RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/)
-   -   First Coro build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/6960015-first-coro-build.html)

monster46 01-23-2008 11:31 PM

First Coro build

1 Attachment(s)
Hello
Just thought i would share some pics of my latest airplane. It hasn't flown yet but i'm planning too maiden it tomorrow. Its got a Mag .15 in it, with HS-81 aileron servos and elevator. 55 for throttle. the fuse is made out of 4mm and the wings are 2mm it has a plywood frame with 2 dowls running length wise holding everything together. its a bit of a porker at 50 oz. but theres not much i can do at this point to shave weight.. my buddy and I plan to combat if all goes well tomorrow.

mclina 01-24-2008 08:07 AM

RE: First Coro build

That looks really cool. What is the wingspan?

microsprint9 01-24-2008 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here's my plane that i plan on taking him down with, 36" span 600sq/in area, 45oz AUW, mag.15XLS.

monster46 01-24-2008 08:51 AM

thanks
its 36" span, 530sq/in area

mclina 01-24-2008 09:18 AM

You guys need to bring along a cameraman. It should be a good battle.

That delta wing looks great. I bet it will have the speed advantage, but you'll need a direct prop hit to cut a streamer. They'll just slip off the wings.

Have fun and let us know who wins.

microsprint9 01-24-2008 10:02 AM

Maybe i should put razor blades along the leading edge. That might hurt though.

microsprint9 01-24-2008 08:13 PM

Delta 1, Bipe 0, the bipe is now a mono wing and will actually fly, CG issues with the bipe, just couldn't get enough weight up front, then after a few failed attempts and some quick fixes the bipe became a low single winged plane, the CG was better and it actually flew quite well. Streamer action will be saturday or sunday, monster 46 actually suggested that i put missle rails on the ends of my delta's wingtips so the streamers will not slide off, good idea, now he's at more of a disadvantage. We'll see if we can get a camera man for sunday if monster has a plane to fly, if not we'll get out our trainers for some combat.

MrGreenSpeed 01-24-2008 08:50 PM

GET-R-Done :D
Can't wait to see some video[8D]
Jeff

DLSmith2 01-24-2008 09:11 PM

Looks great! What did you do for a cowl on the bipe, er, uh, low wing monoplane? :):D

I like the rockets on the delta! If you put some sticky stuff like "Tanglefoot" on the LE, you can probably snag a streamer or two after all!

Waiting for the video and combat debriefing!

SPAD skies,

DL

monster46 01-24-2008 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a tuperware soup container and cut the lip around the top with a dremel disk. i thought it looked pretty good for what it was. but it is now sitting in the pile with my top wing. it broke into three peaces on one of the hits. good news is a found 4 more just like it. now i just have to sneak it too the work shop.:)

monster46 01-24-2008 10:53 PM

Anybody have a solid way of joining wings together? i used coroplast with balsa triangle and a aluminum post to the fuse. clearly this did not work so well.

monster46 02-01-2008 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it was a very tough weekend. I had a flightstar40 fly away the plane was getting old and brital but it had my ENYA .60 four stroke on it which was a big loss, not to mention all the radio gear. the next day we set out on a ATV search party with no luck. so i thought i would have some fun with my quad. I managed to tag a tree on a trail. It knocked the toe out about 8" which in the snow works pretty much the same as plow. It was an aweful weekend but microsrint9 and I built a new delta pretty much the same as his. we have had one combat session so far which i dominated! 1 - 0.. but it was way to cold at the end of the flight my thumbs were frozen and i was just trying to stay in the air. anyways here are some new pics of the delta and a picture of the quad.

propbuster 02-02-2008 06:09 PM

Great looking bipe monster46[8D] Your tupperware caper just gave me another idea!:D