RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/)
-   -   Ultra Spad Stik 4 mil wing? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/10173754-ultra-spad-stik-4-mil-wing.html)

joeskeeter 02-23-2011 05:25 PM

RE: Ultra Spad Stik 4 mil wing?

Used the calculator to find the glider cg, it was slightly nose heavy,
very slight.
I had checked the specifications of the motor and it said on hobbyking it
was suitable for plane from 400-700 grams.
Glider is at 650 grams.
Spun it up at max rpm and launched it and then it did a arc into the ground, only used slight elevator and it didn't stall but arced in.
Very possibly the motor ids not powerful enough or the cg is off.
Did bust only a folding prop so it's fixable, but not if the motor is not powerful enough.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=4203

Originally the specs said 400-700 grams.
One review says 360 grams of thrust
"<span onclick="ajaxcats('showreviewFeedback.asp?idreview =5801','Rvspan5801')" style="cursor: pointer;">A great little motor for an EASYSTAR. Fits in with room for ventilation using
a couple of aluminium brackets. Also tried the 4850 r/v and 3500 r/v, the 2080 with a 6" X 4" prop was a good
compromise between performance and current. It gives around 290 g of thrust at 8A on 7 cell and around 360 g at 13A on 3s lipo."

I used 1250 3s lipo.And a 6x3 folding prop that was the original prop.

At any rate I rather just do a flying wing with coro.
So soon I'll do a little search for something small to match the motor to. </span>

joeskeeter 02-23-2011 05:30 PM

Tele, Alan, the local rc guy, I'm seeing friday.
So that will be Saturday to do some shakout, and it will be
anxiuos for me too.
i'm happy to say that I got some outage work, and been doing pre-access
training this week with a 10 hour day and 5 hours of driving,,until the job starts,
so , friday is off and this weekend will be rc weekend.

PatrickCurry 02-23-2011 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: JoelStolarski
A real good bit of news, I got in touch
with a fellow in town that has big rc planes.
I will be able to see him Friday so
that he can check the plane out.
Yeah, that's awesome news! Always good to have a helping hand and a 2nd set of eyes.
<br type="_moz" />

Telemaster 56 02-24-2011 07:09 PM

When you going to test fly the SPAD Joel?

joeskeeter 02-26-2011 11:35 AM

Alan helped me go over the plane yesterday.
Everything was ok except the ailerons were reversed,
so today I went to look at a diofferent field.
Nobody there earlier.
Alan said he could go Sunday, and I guess I'll
wait til tomorrow to take her out.
I been on the sim but still, as far as helis go, the sim and the real model
are different.
i'm not nervous to fly but maybe it would be a good idea to go with
an experienced flyer at this point.
Kinda disappointed today to not get out, becasue
the weather is real good.

MrGreenSpeed 02-26-2011 11:49 AM

I'm not nervous to fly but maybe it would be a good idea to go with
an experienced flyer at this point.
I agree , it's best to have an experienced pilot take off and trim the plane on the maiden flight.

It will make it a lot easer for You to take over the sticks and concentrate on flying the first time.

Good luck on the maiden flight ;)

Looking forward to the flight report.

Jeff [8D]

joeskeeter 02-27-2011 01:59 PM

She flew, for a little bit.
elavator servos need to be stronger., had too little to keep going.
Landing gear collapsed on impact, and the prop broke.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbjXI0_YYSY&amp;feature=youtube_gdata" target="_blank">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbjXI0_YYSY&amp;feature=youtube_gdata</a>

MrGreenSpeed 02-27-2011 06:57 PM

It looked like it got nose high. lost air speed and stalled.
No amount of elev. will help a stalled plane to fly.
What servos do You have on the elev?

I couldn't hear the engine.
Did the engine sag?
It might be lean on the high speed needle.
Or need the next lower pitch prop.

Cool video thanks.

Hope to see it in the air soon.

Jeff ;)

joeskeeter 03-01-2011 01:06 AM

Servos on elevator and rudder are Futaba 9202's.
Gonna replace those.
The rods are oscillating so have to go to dowel or tube,
or a support for what's on there.
Prop size was 17-8.
What i didn't show, she did a good cartwheel too.
Coro is strong, crease in wing you can hardly see.
Straighten gear and maybe put allthread brace on it.

