Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Things are still going a little slowly. I declined an invite to work over the weekend so I can finish off the mold. I removed the balsa parting flange and applied the surface coat on the other side and got all the glass on. Now I have two mold halves and will be doing the wing saddle today. Tomorrow I will be able to clean up the mold flanges, post cure the molds at 120 degrees for a couple hours and with any luck get the plug out of the molds. I am really hoping to lay up a fuse next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	1964639  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ok molds are done except for a little clean up then they will get a waxing and a coat of PVA. Fuse layup will begin next week. After that the airplane should go together pretty quickly.

Views:	44 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	1966149   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	41 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	1966150   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	60 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	1966151  
    Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 02-06-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Speed,

I continue to follow your progress and am very excited for you as I watch how well it is coming out. I am having to live vicariously through you, right now, so am glad to see someone is making headway. My new wing still looks exactly as it did weeks ago. Even with a 3-day weekend, this week I will be installing a new range hood, refinishing the ceiling in the kitchen, plus all the usual chores, so doubt I will be any further along come next week.
    WARNING: High-nitro fumes cause an unusual form of mental debilitation resulting in excess expenditures on racing airplanes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Beleive me Ollie the only real driving force here is that it needs to get done so I can come race with you guys. For the past month I have been working 65 hr weeks and forcing myself to do a minimum of 8 hrs a week on this project. That being said I just finished laying up the two fuse halves. I used a surface layer of 3.2 oz crowfoot cloth, 3K unidirectional CF in the nose and wing TE and 6.8 oz E cloth. I'm hoping for a light but really stiff layup. I used Hysol 9396 laminating resin and used 3 oz per half. I will post some pics in a day or two.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I got the fuse out of the molds and roughed out the engine install. For now I'm leaving the wing saddle area open as it gives me more room to work with. Next will be the tank/radio tray. This will be a plate that will run from the wing TE up to almost the back of the engine. I haven't gotten too many responses on this thread but it appears guys are looking. Feel free to jump in.

Views:	83 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	1967990   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	74 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	1967991   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	77 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	1967992  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Looks Great Speed!!! It is about time you get rid of that 2 stroke. I guess I will not hear the skip a beat joke anymore.

I am just about ready to do my mold now. I am learning from the best but remember I am still the best pilot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	1968301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	171.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	1968302Looks good Sean, you do some nice work. Your probably ahead of me and I'm retired. Just can't get my butt in gear. Anyway here are a couple pictures of mine
    Walk softly but carry a big stick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I don't know if you are any farther along or not I still have a bunch of things to fabricate. I really like the look of yours, very scale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sean
    Nice plane, but what is that funny looking engine? Did you remember to put a tunnel in the fuselage for the tuned pipe?

Looking good. Best of luck racing this year.

Scott
    Revver Brother #260

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Actually I thought about one of those S headers from Central Hobbies and an ES CF pipe through the fuse. Decided not to because I am worried about weight. I really want this airplane to be in the 6 lb range. In my world a 520 sq in airplane at 7 lbs is heavy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Things are moving pretty well at this point. I was able to get the radio tray/fuel tank tray fabricated and installed. Hitec 225MG servos are used on elevators, one servo and pushrod per elevator half. 225BB servos are used for throttle and rudder. Tank is a Hays 16 oz. The engine mout was also installed and consists of a 1/4" ply plate with 1/4" G-10 inserts where the engine lugs go. The assembly was then glassed and bonded in place. Note there is no firewall in this airplane, this should make things easy to work on. I'm hoping the YS does not spit a bunch of fuel out the carb. I usually remove my engines after a race weekend to clean and inspect anyway.

Views:	62 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	1968839   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	85 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1968840  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Darn it
    I finally get to take a poke at you for going over to the 4 stroke dark side, and you find a good way to blow me off. Crap.

