Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

A Few Questions????

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 PM
D.E.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Questions????

Hey Guys,

A few questions on you airplanes.

1. Do you guys mess with airfoils, What is a common one for a gold airplane.
2. I see I think two different hot areas of racing one in Sacramento area and one so. cal and arizona area. Are the rules basically the same?
3. Are all composit airplanes legal I.E. molded wing, tail and fuse?
4. What is a good YS motor to build for. { I guess I should ask Richard V. this I used to do the F-1 thing with him a hundred years ago}
5. Is there an approval committe for airplane designs?

Thanks for your time
D.E.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: A Few Questions????

Hey Guys,

A few questions on your airplanes.

1. Do you guys mess with airfoils, What is a common one for a gold airplane.

Some do, some don't. As a general rule, the faster you want to go, the more you will need to maximize the performance of your airframe. In the faster classes, this frequently means substituting or modifying the airfoil. Although I've designed and built a wing for a winning Gold Class racer, I'm a Silver racer, so it's likely better to let the guys that routinely race in Gold advise you of a specific airfoil.

2. I see I think two different hot areas of racing one in Sacramento area and one so. cal and arizona area. Are the rules basically the same?

There are many similarities, but also substantial differences. Your best bet is to consult the rules for each major venue with which you wish to compete.

The rules for So-Cal/Arizona are here:

http://www.rcpro.org/html/rules/warb...ird_racing.htm

The rules for the SAM Warbird Series are available here:

www.sacramentowarbird.com.

You can compete and have fun in both, but being a top-level competitor will likely mean maximizing your design's performance for one vs. the other, or having multiple airframes.

To better answer your question, I can tell you that the major similarities are:

• Same general course length and layout
  • Same number of laps
  • Similar aircraft and glow engine sizes/designs[/list]

Some of the major differences are:

• SAM appears to place a bit more emphasis on fidelity to scale outline than many of the So-Cal and Bay Area venues
    • SAM adheres to an Engine Displacement/Wing Area Chart. (There has been debate about this between So-Cal and SAM racers, but the intent is to maintain levels competitiveness and safety.) SAM only allows glow power and no on-board LiPos. I believe RCPro allows both on-board LiPos and electric motors. (I haven't looked at their rules lately, so don't hold me to this check their rules link above, to be sure.)[/list]

3. Are all composite airplanes legal I.E. molded wing, tail and fuse?

Not all venues accept ALL makes of composite airframes in EVERY class. For example some of the S.F. Bay Area venues have certain "Stock" classes which do not allow composite airframes (or at least not composite airframes that are not widely commercially available). In some venues, in certain classes, they are expressly forbidden. Again, you have to check the rules for each series/venue to be certain. Bay Area also does not allow twin-engined models.

As a member of SAM, as well as a designer of composite molded airframes that have been competing in SAM Warbird Series racing for years, I can tell you that SAM has NO issues with composite airplanes of any type, competing in any class. (Assuming, of course, that they meet the same basic airframe safety guidelines that any balsa & ply aircraft would be subjected to.)

4. What is a good YS motor to build for. { I guess I should ask Richard V. this I used to do the F-1 thing with him a hundred years ago}

YS 115 is by far the #1 choice for going Gold, in my opinion. It is what I am designing my new airplanes around(I plan to move up to Gold in 2013), as are most everyone I know.

5. Is there an approval committee for airplane designs?

I seem to recall mention of such a committee in the SF Bay area series as to which designs qualify for their "Stock" classes. For SAM, the Contest Directors represent such a committee for any designs which may be questionable about whether they satisfy the true intent of the races. In the past, this usually had more to deal with issues such as Prototype designs (as opposed to models clearly in production), lack of scale fidelity, year of operational service, etc.

The rules of each venue should outline the process for getting any "questionable" designs or modifications approved.

Thanks for your time

D.E.

You're welcome. Hope this helps; and that perhaps you'll come join us for a race this coming year.

Ollie