Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sams warbird racing

ORIGINAL: Racewizard

Can someone from SAM's tell me how many feet are between pylons? I read the rules and either I missed it or it's not there
    Thanks
    Babe
    700 feet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I raced Gold Class SAM & SWRA for years, then took a ten year break from RC. I came back last year after I found out I had blood/bone cancer, RC takes my mind off the Cancer & gives me something to do during the day. I returned to racing more for the fellowship more than anything else - and boy, had things changed in ten years! Yes, I am the proud owner of two brand new YS 115's (A really good friend needed one for a day so I bought him one to use for one race). I am, in my heart, a two stroke guy! If I can pipe it, I'll fly it. Like Planebender said, It's what you can afford/ or what your priorities are...... I'm not rich on disability by any means, but with my disability I spend every cent on RC.....sold my motorcycles to do it - even when it hurts too bad to walk or stand, I'm working on airplanes. It really makes me not happy when I see the guy wanting to use a 120AX, but exclude DF or F.I.R.E engines......Why? The two strokes need all the help they can get. Like I said, I have two 115's - that's what is winning.....If Rosssi 91's were winning, everybody would have one - there're not. I'm building two four stroke powered Gold planes, a four stroke Silver & practice plane, and two 2-stroke planes - testing will see if they make Gold. That's five planes, hopefully one will place. If not, I'll find a pilot to fly them for me that will....... just my .02 cents!
    And on the Eighth Day God Created YS............

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: carider67

I raced Gold Class SAM & SWRA for years, then took a ten year break from RC. I came back last year after I found out I had blood/bone cancer, RC takes my mind off the Cancer & gives me something to do during the day. I returned to racing more for the fellowship more than anything else - and boy, had things changed in ten years! Yes, I am the proud owner of two brand new YS 115's (A really good friend needed one for a day so I bought him one to use for one race). I am, in my heart, a two stroke guy! If I can pipe it, I'll fly it. Like Planebender said, It's what you can afford/ or what your priorities are...... I'm not rich on disability by any means, but with my disability I spend every cent on RC.....sold my motorcycles to do it - even when it hurts too bad to walk or stand, I'm working on airplanes. It really makes me not happy when I see the guy wanting to use a 120AX, but exclude DF or F.I.R.E engines......Why? The two strokes need all the help they can get. Like I said, I have two 115's - that's what is winning.....If Rosssi 91's were winning, everybody would have one - there're not. I'm building two four stroke powered Gold planes, a four stroke Silver & practice plane, and two 2-stroke planes - testing will see if they make Gold. That's five planes, hopefully one will place. If not, I'll find a pilot to fly them for me that will....... just my .02 cents!
    You have been out for a bit. The 120 AX with a Jett muffler is very close to the YS115 in power if not just a tad less. My complaint is that the YS 115 gets to fly in a smaller plane. Thats why its winning. The 120 AX turns a 14.5x14.5N APC at 9,100 the YS can turn this prop close to 9,500 on 45% nitro
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I have been away for a while.... I actually quit after I won a Gold Race with a then new YS120NC in a Global P-47 - it ripped! Suffice it to say Jeff W was the CD, and didn't like losing - he scattered a P-47 into the runway 20 ft from myself & caller Jerry C. I love balsa shrapnel & hot fuel in the morning! lol. Anyway, he F'ed everybody on the prizes and took the donated Dub Jett FIRE .50 for himself & I got a Futaba AM 4 channel I had enough, SAM lost a good pilot & scale builder. Thats one of the things that I didn't like when I came back - 1/2 your score used to be from static display, not anymore? At least make it a bonus or something..... Another thing I saw was - where the eff were all the people? We used to fill every possible spot & have 1/2 the people on folding tables and RV's! And a lot of people traveled from LA & Arizona - talk about commitment! For the most part, they were cool people - Tony P, Blues Brothers, Etc. It was fun! So I would have to say SAM's biggest problem is recruiting new people - I was out testing Old Yeller' the other day, by myself, and I saw a 15 yr old kid and his family flying a bland new foam Corsair- the new model of that. I have one, wasn't hard to drop $500 into it - and he has a similar T-28. I told him, as his flying was decent & he made good flying decisions, that for the same money he could get a World Models T-34 Mentor & race Bronze. I got his number if somebody closer wants to mentor him (no pun intended)! I live In San Rafael, he's in Ranch Cordova. We need all the new flyers we can get instead of worrying about a few square inches - I proved back in the day a long, high aspect wing on a Jack Stafford P-63 (have one under the bed - smells bad!) would be just as fast - 610 sq in - then a Mustang with about 450 sq in. Both planes used the exact same engine & pipe - I switched them back and forth - and the 63 was way faster! So then I put a new at the time YS 91 in the Mustang and it tore a*s! Right, Dave (I gave the plane to Dave S. I do that a lot with planes & motors for those in need). Anyway, it's fun to be back, It's real nice to meet a mixture of old & new friends........ But most of all I miss Jerry!! I'm building a tribute Mustang for him this spring, I got a YS 45 & YS 110 FZ from his daughter through his estate - Jerry was funny but not so much on maintanence Both Motors need complete rebuilds, I could use help with that. I'll (gasp) build up a plane, already have it. So if anyone wants to help donate time or materials, let me know. Also, might need help with the covering - I have it - but with twins on the way in April, time could be tough for me to say the least! Again, my .02 cents.......
    And on the Eighth Day God Created YS............

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: carider67

1/2 your score used to be from static display, not anymore? At least make it a bonus or something.....

Just What I've been Trying to say!

Carider I like your additude! Give me a call we could chat.

Tim 916 612 6193

Who says scale warbirds have to be GIANT.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678