Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

New USRA Warbird class

Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New USRA Warbird class

The USRA is starting new for 2011 a "Warbird" class. Many of the stock ARF's and Kits qualify.
Basic rules are as follows:

Stock build, no race mods allowed.
82-96" wing span and 1200 sq in
16-30lbs limits
40-65 cc engines on gas.

Not sure if Moderator allows us to post the rules so I will include a link to the web site as well. Here are the rules:

12a USRA Provisional Class: WARBIRD
12a TIMEFRAME
The Warbird Class will remain Provisional at least through 2011
12a.1 INTENT
To provide a low cost Reno-style Warbird racing event for all pilots. The Warbird class is intended to provide a less expensive means of introducing experienced R/C pilots to giant scale racing and to increase membership in the USRA. The specifications have been developed to create a multi plane event using readily available 50cc sized Warbird ARFs and kits along with a variety of sport type gas engines that will allow R/C pilots to experience giant scale pylon racing with minimal risk and investment. Once a competitor has grown proficient in this class, they will be encouraged or required to move on to one of the other Giant Scale USRA classes as per section 12.8.
12a.2 SPECIFICATIONS – AIRFRAME AND EQUIPMENT
12a.2.1 GENERAL - All pertinent AMA / USRA safety rules apply. Servos operating all control surfaces must be of sufficient size with at least 69.5 in.oz. of torque. The battery capacity must be a minimum of 1200 mAh or 200 mAh per servo whichever is higher.
12a.2.2 AIRCRAFT – Any Arf or Kit meeting all requirements as listed in this section will be eligible. No modifications to the airframe that would change the planform or dimensions will be allowed. Model must be a scale representation of a single-engine, propeller driven, WWII-era. Model must be a scale representation of a single-engine,piston powered,propeller driven, WWll-era Warbird. Aircraft must have been factory configuredwith either guns,cannon,or the ability to drop bombs or torepedoes. No trainers or liaison aircraft will be allowed with the exception of the AT-6/SNJ/Harvard trainer. These aircraft must meet both minimum wingspan and area specifications.

No racing versions of Warbirds will be allowed. No clipped wings, small canopies, removed scoops, or any other deviations that change the scale outline, planform, or dimensions. When in doubt, if the rules don’t say that you can do it, then you can’t.
12a.2.3 WEIGHT - Ready to fly dry weight cannot be less than 16 pounds or more than 30 pounds
12a.2.4 LANDING GEAR – Fixed or Retractable landing gear will be allowed if it is applicable to the full-size aircraft.
12a.2.5 Spinner - Must be the scale diameter and of metal construction. No plastic allowed.
12a.2.6 Aircraft Size - Aircraft will have a wingspan between 82†and 96â€. Aircraft will have a minimum wing area of 1200 square inches. If wing area is met there will be minor tolerances allowed to the minimum wingspan.
12a.3 ENGINES (internal Combustion) – Any commercially available gasoline engine from 40cc to 65cc will be allowed. Engines must be unmodified. Engines can be magneto or electronic ignition. Converting gasoline engines to glow fuel will not be permitted.
12a.3.1 MUFFLERS – No tuned pipes or tuned mufflers are allowed.
12a.3.2 ENGINE SHUT OFF – Aircraft must display positive engine shut down via the transmitter during the engine run-up and radio range check.
12a.3.3 FUEL TANK – Must carry sufficient capacity for at least 7 minutes of flight time.
12a.3.4 FUEL – Contestants will provide their own fuel as suitable for the engine they have chosen. Fuel or additives such as Hydrazine, Nitrobenzene and Tetranitromethane will not be permitted. Nitrous Oxide systems are not permitted. Proper handling and safety precautions for fuel must be observed by and is the responsibility of the contestant at all times.
12a.4 ELECTRIC MOTORS – Electric power systems will be allowed at a maximum of 4000 watts. Battery capacity should be sufficient for 7 minutes of flight time.
12aA.5 PROPELLERS – Any commercially available non metal propeller can be used.
12a.6 Awards – The class winners will be presented with awards. No prizes, cash, or year-end points championships will be awarded.
12a.7 RACE COURSE – The standard 1600 ft. course is normally used for giant scale racing, however for smaller flying sites a 1200 or 1000 ft could be used. It is recommended that typical USRA race procedures be used. This information can be obtained via the USRA Internet site at www.usrainfo.org.
12a.8 PILOT PARTICIPATION – The Warbird class is open to all participants who can demonstrate safe flight with a Warbird class aircraft. The Warbird class is open to all participants who can demonstrate safe flight with a Warbird class aircraft. Beginning with the 2012 racing season, participants that win 2 gold races will be required to move on to another USRA class. Aircraft that win 2 gold races will also be deemed ineligible for further participation in this class.

usrainfo.org
Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New USRA Warbird class

Very cool Marty!!

Any new news about the west coast event yet? I am definitely interested in this new class.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:26 PM
MFLOOD3800

One of our series sponsors wants us to find a "paved" site so we are trying to accomodate him on this. I am looking at Northern Ca right now and talked to the VP of that club. If that doesnt work we will have to look at the lake beds. They are always an option.
No dates set yet as we are trying to work around the TAS. As it comes secure we will definately be posting all over for every one.
This warbird class is going to be very popular especially in the West.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hum a ESM F-7F tigercat 82" wing twin on DLE 55's should be good for 150 or so on 18x16 props..............
Old 03-11-2011, 03:34 PM
MFLOOD3800

Engines must be single engine - no twins

Here are the dates already chosen:

Right now we have dates set as follows:

Hearne Texas June 10-12

Eldorado Kansas August 18-21

West Coast - TBD ( Mid Oct around 13-16 or 20-23)

Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Marty keep in mind that the fall Phoenix warbird race is October 15th. That might affect some of the participation if they are the same weekend.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
MFLOOD3800

Yep and that Phoenix race date is probably gonna be a problem. The dates for the TAS are usually the 2nd weekend of Oct and the third week end is the very one need for this race- same as the Phoenix race. I am hopeful they will not collide, but there are many more people needed to make this work and some of their availabilities drive these dates. First choice for many of the USRA racers is that 3rd weekend so they dont have to travel back to the mid-west or east coast after the TAS and then turn around and come back. Many like to do the TAS, and just stay another week for this race. DA hasnt set the dates yet so we are waiting til April.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

Will there be a list af approved airplanes? What about us guys that prefer to scratch build?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:29 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i missed the single engine.

I would guess the New DA 60 would be the engine of choice if it is stronger than the DLE 55.

Kit built planes would be the fastest since could meet the rules but still optmize the air frame.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 PM
MFLOOD3800

Read the rules guys as they are very clear and specific. Any Arf or Kit that meets the specs will be allowed. There is no "approved list" as it would be near impossible to list them all. The specs allow or disallow. Yes the DA60 is going to be a popular engine choice. The plane/engine combo is vast. Do remember to keep em light, flies better and turns faster!!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:47 AM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

Read the rules guys as they are very clear and specific. Any Arf or Kit that meets the specs will be allowed. There is no "approved list" as it would be near impossible to list them all. The specs allow or disallow. Yes the DA60 is going to be a popular engine choice. The plane/engine combo is vast. Do remember to keep em light, flies better and turns faster!!
Iread through everything I could find but did not find the info I am interested in. I would prefer to scratch build an airplane rather then go ARFor kit. What Iam looking for is min wing area, airfoil thickness %, fuse cross section and the such. Is there a clause about aircraft outline deviation like the IMAC 10% rule? Do we need to have clear canopies? The DA 50 and 60 have well thought out cannister and tuned exhaust systems? Will they be allowed?

Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 AM
MFLOOD3800

Again in the rules you will see that the plane MUST be a scale outline of the warbird (not racers). The wing span must be between 82"-96" with a minimum sq in of 1200. That seems to be pretty straight forward to me.

There are no race version warbirds allowed. You are welcome to stick build as long as the planform is per stock dimensions of the warbird for military purpose you are building- no reno racers here.
The DA60 as you stated is going to be a great engine. The mufflers in stock configuration as per rules ARE legal, just as stated.

By the way on another note speedracer I flew my 40 size stiletto- not 170MPH yet. I am guessing 155-160. I ran it on 30% heli, and 1 5/8 needle. I have 60% getting ready as well as another 1/4 turn on needle, then yes it will purr nearer that 170 mark. It is fasssstttttttttttt.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:47 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

Again in the rules you will see that the plane MUST be a scale outline of the warbird (not racers). The wing span must be between 82''-96'' with a minimum sq in of 1200. That seems to be pretty straight forward to me.

There are no race version warbirds allowed. You are welcome to stick build as long as the planform is per stock dimensions of the warbird for military purpose you are building- no reno racers here.
The DA60 as you stated is going to be a great engine. The mufflers in stock configuration as per rules ARE legal, just as stated.

By the way on another note speedracer I flew my 40 size stiletto- not 170MPH yet. I am guessing 155-160. I ran it on 30% heli, and 1 5/8 needle. I have 60% getting ready as well as another 1/4 turn on needle, then yes it will purr nearer that 170 mark. It is fasssstttttttttttt.
Is it going to be at Speed world in two weeks?
Old 03-12-2011, 04:35 PM
MFLOOD3800

Yes it is
Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 PM
GR7Racer

CANNISTER pipes are considered tuned exhausts and will not be allowed.

KennyMac
Old 03-13-2011, 12:38 PM
speedracerntrixie

OK Looks like I have all the info needed except airfoil %. This is of course in hopes that there will be a race in CA
Old 03-13-2011, 04:46 PM
jk464

Wow, I would be a little scared of some of these arf's folding wings around the pylons.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
GR7Racer

My experience with ARFs this size from reputable manufacturers show no reason to be concerned about structural failure. The rules put a limit on the size of the engine, and that size limit is reasonably close to mfg's recommendations for airplanes this size. Our rules also preclude modifications such as methanol/nitro fuel, and tuned pipes, areas where performance gains might critically stress the airframes. There's only so much performance you can get from these engines while leaving them on gas and denying them tuned exhausts.

The biggest gains in performance on the course will most likely be weight reduction and prop selection. Weight reduction will reduce the structural loads on the airplane which will make structural failure less likely.

It looks like we are also going to amend the last sentence of the rules regarding Aircraft that win two events. They will not be deemed ineligible automatically, but will face a review to determine whether they will be able to continue in the class.

Regarding airfoil thickness%, you will want to adhere to a scale thickness on your airfoil. Don't forget that the race course is a two pylon setup and you'll need to make two high-G 180 degree turns every lap...a thin low drag airfoil that doesn't have much lift might not be the best solution to this puzzle.

Hope we can get some folks to come out and try this class. It should be fun! If you like the Warbird pylon races, then you should fit right in with this 50cc Warbird class.

KMac
Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 PM
delateurj

Well count me in.

I just received my RTC Top Flite Mustang.

Going to go with Rockwell color scheme.

DA-50 I got or splurge and get a new DA-60.

- Joe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89278.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1579919  
Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 AM
MONGO44

A while back we were going to start a class in the Bay Area using World Models Spitfires and Mustangs with G-38's. They are 85" wingspans but we could not meet the AMAGiantScale Course requirements.This might be an interesting class.

On the comments about the aircraft not holding up to the engine sizes. If you are racing little planes now, we all strip them down and beef them up to hold the speeds and weight so there is no difference. I might be in for a race if in California next year. No time right now for another project.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:43 PM
GR7Racer

Joe
Rockwell scheme will be really cool!!! You'll look like the pace plane when you're leading the pack! Tough choice on the engine. Go with what you've got an upgrade later if you think you need to.

KMac