Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

RCPRO Race 2/09/13, Tucson Az.

Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

RCPRO Race 2/09/13, Tucson Az.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCPRO Race 2/09/13, Tucson Az.

Ollie,
You got it. The Gold warbirds from Sams, and the Unlimiteds from M Hills. I had Rick maida involved to be my contact guy there. The problem was the field we were told would be ready( for our giant scales). It isnt going to happen in 2013, but maybe next year.
We were going to put a pylon up at our center area (800' course), and get you guys out there. We werent going to make you race 1600'.
We have sponsors already involved, course and workers, a combo of your guys rules and M/Hill, except no break out. Our set backs are 450 so we can exceed normal speeds limited by ordinary races. As a SIG group the USRA is recognized as a safety established organization.
It is going to be a wide open see who cross first. Trophies, cash and braggin rights for speed.

The main reason we went after this idea, was the enthusiasim we see up there for warbird building, racing and promoting.
We had expected if this was going to work we would see around 15-30 entries.

Here is my email if we could maybe talk more.
[email protected]
Its more respectful to John and not hijack his thread.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd definitely love to talk more about the possibilities. I'll be in contact soon.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

Its more respectful to John and not hijack his thread.
Let's see, in two pages there are about four posts about John's race.

So John, looks like rain. Is there still going to be a race?

Thanks, Terry
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 PM
carider67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick question - where do you get that prop? I'm tired of nicking APC two-bladed props and having a run cost me $13, plus fuel, plus the occasional glow plug..... Makes me want to go to starbucks, cause people will think I'm wealthy! lol Also, is there much performance gain? Just the extra ground clearance would be worth it! BTW, I'm running one of Jasons wings this year - it's scale enough, as much so as a WM, so people can get over it. Back in the day, people didn't ***** about how "unscale" the Great Planes Mustang was/is - way too fat of a wing, too small of a spinner, too big and flat of a tail group - should I go on? I know a few people that still run that plane, lets just call it even, ok boys? Lets spread the love, not the bitterness. Chris ps - I would love to see the Arizona & So-Cal boys come to SAM and play like the old days - Tony P, Blues Bros, all of ya!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: still4given

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: still4given

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

The 115 is faster then the 120. I have seen a few of these airplanes fly at Sam's and they are always fast. I think I heard that Sam's has been talking about excluding this wing saying that the outline is not scale enough. The tip cord is too small. How is the 3 blade prop working?
That's too funny. I have seen pics of the SAM's races where guys have P51's with straight leading edges. Every time someone goes faster than the old boys club, they start talking about outline, color scheme, T designation. It's never ending.

I'm so glad we don't have to worry about that in RCPRO.

Blessings, Terry
Terry, I would have to disagree, I have been racing at Sam's for the past 3 seasons and have seen zero rules changes in that time. One particular PM Strega was outlawed the previous year for having a strait LE.The airplane as a whole was outlawed because it's just not very scale. It was a decision based on scale outline and not that the airplane was any faster then the rest. That particular airplane was powered with an OS 90 DF and was definetly not keeping up with the YS 115 powered airplanes. IMO as a scale racing orginization we have to better define the term '' Scale outline '' IMAC had the same issue decades ago and went with a 10% deviation with the ultimate call going to the CD. It was not unusual to see guys carrying 3 veiws and specs for the full scale aircraft and documentation that supported the model was within 10%. One must also thing of safety. You are aware that the PM strega wing is not in any means overbuilt. 1/16'' sheet ribs with no caps, balsa spars, 1/16 sheeting. I think we can agree that most guys are not able to go in and beef that up enough to hold up to gold speeds.

Several of us have flown PM Stregas in the Gold class for years in the RCPRO races and I have never seen a Strega wing fail. On the contrary, I have seen several WM P51 wings fail, even in the Silver class. The incidences I was referring to happened more than three years ago and were the reason the AZ guys quit attending the races there. I am a lover of rules, and if the SAM guys don't want PM Stregas at their races that is their choice. At least folks know that before they go there to race. My point is that the wing that Jason makes is closer to scale than a lot of the other stuff I have seen being used at the SAM races. They are not using the SWRA rules and there is no scale judging. Do you think the WM P51 is scale? How about the Kiosho Spitfire? They are all ''Stand-off Scale''. If they start getting out tape measures, there are a lot of the planes being flow there that will not make the 10% rule.

