Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

SPADS Over the West Coast 2010

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPADS Over the West Coast 2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPADS Over the West Coast 2010

This years fly in, the second annual SPAD's Over the West Coast will be held once again at the Evergreen Aeromodelers home field on the site ofthe Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinville OR.

The event will be held the weekend of July 17th and 18th. Hotels are within 5 minutes of the site, and there is a possibility there will again be camping on site. (TBA) Landing fee's are $20.

This years theme is the "Warbird Invasion" centered around those Spads we build that resemble combat aircraft, and are often used in RC combat events!

Bring your Spads, bring your fun, and lets fly!!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 AM
draftman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SPADS Over the West Coast 2010

I sure hope there is camping again[X(]
Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Adui

Today I confirmed there will be tent camping in the Oak grove adjacent to the field, just like last year. So event goers bring your tents!

RV parking is still authorized in the back lot, as always.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:53 PM
jib

Excellent! Aaron and I are planning to be there.

I'm working on finding a way to bring my smoker down. . . . . . .

Jack
Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
WestCoastFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

I'll be there again, I'm really looking forward to the event. You're a great bunch of guys/sons/Evergreen club members. I was one of the guys hanging out and watching on Saturday last year, and this year I have a spad to bring! It's a Gnat. A guy I know built the airframe for me a couple months ago. I added rudder with steerable tail wheel, aluminum landing gear and put an OS 25LA on it. It weighs 3 1/2 pounds and it doesn't necessarily groove through the sky... It's more like fly by the seat of your pants at every moment keeping it airborne But it's fun to fly in spite of that.

I'm going to try to make it down for Friday, but Saturday for sure.

Dave
Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 PM
draftman1

Hey David, glad to see you will make it. the gnat is more of a 3d type plane, also I found the CG on the plans wasnt in a good spot, I think it had to be moved back 3/4" I might be wrong but thats what I recall
Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM
WestCoastFlyer

Hi Andy,

Are you going to be there by Friday afternoon / Friday evening? I assume Terry will be there on Friday. Also, I met Roger of Evergreen a couple months ago, he's a great guy. It turns out he knows some guys I know. Evidently Roger wasn't there on Saturday afternoon last year.

This Gnat is a handful, I'm sure it's a weight issue because I saw another one fly decently as an electric, no gear and no tail wheel. The biggest issue flying mine is the fact it refuses to allow the elevator to be trimmed. It flies on the prop and as long as you constantly "fly it," it's fine.

Dave
Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM
draftman1

hey David, I will actualy be there on thursday at Terrys. we will be there sometime friday around noon.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 PM
jib

I'll be arriving during the mid-afternoon on Friday, with my son Aaron; so there are two more pilots. We had a blast last year!!!

I will bring my smoker down, probably Texas style Brisket and baked beans on Saturday night. . . . Maybe sausage and bacon for Saturday AM.

Jack
Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
WestCoastFlyer

Hi Jack,

I'm sure the others will agree, your spad aircraft were impeccably designed and engineered. If I recall correctly, you're an engineer in real life? If your BBQ smoking skills are half as good as your aircraft engineering I think there is some amazing BBQ waiting to happen. I assume you'll start the brisket on Friday night? I'll have to figure out what I can bring down to BBQ and share. I also remember, if I'm not mistaken, your son won the limbo contest? Actually, all the sons were absolutely great flyers - I'd say better than the dads but I don't want to ruffle any feathers. [sm=wink_smile.gif][sm=what_smile.gif][sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Dave
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 AM
jib

Ah, the man knows his way around a smoker, has a great memory, but a huge overestimation of SPAD building skills, unless you are thinking of Andy! <grin>

Yes, the smoker will be lit friday eve, as the brisket will need 16-18+ hours. I'll be chatting with Terry about how big the crowd will be, so I know if a 12-14 pound packer will be sufficient. The smoker is a Weber Smoky Mountain and the brisket takes up the bottom grate, so there is another 18 inch grate currently unoccupied, except for breakfast stuff. The smoker will be running at 225 F, on lump charcoal, with cherry and pecan wood chunks; sweet and a little spicy. I"m thinking Pig Candy for breakfast Saturday morning.

Let me know what your thoughts are, so we don't double up.

I'm not sure who won what, but I know Aaron and I had a great time.

Jack
p.s. - No question, my kid can out fly my butt anyday.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 AM
draftman1

wasnt I the king of limbo?? maybe not but I will be this time, he he he, remember the spad bowling? now were talking! maybe we shouldnt do that again, to much carnage! he he he

franticly trying to get a few planes done!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 AM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

Draftman (Andy)

Do me a favor and keep my brother in line up there. He should be there either Thursday or Friday. Good luck and have fun, maybe next year I can make it.

Jim
Old 07-11-2010, 01:06 AM
jib

ORIGINAL: draftman1

wasnt I the king of limbo?? maybe not but I will be this time, he he he, remember the spad bowling? now were talking! maybe we shouldnt do that again, to much carnage! he he he

franticly trying to get a few planes done!

Andy,

You may have won it, but Aaron dropped our Draco from on-high, under the tape. I was amazed and surprised he didn't pancake it on the asphalt.

I'm trying to get another plane done. I got the trailer all rigged up. . .

Jack
Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 AM
draftman1

hey Jim, sure nuff! we will keep watch over him. Im sure he will be drooling at the planes in the museum too.

check this out, my 15% larger corostang. I will have it there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83742.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1466133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37204.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1466134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44997.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1466135  
Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 AM
Adui

Wow, I'm embarrassed to admit it but I forgot I started this thread! Glad to see my SPAD flying brethren kept it alive for me!!!

2 days!!![X(][X(][X(][>:][>:]
Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM
WestCoastFlyer

Terry,

I'm working until 5 PM tomorrow (Friday) then going to the store and heading over. I'll probably be there at least by 6:45 PM. Will you guys be there at that point? I can bring a bunch of brats/buns and a small BBQ, enough for the Friday crowd I assume.

Last year I think you guys went out parts shopping when Andy hit town? If you think you won't be around tomorrow by 7 PM send me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone number to coordinate. I'm imagining doing a little socializing and a little test flying Friday from 6:45 PM until dusk, let's keep in touch to see if it works out like that. I might camp out Friday night, but either way I'll be there Saturday afternoon all day.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
jib

Wow, nobody followed up here with a report.

Great event, lots of flying time, great company (more pilots than last year) and good eats all weekend. I'm looking forward to next year.

Jack
Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 AM
WestCoastFlyer

Great people and great times! It was my pleasure and honor to be associated with everyone participating. It was a weekend that made a lot of great and special memories.

Thank you to everyone!

I have no doubt each year will get bigger. I'm planning to make presentations for next year's event to my club and local area modeling association, and having the Coyote to fly at my regular fields in the Portland area should generate interest. And as a new Evergreen member I'm looking forward to flying down there and meeting their members as well.

As they say, all good things must come to an end. Brisket, night flying, carnage, laughter, great times and great people - you can't ask for more than that, but what came to an end Sunday will rise again next Summer at SPADS Over The West Coast 2011!

Dave
Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 AM
draftman1

That just about sums it up Dave, It was a great event! I really liked the mass spad flys, those were just too much fun!
I will post a link to the photos when I get them posted