Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

SAMS 2013 Warbird Racing Schedule

Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

SAMS 2013 Warbird Racing Schedule

Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Casey Leadfoot Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAMS 2013 Warbird Racing Schedule

Hey everybody. This will be the dates for the 2013 SAMS warbird racing. These dates still need to be approved by the board of directors of the SAMS club but most were present at the events scheduling meeting so I don't see a problem with it getting approved.

April 7th- Big Kahuna
June 23rd- Pylonpalooza
July 14th- Tres Amigos
August 4th- Valley Of Speed
September 21/22- Trashnan Classic

Not in the racing series but it's an all silver class race.....

October 27th- Two Minute Tango

Hope to see everybody at the races.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: SAMS 2013 Warbird Racing Schedule

Looks great. The clock is officially ticking now...
Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm thinking about racing this year... I still have an airframe and everything for it except an engine. How does the 115 do in the silver class is it too much for the WM mustang I have? I had a 110 in it last time and it seemed like the perfect match on 20/20 fuel for silver class.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there Nick,
A 115 will just make it easier to adjust for a bad start and give you the power you need to jack around with the competition.
Saw you in RC Country and couldn't remember your name.
Glad to see you're thinking about coming out to race.
Come on over to practice with us on a future Sunday. Be my guest, I'll cover your day use fee if you aren't yet a member.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

April 7th- Big Kahuna
June 23rd- Pylonpalooza
July 14th- Tres Amigos

Hey there
So are these the good dates for 2013?
Areall of these for all 3 classes?

just trying to figure a date that may be doable for me

Thx guys
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM
camss69

ORIGINAL: Tommy_Gun

Hey there Nick,
A 115 will just make it easier to adjust for a bad start and give you the power you need to jack around with the competition.
Saw you in RC Country and couldn't remember your name.
Glad to see you're thinking about coming out to race.
Come on over to practice with us on a future Sunday. Be my guest, I'll cover your day use fee if you aren't yet a member.
Hey Tommy,

Thanks I just may take you up on that! I ordered servos for it and I have just about everything else except an engine. I hope to have one in the next couple weeks and I should be able to get it together not long after that. I will definitely need to get a few practice sessions in before the season starts!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Racewizard
My Feedback: (2)

Camss69 that setup is even good for GOLD, Almost everyone there is running a YS115 or a 110. Your 110 is even more then you need for Silver

Babe
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

April 7th- Big Kahuna
June 23rd- Pylonpalooza
July 14th- Tres Amigos

Hey there
So are these the good dates for 2013?
Areall of these for all 3 classes?

just trying to figure a date that may be doable for me

Thx guys
Yes, Marty. Each of those dates have been approved by our Board. Short of AMA having some sort of problem with the dates due to some sort of other conflict - which is highly unlikely considering they are all Class C events - we are about as sure of them as we can be. (I turned in my Event Sanction paperwork for the August 4th race, back in December, but still haven't received the official sanction back yet.)

Ollie

Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
MFLOOD3800

Dang, the only race w/o a conflict date for me is the April race.
Hopefully that will work out.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Iron Dog

Dang, the only race w/o a conflict date for me is the April race.
Hopefully that will work out.
I certainly hope so, too.

. . . Well, at least the weather is usually mild at that time of year.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
MFLOOD3800

Alright, one step closer to a 12 hr drive for a one day April race in Nor Cal!!
- I think I may have another race interested in attending.
If we show up in time Saturday, can we practice at the field? Or is non-membership an issue?
Will the field be open to the membership or is it closed for practicing or both allowed?
Thx guys
Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

Saturday is for the racers to practice and get set up. Oh ya, and to eat lots of grub and drink lots of beer!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

If we show up in time Saturday, can we practice at the field? Or is non-membership an issue?
Will the field be open to the membership or is it closed for practicing or both allowed?
Thx guys

Marty, I usually put in some laps with the race planes just to make sure they are working correctly and then sport fly an aerobatic bird. It's almost become a tradition to put in a dusk flight. Bring something to BBQ and please do join us for the Sat nite BBQ. What brand of beer do ya drink?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Iron Dog

Thx guys
Marty,

In the past, we have stated that your entry fee entitles you to fly for free the day before the race. So non-membership is definitely NOT an issue.

Both. The field is open to the general membership, but is definitely still open to race competitors for practicing. While some sport flyers will be there too, many of those that have more flexible schedules prefer to come on a day with less air traffic, so may generally tend to stay away the day before a race. You can definitely get some practice in.

Jake,

We can only eat the grub if you don't forget to bring it this year ["the" definitive salsa, that is]!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM
MFLOOD3800

Ya, I like to fly at the venuejust to get the first flight "jitters" out of the way.
The only beer I drink now is rootbeer.