This thread is about an RCPRO race, and like I said, I am glad we don't have to deal with that any more. At our races, you don't need twice as big a plane to run a two stroke and you can even run electric power if you want to.

The SAM guys can run their races any way they want to, I just think it is funny when I hear someone say they are planning to outlaw another plane that is beating the regulars. It won't matter, Verano will outrun them with something else if they outlaw the plane he is currently using.

Blessings, Terry
Terry,
I have read this whole thread and it does seem as if you do have some problem with the way SAM's does their racing. I'll make a few comments here with the hope to not be blasted for them and in no way would I want you to take this personal, just listen and maybe see things a bit differently.

1. No Az flyer was ever turned away from a race due to outline or plane type or any other reason. I do recall some planes not being liked by CD's and others and as such the planes were asked not to return a following year. Agree or disagree with the planes, not an issue, but you make it seem like these experienced pilots were turned away. Not true at all.

2. Just because a lot of the SAM's flyers take issue with the PM Strega does not mean that we should be criticized for it. We discussed future rules changes with all pilots prior to making changes and allowed many to race two or three races with PM Stregas prior to banning them. Not a very hard line approach if you ask me.

3. The wings that you have seen (I will assume thru photos or videos) with straight leading edges are Jason's wing. It is a widely used wing by many pilots, and it is very fast. But the Gold Champions of the last 4-5 years as well as 2nd place pilots haven't used said wing. How do I know.... well I, Dave Sullivan, the late Jerry Votaw, Tommy Gun, and Dan Hughes have dominated the gold over the last 5 years in the series and none of us have used said wing. (these pilots are used in reference as 1st or 2nd place finishers in the season long points race over the last 4 to 5 years)

4. Wing area, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, etc. You have your rules, we have ours, and it really shouldn't be such a point of issue. In fact, until you have tried a SAM race I would ask that you not "cast stones".

5. Any pilot is welcomed to come and fly and beat any of us. Due to family commitments I am not always able to stay as late as many at the field. I have however given parts to friends to help repair others planes in my absence, given retracts to pilots during the course of a race day to help them make the next heat, or helped many a competitor (close or barely known) compete. I would believe this is a common thread for all racers everywhere. This is what makes our sport so great. Focus on the great. Each group has differences, but down deep we are probably very similar (I believe).

6. Kiosho is spelled Kyosho.

I'm not sure if this will change the way you feel about SAM's racing, its CD's, or competitors, but hopefully you will change your view somewhat. I've read a lot of your posts regarding SAM's rules, etc and there is always a common theme of disgust or resentment. I'm not sure why. I would seriously believe that if you came to a Sacramento event you would be impressed with how the event is run and enjoy yourself. Just don't bring a PM Strega (that was a joke).

Jimmy Skids

Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 AM
MFLOOD3800

So John,

Did the race happen? what were the results?
Pictures please.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 PM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to John and the race did happen. Sounds like it was a great time....Really sorry I missed it.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 PM
jagfly
My Feedback: (17)

Sorry Guys not getting the results of the race out sooner but here you go. First of all when I left the house in the morning it was raining and snowing but luckly by the I got to the field it started to clear up and by race time it was cool but sunny. We had 15 pilots including 3 in Novice Class, not bad for the way the weather started out. We got in 5 rounds and even if Gold was lite on pilots it was very competetive between the YS's and the one electric with the YS's 1 + 3 and the electric 2nd. All aircraft survived the day and I want to thank all the pilots who came out and made the race a success, also all the workers who also showed up even with the iffy weather.

John
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 PM
jagfly
My Feedback: (17)

Sorry about that here are the race results.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69299.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1852567  
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Tommy_Gun

Stiletto and Tsunami

Stilettos wings are not high aspect ratio with narrow tip chords and Tsunami should have a belly scoop. These are the basic types of things we are looking for people to pay attention to when they come to race with us at SAMs. Yes in past years we have seen folks stretch things beyond the reasonable limits with respect to outlines and we just want to preserve the spirit of the event.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28824.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1852626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73007.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1852627  
Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 PM
MFLOOD3800

Hey John,
Looks like it was some good racing again down there,. We asure do all appreciate your efforts and the helpers you have. I missed being there.