Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

os .10 spad

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:56 PM
planeboy95
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os .10 spad

Has any one built a SPAD that uses a O.S. .10?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: os .10 spad

I have a FNM with a 10 on it, but it needs just a little longer wing. Originally I had a 25 on it and it was a balistic missle. Rudder Elevator ship that would do rolls going straight up. With the 10 on it I use it for night flying but it needs a good launch.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
planeboy95

Think the Gnat would fly ok with a .10?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think the Gnat would fly good with the engine designed around it. Remember, all the airplanes on the SPADtothebone site are there in progression. Some are winners, some are offshoots and some, well, lets just give em a pass. With an LA 15 on a GNAT it will just about fly but you have to mind your manners. I'd just go with an all 2 mil wing but put 3 or 4 more inches per side on the Friday Night Special http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/FN...i_15_size.html and if that's too much wing, cut an inch per side off. Once in the air the 10 will pull it fine and gentle. The rudder/elevator and throttle will help keep the weight down too as you don't have the riggin of the ailerons. You can fold a fuse out of 2 mil for it and if you do, add a little tail length to it. The originals were always a little close coupled for my taste. That's mostly because they were dogfighting, would have a streamer on them and they were trying to get as many fuses out of a stick as possible. And if all you have is heavy american fuse, the shorter probably is better. Light Canadian pipe if you can get it will be better too.

You can go with the Saturday Night Midget which is an aileron ship. Again, I'd add a little more wing to it and plan on lazy flying.

I saw one of the Friday night birds with the fuse on the top. It looked sweet.

But the Gnat doesn't score very high in my book, haven't seen one fly that impressed me at all. The only thing close is a PBF with a 25 on it and a 10 is a far cry from enough power there.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 PM
planeboy95

Ok i think i will try the SNM. i'm using a .10 because some guy was selling a rtf balsa plane (an ugly one) for $50 dollars and i couldn't resist. Also, should i use a 7in prop the engine manual suggest or a bigger prop?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Part of what defines FUN for a sport plane is it's ability to climb and hang in the air through tumbling manuevers. A typical .10 with a 7x3 prop will not be able to haul much more than 24 ozs with much authority, so plan accordingly. You might find that a 8x3 prop works OK too.
Yeah, a .10 will fly more..if you enjoy wallowing around at full throttle constantly trying to gain 50 feet per minute. I'd rather take up sleeping as a hobby, if that's the case.

Even with a .15 powered sport plane, consider 28 ozs as a very easy to reach target weight [made from wood] for great all around performance. So, round up your necessities and weigh the whole works in advance before committing to building a "brick" out of coroplast. So far, I haven't seen much under .25 sized that would fly well as a SPAD.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 PM
planeboy95

Hmmm then does anyone know of a plane that can use a .10? other than the FNS
Old 06-29-2010, 12:45 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

I'm with Clean on the Gnat..... mine's built pretty much exactly to plans and it has an OS .20FP on it and it flies, but I haven't found the "sweet spot" on the CG yet....  It's pretty fun to fly but it's a labor.... I have to fly her kinda methodical to build up some altitude and she *seems* underpowered but I don't think so...... I think it's definitely a "tinkerer's" plane.  If that's your thing, knock yourself out and you'll have a lot of fun because I've seen videos of the Gnat really cutting up.  I started out building a clone of an electric foamy that I *love* that I was hoping to run a TT .10 on but she's up to about 3 1/2 lbs now so I know the .10 is out of the question.....  I guess the "good deal" is not always a value but I bet you'll find a project for it sooner or later..... I have an "arrow shaft, 2mm polyhedral, old-timer" bouncing around in my head but I'm not there just yet.   Maybe my .10'll find a home there when I get around to it....  Keep on keepin' on!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 AM
OzMo

You might try a pizza box flyer. 18" x 18" might be ok. Use the standard 24" square for proportioning.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 PM
rrh

http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14253

Flew pretty good until the wings snapped. An arrow shaft would keep that from happening.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 AM
planeboy95

I was doing some surfing on the web and i came across the mugi Tea Racer. I think that might work with a few modifications.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:21 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you pose the question about what would be a good model for a .10 at the 1/2A forum, I'll bet you get 6 answers or more within a few hours.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:22 PM
fix-n-fly

If it doesn't have to be a spad, try House of Balsa - they have several planes that will fly beautifly with a .10. Also the Ace Simple Series of kits should work with a .10 just fine.