RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/)
-   -   honest opinion with the spad3dt (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/1774374-honest-opinion-spad3dt.html)

da_man 04-30-2004 02:24 PM

honest opinion with the spad3dt

I made it as to the instructions with the 1 in alum tubing and the 4mm coroplast. I used the same demensions. I flew it and it wanted to fly nose high. Is this plane not suppose to fly or does it take practice to get used to it.

Crash Master 04-30-2004 05:05 PM

RE: honest opinion with the spad3dt

Sounds like its doing the same thing mine did. Check your CG. It should be between 6"-7" I believe. You might also want to reflex your ailerons a bit above level with the fuse. I'm betting that the main problem is with CG and you just need to monkey with it til you find your "sweet spot".

Good luck and don't give up,

MrGreenSpeed 04-30-2004 06:52 PM

Hi da_man
The SPA3D type planes are made to hover and fly at a high angle of attack.
They excel at Slow flight.
They do take a few flights to get used to the way they fly.
The set up of the SPA3D type planes is totally up to what You like.
Mine trimmed to fly at 3/4 to full throttle like a normal plane has 5 degrees down trim on the elevator.
My ailerons are reflexed up about 1/8 " above level with the fuse.
I started at a CG of 6" from the LE and have moved it back to 6 3/4".
Did I menchion they were not ment to fly fast.
However with a few simple mods from the original plans they will fly great at full throttle.
There is a ton of info here on SPA3Ds
I'm running a sport Jett 46 with a APC 11X5 and have a blast with it.

da_man 05-01-2004 11:29 AM

I just never heard of an airplane liking to fly nose high. I will have some time soon to try it again and get used to it, I guess.

ChrisSpad 05-01-2004 12:30 PM

are you familiar at all with 3d? Its not a conventional airplane at all.

rcglert 05-01-2004 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine does not seem to fly nose high unless I make it fly that way. Although this is no conventional airplane, mine will fly conventionally as long as I do not overspeed it. I have an OS 46 with a quiet pipe swinging an APC 13.25 x 3.75. This is a really great combination for hovering moves.

When it is nose high, it is a blast......rolls on a 45 degree angle and hovering are a snap.

I have a large version of the Spad 3d that will tool around all day at a 45 degree angle without the slightest hint of stalling. These things are really cool and do take some getting used to. After you get it set up and get some time on it, you will like it.

Tom

Mine is pretty ugly huh?

thudriver 05-01-2004 06:54 PM

The SPA3DT loves to fly nosehigh! That is what it was built for! I had a elevator control rod come loose in flight and it was no problem. It flew great at about 20 degrees nose up and all I had to do was use throttle to make a harrier landing. Mine is also at nose down trim on the elevator to fly level at high speed. It is a hovering, torque rolling fool, if you want high speed acro, better build something else! :Dthudriver

da_man 05-02-2004 09:57 AM

Actually I prefer things that fly slow and are very aerobatic. I was praticing some 3D on my UCD 60 and could only get it to hover for a while. I wasn't able to do any nose high harriers for a good amount of time. 3D moves are the only thing I haven't mastered with a plane yet. I built this plane to pratice some 3D without wrecking any of my good planes.