Telemaster 56 03-01-2011 08:59 AM

After you've hooked up your control surfaces, elevator, rudder and ailerons.. grip one at a time with thumb and forefinger at the control horn and try to move it. Should be solid. If they move, the linkage from them to the servo's is flexing, bending or loose. Best pushrods I've found are just cheap 1/4" wooden dowels with a hole in each end with an "L" shaped piece of wire wrapped with thread and covered in epoxy through the hole. Solid as a rock. I use EZ connectors on the servo arms and Z bends on the other end at the control horns. Very easy to adjust.

Gord

draftman1 03-01-2011 11:35 AM

i just zip tie a 1/4" dowel to the push rod wire, 4 to 6 small zip ties and the CA them. it makes a good solid pushrod

joeskeeter 03-02-2011 01:04 AM

Wood dowels heavier servos and make ssure the engine is tuned a little better.

PatrickCurry 03-03-2011 09:04 AM

Yes sir, the one thing you can count on is coro will take a good beating.  [8D]   Hey, at least she got off the ground and survived to go again.  That slow lift-off was awesome although I was worried it was headed right for those pretty picture windows of that house!  LOL  It almost looked like the pilot had an "oh crap" moment, pulled up to avoid the house, stalled the airplane and when he came around to the right, it just didn't have enough air speed to recover.  With all that farm land down there, there's not a more open area to fly?  She looked like she lifted off real smooth and if you had space to climb out and gather some speed, it looked like it would have flown ok.  'Course if you need stronger servos, can't skimp on that or you *will* lose her sooner or later.  Dude.... looks like she's gonna do just fine once you work the kinks out!  Being your first SPAD, going with a big gasser like that it was probably a given that there would be kinks to work out.  :)  Keep us posted and welcome to the wonderful, crazy world of SPADs!!!  :D

MrGreenSpeed 03-03-2011 04:45 PM

Hay Joel if You already haven't done so
Please take a flash light and shine down the inside length of the wing and ( You may need an other person to help do this)
Twist the wing around while looking at the spar.

I lost one of My best Spads from not looking at the spar after a crash, needless to say the spar was broken and the wing folded up on the next flight :( Other than a crease the wing look fine from the out side. Also check all the servos to make sure they didn't strip any gears.

I've stripped throttle and rudder servos often after a good cartwheel.

Hope to see Your USS in the air again soon.
Jeff :D

joeskeeter 03-05-2011 10:57 AM

It was a pretty hairy ride, and I can't beleive I didn't film the cartwheel either, just kind of lost my attention when I
saw it coming down.

Wish I could have made the Perry show, I got a spad hardhat built almost.

I had made a booboo on not checking the tuning on the high end of the carb, so far
today I'm going to tackle the elevator pushrods and check the wing inside and I have a piece of allthread to repair the
landing gear which I have to twist a little to get her straight.

Spads are really fun and it islike Patrick says the wonderful wacky world of spads for sure.
There is a good field to go to but the guys get together over there and it's near me so,
I like the chaotic flying these guys do and it's tight, and there's alot of glass on that house.
I always like to fly with alot of people around, I know it's not the greatest spot but you should be there
with everybody it's just crazy !!!!!!!!!!11

joeskeeter 03-07-2011 03:40 AM

pics down again?

Villa 03-07-2011 06:45 PM

Hi MrGreenSpeed
Like you I cartwheeled my Spad Canard a few days ago and broke a control rod to one of the rudders. I should have given it down elevator when it started to hop during a poor landing in a crosswind. Just noticed you live in Lakewood, NY. I lived not that far away in Franklin, PA, which is south of Erie, PA, when I learned to fly R/C in 1972. We flew in Cooperstown, a few miles northwest of Franklin, where our club was, and we flew all winter because the field owner let us use his two car heated garage when it was really cold. Did you ever get down that way? Now that I live in NC I get to fly year round with little snow, and almost no terrible cold weather. Sorry for the hijack.

PatrickCurry 03-22-2011 07:32 AM

Hey Joel, have you flown this beast again yet?  Let us know if you've had any progress with it.

MrGreenSpeed 03-22-2011 04:24 PM

Villa Wrote:

We flew in Cooperstown, a few miles northwest of Franklin, where our club was.
Did you ever get down that way?
I've was through the area in the mid 80's on a motorcycle / camping trip.
They sure like baseball there ;)
Nice part of the country too.

Jeff :D

joeskeeter 03-26-2011 03:58 AM

Just got back from Augusta GA, been awile since I did 7-12's and all I
could do was work and and sleep.
Everything is charged up and I want to go to the big field down in Reidsville.
Visited Hobbytown hobby store in Augusta,
old fashioned style hobby shop that is packed up with rc stuff and other hobby items, and worth a visit if you are in the Augusta
area to watch the Masters.

Planes are charged and I am going to go to the big field today.

MrGreenSpeed 03-26-2011 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: JoelStolarski

Planes are charged and I am going to go to the big field today.

Awesome! :D
Awaiting the flight report.
Jeff

joeskeeter 03-27-2011 05:33 AM

Did 2 flights with the nexstar and the wind
was real bad.
Then it started raining.
My first rc flying, and I have a spare hor stabilizer that i
need to replace on the nexstar because the 2nd landing was a bit hard.
Hoping the wind dies down so I can fly the spad.
So I finally got to fly an rc plane and broke the ice.
It's like the sim and like the helis, the sim helps alot but
it is not exactly like real rc planes and helis because the wind gusts
and especially landing the gusts make the landisng a bit hairy.

MrGreenSpeed 03-27-2011 12:54 PM

Congrats on flying Your first RC plane :D

Landing in windy conditions can be a handful of toothpicks or foam pieces if Your flying a wooden/foam plane ;)
Spads usually just bounce and do a cartwheel or 2 with little damage [8D]

Don't get Me wrong the Nexstar is a great trainer, it's just a little fragile compared to a Spad ;)

Hope the weather cooperates.

Jeff

joeskeeter 03-27-2011 05:08 PM

It was fun, got to fly around a bit and didn't get disoriented, so that was good.
Hoping to get out and fly the spad this week, have to figure out how to get a mower to the field because
the grass needs to be cut.
I am figuring the wind should die down soon since the cold front has arrived.
Spad landing gear has been fixed and I put a piece of metal for the tail to drag on until I can figure out what to do for a tail wheel.
I'm thinking of attaching a caster wheel back there since the rudder should be able to turn the plane.
Also made sure to tune the high end needle valve correctly this time, she has lots of power now and the high throttle is
real smooth now. I think I have an 18x8 on there now so should be lots of thrust.
When I ran her before going out of town there was loads of thrust like a windstorm, so I am pretty sure that she will do well this time.

I went back to read some of the posts and I can try a lower pitch prop, that is one thing hobbytown didn't have much of, big props.
What to try, 18x 7 18 x 6 ? The quadra spins the 18 fast.

PatrickCurry 03-27-2011 09:29 PM

Not having flown any of the "big iron" I would go with a lower pitch to keep a higher thrust and lower speed since you're learning with it.  That may be contradicted by someone who knows better and I would certainly defer.  :)  I agree with you about the simulator though for two reasons......  one, when I fly on a simulator I have a hard time with LACK of  peripheral vision.  It's hard for me to see what to do on the screen because I have no peripheral vision and it's hard for me to relate to where the plane is and what it is doing.  And B..... (yeah I know, LOL)  to me it doesn't matter how realistic it gets, how much wind you can program in and whatever......  there's a big difference in sitting in a chair and mechanically moving your fingers to do what you "know" is right versus standing on a flight line, fingers cramping, knees shaking, wind coming from, wait... was it on the right side of my face or on the back of my neck, the adrenaline creating that buzzing in your balls, swapping between that "Okay, ease her on around" and those "OH S***" moments.....  You know what I'm talking about.  :)  There's what we know and what we feel....  simulators are great learning tools.  Whether or not they can help you step up when it counts is debatable.  <div>
</div><div>Anyway.....  looking forward to it!  :)</div>