Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

8th Scale TA-152 Assembly Videos

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

8th Scale TA-152 Assembly Videos

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8th Scale TA-152 Assembly Videos

Hey Folks:

Tim and I are doing some video segments on construction of his laser cut TA-152 kits. Even though this will focus on the Focke Wulf interceptor, this technique can be used on just about all of 8th Scale Warbird wings. Here is the first video I assembled. I should have part 2 done in a couple of days. This is an ongoing series, but at least it gets those who want to build one of these kits a little bit of help and instruction. Enjoy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZYIcFkOSs
Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 PM
pjakew

Default RE: 8th Scale TA-152 Assembly Videos

Part 2 done. Tim is going to work on the other wing section, and then we will complete the video. May be a little down the road.
Enjoy the videos and give some feedback.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rvfaXFqV6JQ
Old 07-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jake and Tim,

I love picking up little tips and tricks from other builders. Even though most of my wings are jig-built now, some little nuggets I found helpful:

When CA-ing the sheeting, I always found it too tricky to try to apply pressure relatively evenly across the entire surface waiting for it set without accelerator. If I sprayed an area with accelerator, then the glue would often
set in a nearby area (due to overspay) before contact was made. Eventually, I gave up on CA-ing much of my wing sheeting, and just used aliphatic wood glueand pin the sheeting to the ribs; but, then get bothered by all the pin holes I'd have to fill and sand. Spraying the back of the balsa sheet with accelerator so that the glue would set nearly instantly in one area that made immediate contact, but not in others until ready, seems to be a tip worth trying.

Thanks for taking the time to do these videos. I look forward to the next installment.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
pjakew

3 more videos, still have one more to do to complete the wing series. Check them all out. Here is the link to the 3rd video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Yiq...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 AM
D.E.

Why not build sheeted foam wings with spar? They are lighter, much easier and more accurate.

Good work and fun to watch though, keep going!

DE
Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 PM
tdstaf
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: D.E.

Why not build sheeted foam wings with spar? They are lighter, much easier and more accurate.

Good work and fun to watch though, keep going!

DE
D.E, Thanks for your input.
I have done them both ways and to make a foam wing accurate it would have to have three panels cut in order to have the airfoil consistant. When they are built that way I have found they are not any lighter or stronger it it takes longer to lay up and I have to wait for it to dry. I'm Impatient!
When I'm by myself building I can have one of the halves completed with alierons, leading edge, and tip In about an hour and a half so this tends to be my prefered method of assembly. It's just personal preference, I like built up wings.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 PM
pjakew

Just to let everyone know, the final video to complete the wing series that Tim did is done and posted. Just look at the previous links to get to my Youtube page and you can find it. I sure had a great time doing the videos and I learned a ton. It should make my next project a lot easier.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:23 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you guys ever race this thing? I am wondering how it does?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM
tdstaf
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It Hasn't been completed yet. Schedules haven't worked as of late to make the fuse video so I'm going to just continue to build it on the other thread it has been on to complete it for march racing.

Tim