RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/)
-   -   PVC square pipe? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/930985-pvc-square-pipe.html)

Richard39 07-06-2003 02:43 PM

PVC square pipe?

I have not been able to find the 2 1/2 inch square down spout pipe in pvc for a SPAD fuse....was able to find a thiner plastic down spout in a plastic material ( which is not smooth and flexs easily... I am building the SPAD .40 trainer and need to know which pipe should I use and where do I find the PVC 2 1/2 inch that is usually recommended? Thanks ... Richard

mikenlapaz 07-06-2003 06:07 PM

PVC square pipe?

Richard 39: Your post and this probably should be a new topic, but a quick reply.
Do It Best Hardware has it on their website. Contact Local store, they may have it shipped with a regular order and save you some shipping! Following from their site.

Downspout sku 105736 11.79 each
Manuf: Genova Bldg. Prod. Part No. RW200: White vinyl
2-1/2" square, supplied in 10' lengths. (local store states minimum oreder is 1 unit/piece)

Tattoo 07-06-2003 08:50 PM

PVC square pipe?

Here's some more pipe info
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/TipsTr...ks/sup_pvc.htm
Or try a search here at RCU....lots of threads about it.
Also, it seems the larger stores like LOWES and Home depot are going to the 2 x 3 stuff...but I've also heard that ACE hardware is a good bet for the 2 1/2" stuff...they should either have it or can order it.

Richard39 07-06-2003 10:10 PM

pvc pipe

thanks for the reply everyone....I take it that you would not use or recommend the thinner flexible plastic downspouts for a fuse?

Tattoo 07-06-2003 11:52 PM

PVC square pipe?

I really can't comment, because I've never used the 2 x 3 stuff...but hopefully someone who has, will see this and comment on it, because I have seen photos of planes from guys who have had success building airplanes from it!

Jagdgeschwader 26 07-07-2003 01:56 AM

PVC square pipe?

I also spent the last 4 months looking for the 2-1/2 inch square Genova downspouting. Nobody had it...one hardware store offered to order it on two different occasions. Nothing, nyet, nada...Then I read the tip about the Do It Home Hardware chain, and guess what...less than two miles from my house is one of their stores, that has become more of a nursery and outdoor accessories store than a hardware...but they offered to order me four 10 foot pieces...they came in last week! Now I have enough to build at least one a day for at least a week!

later,

Al Mangani
Warren, MI
AMA 22336

david a 07-07-2003 05:47 AM

PVC square pipe?

Richard39,
I'm down the road from you in Wetumpka; Russell Do it Center has it. There's a store here in Wetumpka and one in Eclectic towards Lake Martin.

I'm about to stock up on a few pieces, so try and get there before I do.
Later,
David

Richard39 07-07-2003 11:27 AM

Pipe

Good morning David...I just sent you a pm....I now realize that you are in the Montgomery area ( I know a David at Lake Martin)...I can make the trip down there if none available in Birmingham....Thanks for your info and good luck...Richard

FantzyPantz 07-07-2003 03:50 PM

Re: PVC square pipe?

[B]I have not been able to find the 2 1/2 inch square down spout

Hi there, I just wanted to post that I am building the Spadet using 2 1/2 X3 inch gutter pipe, this stuff has some funky ridges and rounded corners, I'm using it until I can get ahold of the 2 1/2 square stuff. So far I haven't had problems with it fitting in the fuse. I imagine it may be a tiny bit heavier, maybe not.

Another note- I am building a 3" fuse that will look like my Avistar, so I have already seen the benefits of the wider pipe variety, but it might be tricky once I get to mounting the engine.

masterlink 07-08-2003 05:18 AM

PVC square pipe?

FanzyPantz,

I have found some 2.5X2.5 PVC that has the inside ridges you speak of. It baffled me for a while then I found that a 1" sharp paint scraper can be used to reach inside the pipe and will shave out the ridges in short order. Sure helps when you are trying to get engine, landing geat and wing mounting blocks to fit snugly. Hope this helps, Masterlink

Richard39 07-08-2003 10:01 AM

2.5 pvc

David, I used another computer to open my emails yesterday and lost everything....so not sure you replied yet....I can come by Wetumpka this week to visit my daughter nearby...let me know if they have what we need at the hardware store and if any is available...Richard [email protected]

gj1994 07-08-2003 02:02 PM

I can send you some 2.5" if you dont find any.

I had to buy 10 sticks to get it with an order, so I have about 8 left. It is genova white dowspout, and I can send you some if you need me to. The best way to ship it would be for me to cut it into shorter sticks. Any combination that gives you 120In., 3 40's or 4 30's just can't ship 10 footers! Shipping is kind of high, and would make getting 2 10Ft chunks a better deal. I sent a stick cut up into 4 30In sticks to somewhere near Chicago a while back, and shipping was arround $7.30ish :drowning:

If you cant find any, and I can help you out email me [email protected]

Richard39 07-09-2003 12:00 PM

PVC

Thanks for the info on the pipe.......I am sure you will have some takers and that is a good deal....There is a supplier about 80 miles from me and I am going to drive down to buy some 2.5 X 2.5 square the next time I am in the Montgomery area...Thanks..