Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

P-51 Giant Scale Racing class - Proposed

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

P-51 Giant Scale Racing class - Proposed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:47 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-51 Giant Scale Racing class - Proposed

I have posted the preliminary objectives and rules for the P-51 Giant Scale Racing class at [link=http://www.p51gs.com]p51gs.com[/link] or [link=http://www.p51giantscaleracing.com]P51GiantScaleRacing.com[/link] and I'm creating this thread separately from the build threads for discussion about the class, the rules, justifications, potential changes, expansion, etc.

Years ago, some people talked about creating a racing class using The World Models P-51 Mustang G.S. along with the Moki 2.1 or 1.8 engine. I don't remember all of the details. But I don't think it went very far. When the current crop of 30cc to 36cc gas engines hit the market in about the same weight range I started thinking about trying to put one on the P-51 to try out. When I started getting back into R/C at the end of 2011 I was interested in the big planes and I like P-51 planes. So I started doing some research on the TWM plane. I emailed Fai Chan at AirBorne about the P-51 G.S. and gas power. He advised me on what needed to be done to the plane to make it suitable for gas power. The changes are minimal. Things like gluing on the removable stab if the plane is stressed in turns. Gluing the wing together if high G turns are going to be pulled. Not using pull-pull on elevator.

(In the text below, when you read "I", you can actually insert "We", because I have collaborated with others on many of these details. I just don't want to be switching between I and We constantly)

For the class I am proposing, I have picked the single airframe that you can find at [link=http://www.airborne-models.com/html/productdetails.asp?ProductID=21]P-51 Mustang G.S.[/link] It comes in 5 different color schemes. All of them are built-up wood structures with fiberglass cowls. The cowl is in 3 pieces. The main cowl has the spinner ring. There is a bottom cowl from the front of the wing that goes to the engine compartment. Then there is a piece that covers the area where the engine goes.

I picked one airframe because Club 40 Racing has worked well with two airframes that have effectively the same drag profile. Stronger engines do make a difference in speed. But the drag profile dictates the performance of the plane to a large degree. There is no getting around the fact that a plane with a smaller flat plate drag profile can go faster than one with a large flat plate drag profile. I also picked one airframe so that there would be an easily transferred knowledge base. With Club 40, people help each other because they know the planes and they share a common "language" when it comes to the airframes. The Club 40 airplanes cost about $275 to $325 complete. These planes will cost $1000-$1200+ each so it is more important to get things right.

However, not everyone is a P-51 fan. So is it a big deal that only P-51 planes are allowed? If other planes are going were to be allowed, how would parity be achieved?

The engines that are going to be allowed in this racing class will be limited to gasoline burning 2 cycle 38cc or smaller reed valve induction types. There is a good selection of these engines and it gets the speed in a range that allows this class to be run at more fields.

I am aware of the USRA 50cc class. It is faster and more expensive. It also is run on a bigger course and is run at USRA events. I see this class as potentially being able to be run at the same fields as RCPRO Warbird Races.

Please respond. I want this to be an open discussion whether you agree or disagree with me. If you like the idea and want to race this class, please speak up.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: P-51 Giant Scale Racing class - Proposed

I Like the idea and had thought about the same last year using the same plane. You say the price of 1,200 or so but that could be way off as there might be an engine that is very strong in these planes and cost more. I would say make a list of engines to pick from or just one engine. Also could set up a rule to run only a certain size prop on these engines also could help make things even.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM
JPGale

The most important thing to know, is AMA rules, generally anything over 80inch wingspan requires more clearance, I beleive the 1600ft course is part of the requirement, so running on RCPRO courses could be an issue. AMA support and help is vital, I would start a correspondence with your local AMA VP and start going over the rules and find out if there are any problem areas.

Otherwise sounds good, but I assume it will be in the NC area so I can't compete.

James
Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 AM
DonStegall

James,

Thanks for the reply.

This class will be developed for a national audience, just like Club 40 was.

By the AMA rulebook, Club 40 would have had to have been run on a 660' 2 pole course with 330' from the pilots line to the pylons. We got waivers so that a shorter course could be used with smaller setbacks because the planes were slower than the speeds that the AMA rulebook assumed. After Club 40 was established we worked with the AMA Executive Council and got the [link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/540-B.pdf]AMA 540-B Document - Set-Back Distances For Sport Pylon Racing[/link] approved so that waivers were not necessary.

Theses planes will not be over 130 mph and can be run on a smaller course. I actually don't think they will ever exceed 120 mph.

After James Barr flew his plane, I thought about changing the engine size to 55cc, but that would increase the speed to 140+ mph and raises the cost by $500+ per plane. I have decided that that is bad idea. It would encroach on the USRA 50cc class and it would limit where this class can be run.

I think what the USRA is doing has a lot of potential. If guys want to run a variety of plane types, they can race the USRA class. That class is more expensive than this class will be, but it is faster and has the benefit of the USRA organization.

I have made arrangements for anyone who want s to buy a P-51 Mustang G.S. for this racing class to get a discount if they join the racing league weill will start and order from AirBorne Models. Contact me for details using the info at [link=http://www.rcpro.org/content/officers/don_stegall.aspx]Don Stegall[/link].

BTW, if you haven't Liked RCPRO on Facebook yet, check out [link]http://www.facebook.com/RCPRO.org[/link] and you will se that I have posted videos of USRA action as well as videos of stuff about this class.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I like this class. In some ways I wish you had gone to the 55cc size just so we could enjoy racing the same planes in different venue styles like RCPRO and the USRA. But I understand the costs by going larger. I think the average cost of the planes in the USRA were around $1500. That depends what all you had in your inventory already. The EVO58 was a good engine choice. The DA60 would be screaming fast.

Last year at Rabbit dry lake bed was the first race featuring the new 50cc (45-65) class. I was hoping for 150 MPH but believe they looked more like the Sundowner Class speeds of 130 MPH. I am certain after time guys will get these things closer to 140 - maybe. The problem is the airfoil on the wings are more sport friendly than race friendly and the stock engine limits holds these things to a very moderate speed.

I am hearing there will be a few more at this years season opener in KS in June. So we will see what improvements have been made or other choices that may yield more speeds.

The reason we opened it up to such a variety is so if one manufacturer decides to end a certain plane we have many more to turn to and arent at the mercy of the distributors. Something to think about even for this class.

I hope you guys get this class off the ground. It offers "Bigger" w/o breaking the bank.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:33 AM
DonStegall

Marty,

This is not set. We could go with a one airframe, one engine formula to control the cost and establish a faster class at the same time.

The [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXWA3&P=ML]DLE Engines DLE-55cc Gas Engine[/link] will work on this plane and at $370 at Tower Hobbbies, the price is right. The DLE is light enough that only a little tail weight may be required. And with the taile surface servos in the tail, maybe none.

While James got the PTE36R, and I have the MLD-35, we are not absolutely set on the engines if a majority of people want to go faster. I'm already planning to use something other than the MLD-35 on mine.

I am looking at this class like Club 40 in that it is both a class of its own, and also a stepping stone up to USRA racing. It takes some effort to get prepared to carry around the bigger planes and work with them in your shop. But I can tell people it is cool having the big planes in the shop. It makes you want to work on the planes and geth them out to the field.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 AM
MFLOOD3800

Don,

It would be a benefit to all if we could combine these planes to be versatile for sure. I applaud you for efforts and open mindedness on this. It takes a lot of work to develope a class with rules that are practical and keep the intent of the class in sight.

When we started the 50cc warbird class it was for the pilot that had one of these already in his/her hanger that thought, "I'd like to try racing this on a course".

You are right , they are big and require certain logistics that a 40 size doesnt .

When I got into the USRA, I was fortunate enough to have many things I could use to haul these around. But my first gasser airplane was a F1GT. So I jumped in over my head.
Your approach will help people ease into this w/o creating too big of a jump for their first step. Excellent job!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
DonStegall

I have waited to buy an engine because I wanted to see how James Barr''s experience went. I got the Cermark/Melody MLD-35 as a promo. I did order some stuff for it, but I don't have a lot invested in it. Getting it on the test stand was a good experience. And having it to see how things fit on the plane was very valuable.

The Hanger 9 P51D 150 should be about the same size as the TWM plane, but I don't know if the same engines will fit. It is a possibility because I have seen videos with SAITO 220's in them.

Just last night I was checking the TWM plane for the longest distance from firewall to spinner ring. It is 6.75".

The [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXWA3&P=ML]DLE-55[/link] is 6.69" with the stock standoffs, but could be shortened by 0.3" by using DLE-30 standoffs and putting an opening in the firewall. However, I don't see the need to shorten it based on my measurements.

The [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYNR4&P=ML]O.S. GT55[/link] will also fit as it is even shorter. The muffler on it may be an issue, but I''m sure that can be worked around. It also costs $300 more.

Robart has retracts that fit the TWM plane. Both air up / air down and air up / spring down. And they have RoboStruts that work as well.

I will probably get the DLE-55 because there are other planes I'm going to get for the [link=http://www.abmshowcase.com]Showcase[/link] that could use it if I don't use it on the P-51.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM
DonStegall

Those interested can check out the [link=http://usrainfo.org/wbird.htm]USRA Provisional Class: WARBIRD[/link] link for info on that class.

The USRA class does currently not allow changing the canopy or removing the belly pan / scoop. So making the RCPRO proposed class planes fit the USRA class would mean taking that out. I don't see that as a big deal. Others might. I would really like to do a Galloping Ghost, Stiletto, or Precious Metal.