I like the idea of a BBQ.
So if I bring my M/Home, is it ok to park there?
Are there rooms near by?
Any night flying?
Im thinking some foamy lit up pylon racing on a 100' course?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM
speedracerntrixie

Marty, plenty of room for motorhomes. There are usually others there with some trailers too. There are always guys doing some nite flying and other activities. Racing with the Sam's guys is the most fun then I have ever had in 30 years of competitively flying R/C. My entire family participates, heck I have even had my mother in law out there cheering me on. I think she and my kids cheered louder for Ollie though LOL. I'll have to stop at a specialty soda shop we have here in the bay area and get you some root beer.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Iron Dog

Ya, I like to fly at the venuejust to get the first flight "jitters" out of the way.
The only beer I drink now is rootbeer.

I like the idea of a BBQ.
So if I bring my M/Home, is it ok to park there?
Are there rooms near by?
Any night flying?
Im thinking some foamy lit up pylon racing on a 100' course?

Nice Mustang Marty!!!

You and Dave both have beautiful planes! I hope you don’t mind me posting the pics here (below), too. That allows me to talk a little more about them without getting the Tucson RCPRO Race thread off-track any further.

So, as I was trying to state in the RCPRO Tuscon thread (as positively as I could), that while some individuals may be race officials in their local venues, and may know exactly what is going on in their area,it does NO good for any of us to have them making comments acting as if they were "in" on the policy discussions and decisions in clubs to which they are not actually a part of, many hundreds of miles away. I have absolutely no problem with either of those airplanes at all! Nor, can I foresee that any of my fellow CDs could ever have so much of a problem with it, that they would ever even consider it not meeting the intent of our races.

The only wing I ever heard any negative mutterings about were the absolutely straight leading edges. And, while some pilots muttered amongst themselves that they didn't feel it was the most appropriate, these wings were not "banned". The Phoenix Models Strega was definitely no longer allowed to complete. SpeedRacer mentioned one modeler made a straight LE wing AND alsochose to mount it to the PM Strega fuse, and found his airframe no longer allowed at the next season's races (last year). Note that it would have been this modelers choice of fuse, and not specifically the wing that was the culprit, here. Those who do not know the facts, and then exacerbate the issue further by misinterpreting and misrepresenting others’ comments as well, start to take us down a confusing and unconstructive path. With luck, this will all be clear now, and we can all simply move on.

So this is definitely a great model! Obvious to me in both Dave's pics and yours, that your wings have the tell-tale double-taper characteristic of most of the P-51 versions. Even if it started out as a World Models P-51, which serve our purposes just fine as-is, I appreciate even further all the extra efforts I can see you made to customize it, and make it more scale: the redesigned elevators and vertical fin, for example. How would SAM’s CDs not be impressed with your work and embrace it?! (See Marty, all that prior anxiety caused needlessly in that other thread over absolutely nothing! And honestly, to what end?)

If you need a motel room, I can look into one for you. I live only 12 mins away, and there are a couple motels close by to me (4 more mins. away). But many park overnight at the site in their RVs. The night before is usually a good get-together and BBQ. So if you won't be indulging in any of my mixed drinks, then I'll be sure that I have a couple of my better non-alcoholic beverages, too. (I think that's how I manage to bribe Shawn's kids to cheer for me!)

Ollie

Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM
MFLOOD3800

Thanks for all the info guys!!
I will look into the M/Home route.

I also need to give Jim Kelso a shout out. The work on the plane was his.

He is also building me a different plane that I intend to race there.
Its a KI. I think Jason Vernon flew one in testing up there last year?
I want to make it my primary if it is legal.?

It met the class rulesfrom what Ive heard
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Marty. As one of the CDs and long time Gold racer here at the SAMs field, PLease let me say that it will be a pleasure to have you join us.

Dave Sullivan
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 PM
MFLOOD3800

Thanks Dave, I sure hope it all works out!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
joedonkey

I cant wait for the season to start... I will be even racing this year in the bronze class!!! not the full season thou, just a couple of races this year to get things going ... I have to much fun being the announcer and working with Kimo.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: joedonkey

I cant wait for the season to start... I will be even racing this year in the bronze class!!! not the full season thou, just a couple of races this year to get things going ... I have to much fun being the announcer and working with Kimo.

Man I could go on for pages with this.............................................. ...........poor Kimo, he's so misunderstood.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:02 PM
camss69

This is probably the wrong thread, but it seems to get a lot of traffic so I'm going to ask here.

What are you guys doing for pushrods for the ailerons. I mean I have the whole z-bend one end kwik-link the other, but is there a better solution? I HATE the z-bends... I don't really like making the whole thing threaded rod either.

I was looking for some little 2-56 turnbuckles but I don't see any on the dubro website.

My 115 showed up.. I guess that means I have to make at least one race this year....
Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
speedracerntrixie

Nick, I have been using the Dubro 4-40 rod that is threaded at one end. I use steel klevis at both ends. Threaded on one and solder on the other. I have to agree, I havent used a Z bend in 20 years.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 PM
camss69

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Nick, I have been using the Dubro 4-40 rod that is threaded at one end. I use steel klevis at both ends. Threaded on one and solder on the other. I have to agree, I havent used a Z bend in 20 years.
I will do that! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.