Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sams warbird racing

Yeah...airfoils are my thing. You can lead, follow or get out of the way. You can guess what I'm aiming for Would love to see pics of your project!!
    Mach 3 with my hair on fire!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok as promised or threatened however you look at it LOL. The fuse plug is almost ready for primer. I need to get the wing plug built so I can do the wing fillets. This one has a few scale details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65112.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	1824315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni22864.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	1824316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw57431.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	1824317  
    Of course it's true, I read it on the Internet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good, but isn't the fuse on a scale one more round?
    \"You Can Teach...Monkeys To Fly Better Than That!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jake, this one is more round then any of the previous versions. Pics just don't show it very well. But yes, the full scale is more round.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pjakew

Looking good, but isn't the fuse on a scale one more round?

Nice one Jake!

Hmm? Mustang exhaust on a Macchi, interesting??

All kidding aside Speed, always beautiful work...!
    Who says scale warbirds have to be GIANT.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL Tim you caught that one did ya? My daughter has a .46 WM Candyman. I borrowed the clear cowl and cast a set of epoxy exhaust.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

LOL Tim you caught that one did ya? My daughter has a .46 WM Candyman. I borrowed the clear cowl and cast a set of epoxy exhaust.
    Come on now, Ya think I would let that slide?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well now everyone knows the extent of effort I will put into scale details

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Well now everyone knows the extent of effort I will put into scale detailsΒ*Β* [img][/img]

ROFLMAO!!!
    ROFLMAO!!! [X(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good Shawn, for some reason it looks long maybe just the way the photo was taken
    Walk softly but carry a big stick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All,

Here is an update on the SAM racing and rules for 2013. JR (Trashman) and I will be working on some rules changes for 2013 over the next 30 days. These changes will need to be run by the CD's prior to having them posted, but for the most part the changes are pretty minor. There is the addition of "trainer type" military aircraft for the bronze class (T 34, T28, etc), and a new distribution for all three classes with regards to the "prize pot".

Wing area changes were discussed and it was decided that with the other changes being made that there wouldn't be changes made with regards to the wing area charts (plus if we touch the wing area charts or break out times, we would need to apply to have our waiver updated).

Along with the two rules changes there also will be a change in the entry fees based upon racing class. The entry fees are not part of the rules, but are at the discretion of the CDs. What we are going to do for 2013 is have a lower entry fee for Bronze, maintain the same fee for Silver, and increase the entry fee for Gold (more than likely). All the entry fees are still under discussion at this time, but the changes seem to be beneficial for all classes and hopefully will prove to be a positive change. The Gold entry fee was discussed at $50 per pilot and most present seemed comfortable at that point.

Jimmy Skids
    TEAM JR
    Spitfire Brotherhood #99
    Outlaw Racing CD 2001 to present

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just get rid of the wing area rule and dont change the break out time. Maybe for 2014 lol
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can't get rid of the wing area rule, just make it equal for 2 and 4 stroke engines. I don't understand why AMA needs to be notified to have a rule like this changed. The speed of the aircraft is controled by the breakout rule. Why handycap the 2 stroke engine?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The more I think about it a larger wing area with the same weight as the smaller planes might be faster anyway. Less AoA and better out of the corners.
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here Speedy.

Let me show you what a scale plane looks like. This is my project thus far. Notice a nice "round" body, not the "soap box" racer profile. The project is coming along, may try and have this one done by Christmas. We will see.

I know others have their projects in order. Let's see em!!!

Name:	Mk25711.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	1825062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lh18432.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	1825063  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ha Ha Jake. I have NEVER really been into scale. Odd because for the last 15 years all of my airplanes have been a scale airplane, just more focus on performance wether it be for aerobatics or racing. That being said BRING IT oh master of round! hahahaha

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jake are you talking more like this

Name:	Pn38020.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	1825612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr53703.jpg 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	1825613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo31393.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	1825614  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Racewizard

Very cool

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still want to see that airplane fly!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya, that would do it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've only flown it once and it flys ok, a little heavy. I intend on building another one a bit smaller and lighter and see what happens. There's alot of work that goes into building this from scratch to make it look scale just to race it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Sam Guys,

Who is running the SAM races as to what dates adn such? I have sent a handful of emails out to various guys and no responses. We are getting ready to publish our dates down here and trying to coordinate, but we have been moving forward the past two weeks setting up dates. I would like to try to get at least a couple weeks in between races if possible. Since you guys are going to allow World Models T-34's and other trailers (Bronze only ) , would like to try to boost your entries as well as ours. Can one of you guys email me at t34racing@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Kev

