Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

Trashman Classic Warbird Race Sept 22 and 23

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Trashman Classic Warbird Race Sept 22 and 23

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Trashman88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trashman Classic Warbird Race Sept 22 and 23

Trashman Classic Warbird Race will be on September 22nd and 23rd at Sacramento Area Modelers. This is the last warbird series race for the year. Come on out and lets have fun racing for 2 days!!!! The points for the year are very close so there will be some great racing.
See you all there!!!!

Look out Kimo, Jake and Steve, I am ready to make my come back again. As far as Speed, you go ahead and have your speed; right to breakout.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Trashman Classic Warbird Race Sept 22 and 23

Well, got my Tempest all fixed up. New Cowling, and fixed that ripped gear from landing out in the hinterlands when I ran out of fuel. Also got a 20oz tank in there so no more May Days. So I am all ready to go. So Leadfoot where is that ZERO??? I want some pics baby!.

See you all in about 3 weeks to send this season off in the history books. Gotta make a big batch of salsa for this 2 dayer.

I'm Coming For You KIMO!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17372.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	1798178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34145.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	1798179  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

JR, are your sure your airplane will hold together for 2 days? Ali says.....................NOT!!!! hahahahahha
Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 PM
pjakew

Oh sure it will.......just as long as he doesn't fly it!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 PM
pjakew

Kidding aside: hey guys at the HS that I teach at I am trying to get an R/C airplane club going. I am looking for some Spektrum DX5 transmitters and a few park flyer odds and ends, a couple receivers, hand me down servos, batteries, chargers, esc's, motors. Etc. I am also looking for some gws slowstick type kits out there. If you got a few of these kind of items in your shop and you know you don't need them, could you bring them down to the race? These kids have no background in the hobby and are always interested in the racing that I do.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got some servos for you and the kids. Are you sticking to electric power?

Ollie
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM
pjakew

Oh yes. We are keeping these slow and simple for this group. Much appreciated Ollie
Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM
speedracerntrixie

Jake, I have moved the kids to a Eaglet 50 so I can donate the privious electric trainer. It will be airframe and servos so you will need to come up with a 300 size brushless motor setup.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 PM
pjakew

Oh wow, thanks a bunch. That is very generous. All this really helps more than you know. These teens in Covelo don't have much to do so the few that I have talked to about it are really interested in getting this going. Every bit helps guys!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 PM
speedracerntrixie

Hmmm Pretty quiet here. I hope all you guys are ready, I know I am.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Wow, This thread is a real barn burner.

I Went to SAMs today and thought I would test fly my Spitfire to make sure everything was cool. I fired up the motor on the testing table and it was running at about 1/2 throd for a few minutes when BOOM!!!!!!
The prop exploded. It compleatle ripped off my entire firewall in about 1 second. This was one of the "So called" New version 14X13N APC props the I got from Jim Skids from APC. What totally frosts me is that it's the same prop I used at the entire last race, So it has like 5 flights and a warm up on it. Donnie Printz (Spelling) was there and nice enough to find all of the prop parts. All I can say guys is: BE CAREFULL!!!!!! Stay out of other peoples prop arch. THe blade parts flew 60' and would have easily hurt someone. I not only ballance but torque my props and I also replace my prop thrust plate after every dozen or so prop removals. I will visit APC on Monday as Robert will be back in the office. I was not the only guy to have this happen to today, Steve Stokes brand new Voodoo exploded a 12X12 std and down went his new bird. Total junk now.

Dave
Old 09-15-2012, 08:05 AM
pjakew

Sorry to about your test run-up. This issue is becoming one of serious concern. I think we have lucked out that this has not happened on the starting line. Would it sound unreasonable for an APC rep to come out to the race and do some observations and get pilot comments and feedback? I think this issue can be resolved with some proper customer response about the product.

On a suckier note: my best friend of 20 years, Neil, father passed away Thursday and they are talking of having the funeral on Saturday. If that is the case I will not be able to make the race []. I will keep you posted.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 AM
JPGale

Hi all,

My gold plane crashed on landing she flew well. As a result I will not be there this weekend have a good weekend and see you soon.

Bulldog
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 PM
PLANEBENDER

Sorry about your bad luck James. We were looking foward to having you there. Prayers out to ya Jake, Hope you can make the race but totally understand if you can not. An APC rep visit is EXACTLY what we all need. For now, they are the only game in town. I for one am shopping around.

Planebender
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 PM
pjakew

Well it looks like the funeral is at 3 and since there is only 3 races on Saturday I think I will be O.K. I will need to leave the race by 1:00 so hopefully Silver is done at that time. I hope the matrix puts me in a 1st heat in the 3rd race. Crossing my fingers. Due to the circumstances I wont be able to brew the salsa. Sorry folks.

See you folks Friday evening.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM
speedracerntrixie

I just got aff the phone with JR and he indicated he will do what he can to get you out of there ASAP Jake.

As for the prop issues. Sounds like some testing is in order. Making the props stronger with the current plastic formula will just add weight and IMO will be two steps forward and one backward. They used to make some props by using a CF re-inforcement instead of the grey fiber that is typical. Maybe convince them to mold some props in the CF formula? The other option would be very expensive and that would be for someone to come up with a set of molds to do a CF/epoxy prop. That would require CNC aluminum molds. We have the capability just not sure how guys would feel spending 40.00 for a prop. I really wish Bolly was still in business. As a side thought, I remember the old Top Flight nylon props needed to be boiled before use. This somehow increased their strength. APC is a type of nylon.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM
pjakew

I really appreciate the help. Things just kind of came together at the wrong time. Better than the alternative. I thought I was going to miss the race altogether. Worst case scenario is I miss a heat.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

I just got aff the phone with JR and he indicated he will do what he can to get you out of there ASAP Jake.

As for the prop issues. Sounds like some testing is in order. Making the props stronger with the current plastic formula will just add weight and IMO will be two steps forward and one backward. They used to make some props by using a CF re-inforcement instead of the grey fiber that is typical. Maybe convince them to mold some props in the CF formula? The other option would be very expensive and that would be for someone to come up with a set of molds to do a CF/epoxy prop. That would require CNC aluminum molds. We have the capability just not sure how guys would feel spending 40.00 for a prop. I really wish Bolly was still in business. As a side thought, I remember the old Top Flight nylon props needed to be boiled before use. This somehow increased their strength. APC is a type of nylon.
OK All,
I figure I'll chime in regarding the prop issue. I first will state that I have lost a blade on three different motors in the last 3-4 years. All three times were while the plane was in the air, two of the three ended up having the motor "eject" out of the plane with the firewall and motor mount still attached. The third time I lost both blades and was able to shut down the motor and land the airplane. I have lost props on a 110s, 120sc, and a 115s. In only speaking of my losses, I can say that I am pretty sure that my losses were related to my own errors and I have made adjustments to how I approach mounting a prop and running the motors. Here are my personal recommendations to hopefully help others minimize issues:

1. Use only fuel with the correct oil package for a YS Engine. YS recommends (and I strongly agree) that you should run 20% oil at a minimum. (For "thinner" oils, 23%)
I personally use Morgan's cool power 100% synthetic.

2. Never use the prop washer provided with the tru-turn or other spinner companies' washers. They don't cover the entire hub of the prop and will distort when tightened. If the washer is bent, IT AIN'T
RIGHT!

3. Make sure the prop is tight, but you don't (or shouldn't) need to use a 3 foot long wrench to tighten the nuts. (Doing so only damages the prop)

4. Inspect the prop often and make sure that there aren't any stress marks.

5. Be aware of how the plane is transported and make sure that the prop doesn't become stressed on trips to and from the field.

6. And lastly, avoid lean runs. (should go without saying, but since I've done it, hopefully this will help others).... on run up (especially first run of the day) make sure to give the motor time to warm up,
and the tank time to pressurize. The newest YS motors, 115s, and 70s, need a lot of time to warm up and build tank pressure. These motors make a large amount of torque and power and like any
premium piece of equipment they need to be respected. There are many different methods used to tune a YS , but the common practice that every method employs is that the motor needs to
be "richer" than needed at start, then you slowly lean the motor out until you have it where you need it.

Hopefully this information helps others out there avoid some of the pitfalls that I have had to work through over the years.

Jimmy Skids

Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM
pjakew

All registered up for the race!
Old 09-21-2012, 12:25 PM
JPGale

Good luck to all at the race, I miss joining you all. See you next year.

James
Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 PM
PLANEBENDER

Anyone get a copy of the CH10 news show they taped??? I'm sure they got Jakes wing doing an exit. Sorry for your loss of both planes. Tough weekend indeed.

Planebender
Old 09-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw this on their website:
http://www.news10.net/news/local/art...-in-Sacramento

But just a picture of a few starting up planes, no video.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 PM
pjakew

Ya, super sucky for me. Oh well, what can you do but rebuild. I guess it was just my time for the dark clouds to hover over me.
Congrats to the winners.

Btw: Got your message Tommy. Ask Casey when he is doing another run to Willits. Maybe he can drop my starter off at the Mendo Mill here in town.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone,
The points for the Trashman Classic and the Year Long Series have been posted on the SAM site. www.sacramento-rc-flyers.org

Congratulations to all the winners for the year.
Jimmy Skids
Old 09-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Casey Leadfoot Smith

What a superstar!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.