Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

120cc n a 75cc frame?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 AM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120cc n a 75cc frame?

I'm interested to see if any of the giant scale racing guys have tried racing the 75cc planes using 100-120cc engine? Not really a rocket but still a notch up on the fun factor. I came across an aeroworks extra 260 75cc that had been a victim of a deadstick at 20ft. I rebuilt the engine box an a few areas that had debonded with Hysol. I had a spare DLE-111 on the shelf that just happened to fit perfectly in the cowl an just happened to be about 2.5 lbs. Lighter than the ol 3w-75 that was previously in. An just about the same as the recommended DA-85. Actually I'm turning a smaller prop as this dle doesn't like anything bigger.
Now before ya say why? I have to say that have plenty of great 3d birds already. At our field, we have a pylon course setup for small electrics. Last Sunday, was our annual fly in and by accident, three of us 100cc'ers just happen to try a mock run of the course. By about the third lap, it was on!! A couple of times, we were in synch an the sound was awesome!! .
The aeroworks seems to be a great choice since it's one of the strongest frames available.. im not here to start a best plane war but, i e found that its definitely stronger than hanger 9, pilot, eg, extreme flight, or 3d hobbies. But, it also happens to fly a bit heavier too. Also, it's an affordable choice at just around $2,000 rtf. I'm thinking the best choice, for speed would be the Comp Arf extra 2.3m an the DA-120. I realize the control surfaces are quite large but I've went overkill with servos, control horn and arms. Also, no extreme maneuvers an lots of expo. I've got about 50 flights on it an its still tight in the hinges an all carbon fiber tubes look good as well as all the spars of the inner wings
I'm interested in the true racing guys thoughts. That lil race really got me hooked!! Wasn't quite the speed and skill needed by the giant scale guys which run on alcohol, turn 18,000 rpm+ on an 100-150cc an hit speeds over 200mph, but that's a lil much for me at this time.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:02 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: 120cc n a 75cc frame?

Sounds fun but sooner or later someone is going to fold a wing. Last AW airplane I had required me to open up and repair the wings 3 times and that was just flying IMAC with it.