Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th

Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th

Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th

Happy 4th, everyone!

That means Sacramento Area Modelers 1st AnnualVALLEY OF SPEEDScale Warbird Race is only one month away! It is everything you have come to love about racing at SAMs, with just a little something extra. In addition to the usual cash and trophies, there will be airplane kits and additional prizes awarded ineverybracket.

The event flyer (more new sponsors continue to be added), registration form, and rules can be found attached, below; as well as on the SAM website (
http://www.sacramento-rc-flyers.org).

"Gentlemen, you are on the clock . . . ", you've got 31 days, s
o get those planes ready, and get some practice in, 'cause you won't want to miss this one! We'll see you soon.

Ollie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fd93405.pdf (1.11 MB, 26 views)
Lj22048.pdf (595.3 KB, 27 views)
Yv66028.pdf (165.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Iron Dog

Default RE: SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th

In preparation for upcoming races, we continue to improve the flying site, as well. We are extending our covered shade structure in the pit area by another 25% of the current capacity . . . from 16 tables to 20.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Iron Dog

Joe,

You'll be glad to know the new mics have arrived and been tested. Brownie says they are working perfectly; with no interference issues. So, we are ready for you, too. (Not only for Valley of Speed;but, for Tres Kahunas, this coming weekend, too - unless you will be racing in that event yourself.)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Casey Leadfoot Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was looking at your flyer Ollie and I noticed that Strega appears to be in last place. Now I know this couldn't be possible so now I'm curious about your whole race. Is this flyer just a cover for your nonexisting race? Is all the prizes you offer just a sham? Are you taking money for a race that doesn't exist? I'm on to you buddy. I ain't fallin for your tricks.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Casey Leadfoot Smith

ORIGINAL: Iron Dog

Joe,

You'll be glad to know the new mics have arrived and been tested. Brownie says they are working perfectly; with no interference issues. So, we are ready for you, too. (Not only for Valley of Speed; but, for Tres Kahunas, this coming weekend, too - unless you will be racing in that event yourself.)
Oh and thats all we need to hear..... I'll be bringing an ice pick to gouge out my ear drums.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:31 PM
joedonkey

That's great news... I love the sound of my own voice and now everyone else will too...
Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Iron Dog

ORIGINAL: Casey Leadfoot Smith

So I was looking at your flyer Ollie and I noticed that Strega appears to be in last place. Now I know this couldn't be possible so now I'm curious about your whole race. Is this flyer just a cover for your nonexisting race? Is all the prizes you offer just a sham? Are you taking money for a race that doesn't exist? I'm on to you buddy. I ain't fallin for your tricks.

Well Casey, when I made my flyer, using the full-scale planes, I had to think about how a SAM’s scale version of the Reno Air Races would actually play-out . . .

Here’s how I see it:

The Shaws have flown models of Rare Bear and Miss America, so of course their planes are ahead of the pack.

Skids, in his Precious Metal would be hot on their heels applying pressure trying to force them into a mistake.

Sea Furies - and other round cowled - planes are are always struggling a bit to keep up with the pack. (And, “Yes” that is a reference to a particular round-nosed-cowl-lover, and notorious P-51-despiser we all know and love!)

And, finally there is Leadbutt . . . the last remaining P-51 pilot. I remember you talked awhile back about possibly modeling Strega for your next build. And of course you’d be the s-l-o-w-e-s-t plane in the pack.

See, no funny business; it's all on the up & up, making perfect sense, my friend!

(Glad you're back, Casey. We've missed ya! I'm looking forward to helping you maiden that obomination you call a racer, tomorrow! See you in the morning.)
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

The shade structure looks great, Jerry would be very proud of you guys for sure.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:02 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sea Furies - and other round cowled - planes are are always struggling a bit to keep up with the pack. (And, “Yes†that is a reference to a particular round-nosed-cowl-lover, and notorious P-51-despiser we all know and love!)

LMAO!!!!! Please excuse me while I laugh in your face...Ha Ha Ha.

PLanebender
(Round cowl LOVER)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:03 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: pjakew

The shade structure looks great, Jerry would be very proud of you guys for sure.
+1.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:12 AM
carider67

So, after getting off my soapbox, I decided to look around my shop & storage spaces for a new airframe to race..... Came up with a few ideas.......
1) WM Focke Wulf 190A, it has an amazing wing, 539 sq in, so YS 115, or with some minor extensions, any good 120 - YS120AC.
2) EZ P-39 Airacobra, NIB, very rare....... Can be configured as a P-63 also. I also have the ultra rare OS 120 SE Supercharged w/ a Roots Blower. Not sure on boost. This is the exact combo that Fred Burgdorf "APC Props" would come down to our races and whip our butts! He also ran a YS .60 two stroke w/ tuned pipe, and later a YS square head .61 w/ pipe. (I have both motors) He had his painted Bright Red/Orange in "Tipsy Miss" livery. Would love to make a duplicate!
3) WM Mustang (yawn!) Voo Doo fuse all done, have to just cover the "Jason" wing. YS 115S already installed. Well, I'm gonna think about this. Will ad pics tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Iron Dog

I'd love to see another P-39, Chris. (Especially beings I won't be able to put another one of mine together anytime soon. An homage to Fred . . . even better!)
Old 07-16-2013, 06:07 PM
joedonkey

Positve Joe will be there to announce...
Old 07-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Iron Dog

Thank you! It just wouldn't be the same without you and Tabby being there.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 PM
joedonkey

Its because of good people, like you, trashman, speed, leadfoot, tommy, skids and the other none whinners... I owe it to ya... amd thanks for the oppurtunity
Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Tommy_Gun

Hey there big joe,
I was hoping that cooler heads would prevail after all the drama from Sunday.
I like many others am glad to hear that you will stick with us. Just try to remember to
keep it fun and let anyone get to you.

Chris,
lf you decide to use the WM FW 190, make sure to pay attention to the stock wing structure.
My dark blue190 started out as a WM arf and I found the stock wing to be wanting in the strength department.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 PM
carider67

Tommy,
How does it fly? Land? What motor you running? I always reinforce my wings in the center section with thick bi-directional carbon weave - out from the centerline 4" each direction, and around the landing gear mounts. I don't think I'll have enough time to do the 190 right, 3 weeks is not enough. I'll probably finish the Jerry Tribute plane & race my Rockwell again - it was flying pretty sweet at the end there. That was on 30%, running fat, & wrong prop to slow it down.... Might just uncork it and race Gold. We'll see...... And thanks to Mark for calling a good race for me - The Silver A Main was fun, until all but Steve broke out lol. Here's a few pics of my "Roundie"..... I should throw a motor in it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30179.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1901369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66386.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1901370  
Old 07-20-2013, 02:18 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

ORIGINAL: joedonkey

Its because of good people, like you, trashman, speed, leadfoot, tommy, skids and the other none whinners... I owe it to ya... amd thanks for the oppurtunity

Well I whine a little LOL That being said, I'm ready to do battle once again. The Rossi has a new piston and liner waiting to be run in and I picked up some props today. Gotta look at the positives, if the airplane hadn't been damaged it wouldn't look as good as it does now. Best looking " Macchi 5 " so far.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: joedonkey

Well I whine a little LOL That being said, I'm ready to do battle once again. The Rossi has a new piston and liner waiting to be run in and I picked up some props today. Gotta look at the positives, if the airplane hadn't been damaged it wouldn't look as good as it does now. Best looking '' Macchi 5 '' so far.

Speed, I have never heard you whine. Your motor on the other hand does whine quite a bit.

Jimmy Skids
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 PM
speedracerntrixie

Jimmy, Looook at my preeeeetttyyy Macchi. I hope it dosen't get dirty, I don't know what I'll do if it gets a scratch. I have to cover it in the pits so you 4 strokers don't blow unburned oil all over it. hahahahahhaa Notice how there is nothing silver in the nose???? Hmmm what could be mounted in there now?

Name:	Us52859.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1903463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30373.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1903464  
Old 07-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Jimmy Skids

I still have a few small YS four strokes that could make it competitive. Are you saying that you are ready for a fuel efficient four stroke?

Jimmy Skids
Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 PM
speedracerntrixie

Why would I want a small YS the airplane has a 520 sq. in wing. Makes you wonder what I put in the 4.5 lb little guy.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Jimmy Skids

In that case, go big. I may have a loaner for you. But be warned once you go YS you won't go back. Just ask Mark.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 AM
carider67

Ollie, here are some of the pics of the P-39 - it has the same "Tufflex" plastic/rubbermaid fuse as my EZ Mustang 30, and it flies great and holds up well. Before I start gluing it together with horse by-products, did you maybe want to see about pulling a mold for the fuse, cowl, and canopy? Could make some hot .40 size 2strokers......

The problem with 4 stroke (heavy) motors is they have to be mounted at 90 degrees - side mount - or strait up & down, because of the front landing gear. I was planning on going with a hot 2 stroke & pipe on mine, and e-Flite Retracts x 3. Let me know about the molds, I think everybody knows I'm on very limited time w/ the Cancer and also am fighting hard to get more visitation with the Babies.... Yes, she left me dying and with 4month old twins being withheld from me

Well, here are some pics of what I want to do, some final projects. Still looking for a .40 -.60 size "B" Model Mustang, semi built or ARF Basher. Also have the Miss America "Jerry" tribute plane that has a YS 45 NIB in it - needs to be finished.

Name:	Lj22255.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1903517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55584.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1903518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88057.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1903519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76649.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1903520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx46009.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1903521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wi49853.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1903522  
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Iron Dog

ORIGINAL: carider67

Ollie, here are some of the pics of the P-39 - it has the same "Tufflex" plastic/rubbermaid fuse as my EZ Mustang 30, and it flies great and holds up well. Before I start gluing it together with horse by-products, did you maybe want to see about pulling a mold for the fuse, cowl, and canopy? Could make some hot .40 size 2strokers......

The problem with 4 stroke (heavy) motors is they have to be mounted at 90 degrees - side mount - or strait up & down, because of the front landing gear. I was planning on going with a hot 2 stroke & pipe on mine, and e-Flite Retracts x 3. Let me know about the molds, I think everybody knows I'm on very limited time w/ the Cancer and also am fighting hard to get more visitation with the Babies....
Chris,

Thanks for the offer, but making molds would be too long-term a committment for you right now. I've sold my house, and am in contract for a new one (less than 3 miles from SAMs). Withso much going on(paperwork, inspections, packing, moving, putting VALLEY OF SPEED, etc.), it would take me too long to get to it. I wouldn't want to keep you from being able to fly yours. Especially, beings I already have molds from my own design that have flown very successfully. I still plan on making more of my P-39s, just need to get settled before I can even think about it, and finish the P-47 from my Trinity Build Thread, first.

You might also consider mounting at a 45 degree angle, leaning slightly downwards (as on my last P-39, pictured below), or slightly upwards. I don't like ALL the weight of the large YS 4-strokes hanging straight off to the side when mounted at 90 degrees; and, am tired of damaging my engines on gear-up landings, etc. when mounted inverted or at a downward 45, so am going to mount the next one on a 45 pointing slightly up towards me. My suggestion would be to consider doing the same. Especially beings this would make it ideally positioned for access while starting, too.

Name:	Wu59922.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1903567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96194.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1903568  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.