I would prefer to be able to have custom color schemes like the Miss America and other Reno style racing schemes, or even Q-40 style racing schemes. I happen to know that there are plenty of the solid yellow [link=http://www.abmshowcase.com/the_world_models/scale/p51gs/models/rockwell/photos/default.aspx]Rockwell[/link] Mustang G.S. planes available and special deals may be a possibility. As I said, if this class starts up, discounts are available to people who join the racing league.

Can I use a custom color scheme on a stock P-51 and have it qualify for the USRA Warbird class?

I found out this evening that the headers for a DA-50 fit the DLE-55 and the O.S. GT55 unless I'm missing something. And they are readily available from places like [link=http://www.desertaircraft.com/index.php]Desert Aircraft[/link] ... Check out the Exhaust menu. I don't think you can fit a Pitts style muffler for either engine under the cowl on the TWM P-51 Mustang G.S. I'm not sure though.

Most clubs require mufflers, even if they are tuned mufflers. I would prefer to run an open header. But for flying every day at the club, or even for racing at some clubs, I might have to put on a tuned muffler, pipe, or canister muffler.

At the minimum a couple of people are going to have some fun.

Thanks a lot for your input Marty and others.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 PM
MFLOOD3800

The USRA warbird class wants all stock warbirds and not reno type racers. So if your plane had the stock configuration set up and meets the minimum 82" wing span for this year (possibly 80" revised for next year) it will work, it can be covered how ever you want.

I just told the wife, I am getting a WM Rockwell. She said' Im fine with that". yea baby!!

Id like to stuff a DA50 in that thing, just happen to have one!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:15 AM
DonStegall

From the drawings of the DA-50R on the DA web site, the length with standoffs is 6.3" and that will fit just fine. The range is 6.15" to 6.75"

We may allow the canopy and belly pan to be modified in the RCPRO class as I have it now so that people can model the Reno racers. If they want their planes to be able to be run in the USRA class, they leave them stock. I already see myself having two planes for the races anyway so I have a backup. The RCPRO races are likely to be regional and if I travel, I want to be able to race if something happens to one of my planes.

I've been flying the giant scale P-51 on RealFlight some and I like the feel of the big planes on there. I've tweaked the power up to see what faster is like, and I like it.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 AM
DonStegall

Anyone who wants to be a part of the rule making process for [link=http://www.P51GiantScaleRacing.com]P51GiantScaleRacing.com[/link] should contact me. I have a private forum set up on RCPRO for private discussions.

Some things we are taking about in emails that are going into that forum ...

Engine sizes and engine lists.

Canopy and rudder modifications.

Compatibility with the USRA Warbird racing class.

Airframe vendor options.

Airframe issues with the bigger engines and reinforcements possibly needed for engines over 40cc.

Gold class for engines over 38cc. Silver class for engines 38cc and under.

It is better to discuss these things privately in a reasonably small group and then present the conclusions so that the "discussions" don't cause public consternation.

But please continue to provide comments here and the RCPRO P-51 Giant Scale Racing Committee will provide updates.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
DonStegall

We have decided to stay with 38cc and smaller engines for this racing class. The short name will be P51GSR for P-51 Giant Scale Racing and there are matching domain names for those name (plus other domain names you can use for convenience).

A very special deal on TWM P-51 airframes has been arranged with The World Models and AirBorne Models and you can see the details at [link=http://P51GSR.com]P51GSR.com[/link]. I'm only posting the link because joining the P51GSR Racing League is required to get the special price of $320 shipped in the continental US. This is a limited time offer and with limited quantities.

If you have questions about the airframe and flight performance, please see James Barr's thread at [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11061188/tm.htm[/link]. You can also see kit photos at [link=http://www.abmshowcase.com/the_world_models/scale/p51gs/default.aspx]P-51 Mustang G.S.[/link]
Old 05-22-2012, 04:44 PM
MFLOOD3800

Don,
I think that engine size is the right call for that airframe.
This will give many an opportunity to experience the bigger perspective of pylon racing while yet on a small enough budget.
Great job!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:45 PM
BarryReade

Well, My WM P-51 GS came today and I will be starting a build thread on it shortly. RCU would not let me load a couple of pics so I will wait and put them all on the build thread.

Great price for the kit shipped. Normal price $399 + $70 shipping= $470. That is a $150 savings!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:04 AM
DonStegall

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

Don,
I think that engine size is the right call for that airframe.
This will give many an opportunity to experience the bigger perspective of pylon racing while yet on a small enough budget.
Great job!
Thanks Marty. And thanks for the input. There could possibly be an upgrade path to the larger engines later in the year with a beefed up wing. Not 100% sure yet.

The discount is awesome. That is just barely more than a lot of .90 to 1.20 size ARF kits. If someone wants a big gasser, now is their time to try one. Joining the racing league isn't a commitment to race, it's just saying that you might race.

Even after June 30, there will still be a discount (10%), it just won't be this great of a discount.