RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/)
-   -   What is the best 3D SPAD design? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/1237240-what-best-3d-spad-design.html)

3D Flyer 10-29-2003 12:31 PM

What is the best 3D SPAD design?

I am considering a SPAD design for a future project. What is the best 3D design?
The SPAD3DT?

FrankC29 10-29-2003 02:42 PM

RE: What is the best 3D SPAD design?

Yes.

The SPA3D is easier to build. The only drawback is it cannot fly fast as stable as the SPA3DT, because the C-channel does flex some. However, this isn't really important for 3D, so I would say you would be happy with either. The Qhor is a bit easier to fly and more stable in high alphs flight, however it's not as radical and tends to fall over on it's back quiker when you try a 90 degree hover.

Crash Master 10-29-2003 03:50 PM

The best SPA3D design? The one I built :D I love that thing!

But like Frank states, the SPA3D doesn't like speed. But the new SPA3DT is suppose to be more like a sport/3D combo plane and is next on my list.

I would pick one, fly the snot out of it and have a good time with it. ;)

3D Flyer 10-29-2003 03:59 PM

I mean what is the best overall 3D plane that you can build in the SPAD category ... not just SPA3D and SPA3DT.

raptor5900 10-29-2003 04:06 PM

that is the best;)

Crash Master 10-29-2003 04:31 PM

The best overall SPAD? I guess that would depend on what you want to do with it. Personally, I like the SpadStik for general sport type flying. For sheer fun and crowd-wowing 3D type slow flying, I think it's the SPA3D - hands down.

All of this may change once I get the SPA3DT built. It is suppose to be the best of both worlds. If the new DT handles speed the way I understand it will and do the 3D stuff that the SPA3D does, well then, all bets would be off and I will stay with the SPA3DT.

But for right now, these are my votes. :)

Ripdivot 10-31-2003 03:15 AM

I have built both the SPA3D and the SPA3DT. Both fly great. I have no flutter with either one but if I had to choose one it would have to be the SPA3DT. It is a little bit heavier but definitely more solid in both high speed and low speed flight. It is also much much stronger. I have bent the fuse on the SPA3D many times but never on the 3DT. I feel the 3DT does 3D flight a little better as well. Another plane that flies awsome and in some ways better then the SPA3DT is the CC Edge 540. This one has a symetrical wing and will do high alpha knife edge flight but is a little harder to hover and harrier. For 50 bucks you can have both. Here is the link to the CC Edge 540 Profile.

http://users3.ev1.net/%7Ecdjump/main...eriallist.html

johnc1go 11-19-2003 10:54 PM

Build yourself a qhor .25 and power it with an OS 32sx. Guaranteed fun or your money back.

Mike18 11-21-2003 05:55 PM

My 2 cents...

I have not built a SPAD3DT.

I have a Qhor and a SPAD3D.

I agree with FrankC29

The Qhor is a bit easier to fly and more stable in high alphs flight, however it's not as radical and tends to fall over on it's back quiker when you try a 90 degree hover.

My SPAD3D is by far my favorite plane to fly right now (Thank you Tattoo)

It will teach you what the right stick is for.

Kripto 11-21-2003 07:03 PM

I have built 2 CC Edge 540 Profiles now and really love what they can do (great job Chris). They look more like the B@!$@ profiles and do take a little more skill to do 3D but will do a lot more than the others. Just my humble opinion...

Ed

Ripdivot 11-22-2003 02:57 AM

Kripto........I have to agree the cc edge 540 does much more than the Spa3dt........Definitely flys similar to the balsa profiles and Chris did a great job on the construction artical.........Flies very much like the OMA profile edge.

Mike18 11-22-2003 08:45 AM

OK OK OK...NOW YOU GUYS HAVE GONE AND DONE IT.....:)

Thanks to Kripto and ripdivit I have done some reaing on the CC Edge 540 .

NOW I'M GOING TO HAVE TO BUILD ONE!:D

Ripdivot 11-23-2003 02:07 AM

Mike18...You will love the CC Edge 540. The SPA3D designs are great fun but the CC Edge flies more like a real airplane. I like to fly both. One thing you do have to like about the CC Edge are the deadstick landings. It is no problem if you have a flame out with reasonable altitude as it glides very predictable. Fly them both and have a blast!