Bye the way, I do the AMA waivers for our racing at various fields and very familiar with the process. Bottom line, AMA is worried about speed of the planes and course layout. They dont really pay much attention the motor/wing area combination as long as you have basic guidelines to follow to make them safe. If you have a breakout time, then you should be able to allow any engine/wing area to work. Southern California and Arizona have been doing this successfully I believe. You might get a little more entries if you went this route as the 2-strokes are always at a disadvantage with the current and past formula's. Has anyone talked to the AMA VP on the matter. He is the one you need to talk to and get the ball rolling.
    KEVIN NORRED,
    California T-34 Triangle Series Coordinator(retired)
    California Sport Warbird Series Coordinator (retired)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kevin,
    Events planning meeting for SAMs is on the 18th of December. At that time dates and CD's will be determined. At the last meeting wing area, etc was discussed and it was decided that it would remain unchanged for this year at a minimum. If we see a lot more interest by two stroke pilots, then the change will be looked into again. (interest defined as individuals who come and particpate who express and interest in seeing changes).
    Jimmy Skids
    TEAM JR
    Spitfire Brotherhood #99
    Outlaw Racing CD 2001 to present

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Right now it doesn't make much sense to build a plane with a 2 stroke with the added square inches in wing area to compete in the gold class just to show interest, what sense does that make?[>:] and by the way I do participate in the SILVER class with a 2 stroke and thinking about building something for the GOLD class.

Babe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Right now it doesn't make much sense to build a plane with a 2 stroke with the added square inches in wing area to compete in the gold class just to show interest, what sense does that make?[>:] and by the way I do participate in the SILVER class with a 2 stroke and thinking about building something for the GOLD class.

Babe
    Babe,

I believe that Jim is likely referring to the last revision to the Engine/Wing Area charts that was made about 2 years ago. Many from other racing venues were running OS .75 and .95 two strokes and wanted to see them be able to compete more comparably in our series of races, as well. These racers expressed similar intentions that if these engines were allowed to be used with smaller airframes than our rules at the time permitted, that they would then be able to run their current engine/plane combos and would be competitive in Silver; and that they would be joining us in fairly large numbers in the Silver class, as well. We made the changes as asked of us (allowing the .75 to be used with airframes of 515 sq. inches & the .95 with 550 sq. inches) and initially picked up a few new racers; but long-term, have seen relatively little growth in participation from the many that stated "If we built it (or in this case 'changed it'), they'd come" to Silver.

Many of us believe that one of the key factors behind the success of our series of races, and the resultant growth since it began, has been the consistency of our rules, over time. That if you invest the time and expense to build a plane to be competitive, that you can generally count on the rules to remain constant and not make your fleet suddenly "obsolete" (in competitive terms), next year. As someone who generally designs my planes from scratch, to a specific wing area/engine combination, then builds each from scratch, I find it very comforting to know that after I've spent a couple years in development from inception to working out the bugs and ready to compete, that my efforts will not be undone because the rules end up changing every one or two years.

Furthermore, changing the rules at this late stage, with our first event only 4 months away, with all the extra effort required with clearing the waiver, rewriting and disseminating the rules, and other incidental effects, making these changes simply is not practical for this upcoming season. I don't mean to speak for you Jim, and please correct me if I am wrong, but if he and the other CDs are feeling what I am feeling, I would like to think that many would still come down and join us, even if it is for Silver class, just to get a "feel" for what the SAM Club and our extended family(of regular 'out of town' racers) are like, the quality of the events, people, and overall experience. Once those who state they'd come . . . actually came, then we can evaluate whether making these changes will result in an overall positive effect on participation. Were we to decide to make changes without weighing all the pros and cons, and have time to get appropriate input from all involved, we could rush into a decision that potentially has long-term negative consequences on the quality of our series.

While I know that you've come down to join us, Babe, I'm asking you continue and be joined by the others interested in potential rule changes to come join us, get to know us; and if the experience gets you "hooked", PLEASE express your suggestions while all concerned can all give feedback and be heard. We need to SEE how many PARTICIPANTS are truly affected by this rule. Then, if we find that changes are merited, we can do so with plenty of notice to all.

Thanks,

Ollie
    WARNING: High-nitro fumes cause an unusual form of mental debilitation resulting in excess expenditures on racing airplanes.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast