Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sams warbird racing

Yes I couldn't care less about the color of the aircraft except it is easier to see with certain colors. As far as scale is concerened I'm just reading the rules.
    The breakout rule is the killer of all out speed, it doesn't matter how big or small or how fast your plane is, it boils down to breaking out period. If your plane is the fastest one there and you breakout you loose, so speed isn't the factor of winning. I still don't understand why SAM's handycaps the 2 stroke engine with a larger wing area if they use the breakout rule, it doesn't matter what you fly as long as its a warbird
    Walk softly but carry a big stick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do see everyones point. I have sat down with JR and learned the history that lead to the racing we have now. My understanding is that the scale judging was done because participation was dropping. We are again faced with participation dropping and that is why there are going to be some changes focusing on Bronze. We need to get need blood into Sams Racing to keep it going strong. IMO making the series more difficult to participate by adding to the scale requirements is not going in the correct direction. I enjoy seeing a scale warbird as much as the next guy. The next generation Macchi of mine will have a more scale outline and some details added but I have to agree with some of the other guys here and that is we are there to race, not have a beauty contest. I mean no offence with this statement but it seems that the guys that are wanting more scale appearance have not been racing at SAM's the past few seasons.

In the end I say build what you want and how you want to build it as long as it fits within the scope of the rules.
    Of course it's true, I read it on the Internet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

EDIT: this is in reply to tdstaf, I realized i didnt quote his message

That's a very fine offer, I may take you up on it. For now, if you could just get a few critical measurements for me and a pic or two, that would suffice.

I need an overall measurement from the back of the engine (with mount if possible) to the drive washer face, overall height and width, and maybe from the mounting surface to the top of the head, and same to bottom. A pic from both sides with a ruler would be awesome too!

Thank you so much for the offer, I'll get started with measurements and see how that goes. You can email me at rjensen(at)Arcturus-Uav.com or post here. Whatever is easier.
    Mach 3 with my hair on fire!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

I do see everyones point. I have sat down with JR and learned the history that lead to the racing we have now. My understanding is that the scale judging was done because participation was dropping. We are again faced with participation dropping and that is why there are going to be some changes focusing on Bronze. We need to get need blood into Sams Racing to keep it going strong. IMO making the series more difficult to participate by adding to the scale requirements is not going in the correct direction. I enjoy seeing a scale warbird as much as the next guy. The next generation Macchi of mine will have a more scale outline and some details added but I have to agree with some of the other guys here and that is we are there to race, not have a beauty contest. I mean no offence with this statement but it seems that the guys that are wanting more scale appearance have not been racing at SAM's the past few seasons.

In the end I say build what you want and how you want to build it as long as it fits within the scope of the rules.
    I wasn't trying to make it more difficult just give some of the guys that put more effort out an incentive to race with some bonus point for being more scale or have a scale paint scheme.

My only real gripe is, it doesn't take that much effort to paint it like something that exzisted.

I'll go up against your macchi any day with one of mine. Which should I finish first for next year? he 100, Rare bear, ta 152, Czech mate, Spiteful? Speed take your pick. Your racing silver right?

Tim
    Who says scale warbirds have to be GIANT.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lownverted

That's a very fine offer, I may take you up on it. For now, if you could just get a few critical measurements for me and a pic or two, that would suffice.

I need an overall measurement from the back of the engine (with mount if possible) to the drive washer face, overall height and width, and maybe from the mounting surface to the top of the head, and same to bottom. A pic from both sides with a ruler would be awesome too!

Thank you so much for the offer, I'll get started with measurements and see how that goes. You can email me at rjensen(at)Arcturus-Uav.com or post here. Whatever is easier.
    I'll get them for ya in couple.

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tdstaf

I wasn't trying to make it more difficult just give some of the guys that put more effort out an incentive to race with some bonus point for being more scale or have a scale paint scheme.

My only real gripe is, it doesn't take that much effort to paint it like something that exzisted.

I'll go up against your macchi any day with one of mine. Which should I finish first for next year? he 100, Rare bear, ta 152, Czech mate, Spiteful? Speed take your pick. Your racing silver right?

Tim

Tim you are correct but I like to be crate my own colors not just copy, just the way i prefer to do it. As of now I plan to retire the pair of Macchi's I have. Of course that all depends on if I can get the new generation done in time. The plan is an all composite YS 115 powered Macchi for gold class. Fuse plug is almost done, goal is to have molds done by the first of the year.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I personally would like to see some kind of extra point system added for those that like to build more scale. Something that is an equaliser like, a zero or five points awarded for someone that has modeled it after a specific picture and can show proof. It would be nice to see more of a variety of aircraft in different color schemes and closer to the spirit of the event. For instance those that have proof get five points and this replaces there lowest race score in turn making the field closer in total. Just a thought.

+1 one

Howm many all white mustangs are there with pink wing tips????????? Or all black spitfires lol
    [:'(] My point exactly!
    White mustangs?
    Red P 47's ?
    Black spitfires?
    Black Ki 61's
    White Macchi's
    So, if theres no proof is it really passing you??
    In response to all the digs on Black Spitfires...... This is/was the motivation for my original Spitfire in Black (and Red). The color scheme kind of has become my "trade mark" and I stuck with it. I'm all for scale, but really I'm out there to race planes that have a limited life expectancy and really am not going to put a ton of time on them just to end up having them damaged in a mid-air. In the last ten years of racing I have averaged about one lost aircraft per season. Each Gold plane takes me about 45-55 hours to assemble. For me time is a huge issue between work and raising two young men.

Jimmy Skids

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pm35156.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	1821698  
    TEAM JR
    Spitfire Brotherhood #99
    Outlaw Racing CD 2001 to present

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Skids

I personally would like to see some kind of extra point system added for those that like to build more scale. Something that is an equaliser like, a zero or five points awarded for someone that has modeled it after a specific picture and can show proof. It would be nice to see more of a variety of aircraft in different color schemes and closer to the spirit of the event. For instance those that have proof get five points and this replaces there lowest race score in turn making the field closer in total. Just a thought.

+1 one

Howm many all white mustangs are there with pink wing tips????????? Or all black spitfires lol
    [:'(] My point exactly!
    White mustangs?
    Red P 47's ?
    Black spitfires?
    Black Ki 61's
    White Macchi's
    So, if theres no proof is it really passing you??
    In response to all the digs on Black Spitifres......

Now I can live with that Skids!

Thats all I'm asking.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lownverted

Attached Files Attached Files
    TEAM JR
    Spitfire Brotherhood #99

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That'll work, thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If scale doesnt matter to much then why cant the PM strega cant fly even though its so darn slow. maybe take a Q-500 enlarge it to meet the wing area rules. put a warbird trim on like envasion stripes or somethng and go race with a 115 lol

I havent been to a single SAMS race yet so I cant say much on the planes though. I do plan to make it our next year for sure.
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Because it doesn't even come close to looking like a strega, all the planes at the SAM's race I think conform to the rule of what you will call a warbird, they look like the plane they are representing and most look very nice and the builder put alot of work into them with the different color scheme's, but I would hate to put that much effort into a plane and then loose it for whatever the reason. I believe in making it light, color it so you have a easy time seeing it, build it for the class you want to race in.
    Walk softly but carry a big stick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Race I wasnt trying to insult. Just poking fun some. I havent seen any planes up there racing yet except Speedracers. When is the next race?
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well then Raptor you have seen the best LOL Actually Racewizards silver airplane is almost identical to mine but with more color. He was the first to race the Macchi and I started with mine without knowing. I was under the impression that I had the only one and then saw his.

So looks like we have two groups here. The guys who want race airplanes that other then meeting the rules are not concerned with scale detail and those who want more scale looking airplanes and color schemes. HMMM maybe have a concourse class with a 2:15 breakout. Award points for static and racing.

When is the next race?
    (I'll do my best to answer your question, but it can be complicated.) Until end-of-December's Events Planning Meeting, we won't know for sure; but in the past, SAM's first warbird race has usually been the first or second Sunday in April. Even after our scheduling meeting, the final schedule has to be approved by our Board of Directors, and then coincide (or at least avoid major conflicts) with other clubs' event schedules, too. Due to these coordination efforts, we often still end up having to do some tweaking on the dates after we originally post the initial race schedule.

How many races throughout the year, and when they are scheduled, also largely depends on who "steps up to the plate" to CD the races, and what their availability & preferences are. For example, Jim Sweeney or Jerry Votaw often ran the Spring races, but are no longer CD-ing. I plan to CD a race this year (it will be my first attempt) to step-in to do my part to help take the load off of JR as he does his best to carry-on Jerry's legacy, but am not available to CD the April event. I'm hoping for an available date for my race on either June 30, July 7 or 14th, but have no idea yet whether other CDs may be looking for a similar time.

WARNING: High-nitro fumes cause an unusual form of mental debilitation resulting in excess expenditures on racing airplanes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HMMMÂ* maybe have a concourse class with a 2:15 breakout.Â* Award points for static and racing.
    Not a bad idea speed. I'm in!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So my buddy Steve has committed to racing next year as well. So that's two from the Santa Rosa area. I'd be willing to bet that once ours are flying, one or possibly two more may give it a shot, but likely with ARF's. Going to be a busy building season!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Be careful Red, don't make promises you can't keep.

It's been a large burden on my shoulders representing The North Coast at the races, but I have managed.

BTW. Still got my little nitro Spitfire for the 12th scale nitro series you guys used to do at the Healdsburg field. Sure miss that racing, it was fun.
    \"You Can Teach...Monkeys To Fly Better Than That!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pjakew

It's been a large burden on my shoulders representing The North Coast at the races, but I have managed.

BTW. Still got my little nitro Spitfire for the 12th scale nitro series you guys used to do at the Healdsburg field. Sure miss that racing, it was fun.
    Jake,
    When you say managed, does that refer to you blowing up two wings at the last race?
    Skids
    TEAM JR
    Spitfire Brotherhood #99

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jake,
    When you say managed, does that refer to you blowing up two wings at the last race?
    Skids

Well, he did look good on camera.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jake,
    Skids
    I never said it was easy!
    \"You Can Teach...Monkeys To Fly Better Than That!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aww Jake, sounds like we'll fit right in. I still have my Bearcat and Tsunami if you want to fly 1/12 scale sometime.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess I'm committed now. I'm cutting plywood for the fuselage crutch right now. The plan is a molded fuse so this will be the plug. I won't get much done for a couple of weeks though, I'm headed out of town for work, but at least I can say I started!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A little bit of progress...This is gonna be fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd92453.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	1823540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id96128.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	1823541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq37759.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1823542  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmm looks like I may have to snap some pics of my almost complete fuse plug. I like the look of that airfoil. Looks like I'm not the only one who is looking over plots LOL

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast