38lbs )

I had to add in about 1/4" down elevator to keep from climbing.

Did a couple of rolls, It did not want to loop, it would fall off to the side.

I flew all on low rates. after about 5 min. I cut the throttle and glided in for a landing. ( more like dropped like a rock!) I tried to set up the prop to stop horozotaly but its not consistent and I snapped the prop.

I'm working on a single sky to project down a few inches to give it something other than the prop to land on.

All in all it flew very well. already planning on a revised model, lighter and with a little more airfoil shape.

Steve
Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Maiden Gnat Flight

Glad it flew well for you Steve.  Somewhere I've seen a video of a guy with a Gnat that had just a single wheel LG right in the middle.  It actually ROG and landed pretty well without the prop hitting.  You might try that.  I hadn't even considered my tank height when I put mine together.  I mounted the engine under the mount too and the tank is up on top of the u-channel.  Might have to move that...   
Old 01-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Popriv

ORIGINAL: PatrickCurry

Glad it flew well for you Steve. Somewhere I've seen a video of a guy with a Gnat that had just a single wheel LG right in the middle. It actually ROG and landed pretty well without the prop hitting. You might try that. I hadn't even considered my tank height when I put mine together. I mounted the engine under the mount too and the tank is up on top of the u-channel. Might have to move that...
I didnt think of the tank hight untill I hooked everything up and fuel started running through the engine out the carb. So I had to move something.
Like I said, I dont know how moving the thrust line up affects anything?

Due to snow I'll try the single ski.

What does your gnat weigh?

I have a problem where the fuel tank does not fit between the LE of the wing and the back of the engine. So the tank is raised up sitting on the wing...

steve
Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Villa

On some of my planes the fuel tank is a little too high, flooding the engine when the engine is stopped. I use a spring clip to close the fuel line. Been doing that for years. As I recall, the rear engine on my SPAD Pusher/Puller, with a pusher prop, required that clip when the engine was stopped.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:20 PM
PatrickCurry

I had the same problem with my fuel tank fitting where I wanted it to so I found a 4 oz. spice bottle that fit ok and made a fuel tank out of that.  First one I've made so I hope it works out ok.  My Gnat weighs 2 lbs. 10 oz.  I have not learned how to build light yet.  LOL
Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 PM
draftman1

congrats on the successfull maiden. it sounds like it flew like a gnat! a fun little plane, it wont glide though
Old 01-11-2010, 08:05 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello SPAD flyers. Our club just started flying indoors in a gym for winter excitement and exercise. Are there any SPADs that are small/light/slow/agile enough for indor flight? TIA
Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Popriv

ORIGINAL: draftman1

congrats on the successfull maiden. it sounds like it flew like a gnat! a fun little plane, it wont glide though

Should it do a loop?

It wouldnt on my maiden but I had the throws way down.

Prop broke on my first landing and I had not reamed out my backup prop, DOH!, so only got in the one flight.

Next Gnat the fuse will be out of pine with a hardwood motor mount. and I'll switch to mini servos. that should lighten it up a bit...

steve
Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 PM
PatrickCurry

Yeah, maybe it's your throws because in all the videos I've seen the Gnat is pretty jiggy with loops and such.  I think in the instructions it says to set your throws to as much as you can get so maybe just change that and give her another go.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 PM
PatrickCurry

On second glance (just now getting back around to finishing up my Gnat) my fuel tank looks too high.  I haven't strapped it down yet, but here's a pic of it:  http://picasaweb.google.com/patcurry...86947793492674

The tube on the bottom of the tank is the feed.... It's about an inch and a quarter above the inlet on the needle valve.  Even moving the engine to the top of the mount is only going to reduce that by a half inch.  You guys think I'm going to need to relocate that tank or change it for a different one?  I wasn't even thinking about the height when I got it to fit right there.  []