Seriously, I can see no good reason to add the weight of a pipe on a 4 stroke, as you will see no performance increase. If a minor aerodynamic increase is worth the trouble you could probably make a pipe that fits close to the fuselage and fair it in.
    Since you made a mold, I would probably consider making a fuselage out of carbon fiber and vacuum bagging it in the mold. I am sure you could shave several ounces there. You would just need to figure out how to make the radio work. Some external antennas would do it, but you would need accurate information from someone who knows more than I about it. I could help you with a layup for maximum strength and minimum weight if you want to go all carbon fiber, but you need to solve the radio problem.

Cool plane. Keep us posted.
    Scott
    Revver Brother #260

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks Scott, I do realize there are better ways to do the layup but I'm trying to keep a time/cost budget being that pylon airplanes are somewhat expendable. It it were an airplane that I knew I would keep for a few years I would for sure bounce some ideas your way. The pipe idea was mainly for my wife, she is my caller and I was thinking about her well being. She found some really cool hard hats that come with intragrated ear protection so for now I will be running a 3" header.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    speed,
    Good lookin out for your caller. W/o a soft mount and a short header, she will be loud. I carry ear plugs. Did you mount the tank behind the CG or am I looking at it backwards? Is that a WS 115 or older 115? I ask cause I see the side mounted regulator, but I also see JB weld on the valve cover already. Have you been secretly enjoying these 4 strokes w/o telling anyone?
    Nice job on the build and documentation, cant wait to see it in person.
    Race101
    YS Engines
    Team JR AMERICAS
    Waymire Decaling

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Marty, the tank center is right on the wing LE. The engine in a loner that Jerry C. Was kind enough to let me use for the build. I need to get off my butt and get one of my own on order next week. I have however flown .91s in pattern airplanes and am not completely green when it comes to YS 4 strokes. I am sure though that with the higher nitro and different prop loading that I will have questions once I get the airplane finished and start running the engine. Over the past few years I have quietly kept my eyes and ears open while watching the guys running these engines with good success and have learned from that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The YS engines, I feel, are easy to tune. I have been flying YS engines since i can remember. You will have no issues Im sure. Even with the higher nitro, the new WS handles it and you can make an entire race on same plug, once you have the position set of the needle. (reading glow plug after each flight backs up your proper setting choice or tells on it)
    Race101
    YS Engines
    Team JR AMERICAS
    Waymire Decaling

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Only one goal for the day today, wing hold downs and wing saddle. It went easier then I thought it would.

Views:	73 
Size:	1,022.8 KB 
ID:	1969136   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	1969137   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	76 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	1969138   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	76 
Size:	971.8 KB 
ID:	1969139   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	71 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	1969140  

Views:	73 
Size:	974.4 KB 
ID:	1969141  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I wish tower still had the prices in that old catalog.
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I wish that we had the same amount of cool stuff available that we did back then. I was looking through some of those old catalogs and there is a ton of awesome kits and stuff gone forever.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi Speed, Is that a Li-Poly or A-123 pack in the photo? NIce job on the plane so far!!! I would have to say with the total lack of Drag your plane presents in comparison to the Fat planes I have flown you should have NO TROUBLE breaking out on F.A.I. Fuel.
    We plan to continue to race our full size draggy KI-61s and hope they will run the number with high nitro. See you Soon Brother!!!

Dave
    WWW.PLANEBENDERPRODUCTS.COM
    Duralite Flight Systems
    Team JR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks Dave and we both know your KI's can break out at will. That is a LiFE battery you see there. That was about as far back as I could mount it and still be able to get to it. I hope to have her ready for paint in about 2 weeks. The next step is hinging and linkages.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Very nice!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sweet, we have Iron Dog and now Iron Eagle has joined us, welcome Iron Eagle. I worked on some hinging and elevator linkage last nite, I will have some pictures later this evening. Things are progressing well, I need to get over to OSH and pick up a new spray gun before too much longer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    We plan to continue to race our full size draggy KI-61s and hope they will run the number with high nitro. See you Soon Brother!!!

Dave

Dave did you guys end up molding some Ki's or are these built up?
    Race101
    YS Engines
    Team JR AMERICAS
    Waymire Decaling

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Got a few things done today. Cut slots in the fuse for the stab and vert fin. Got the elevator linkage mocked up as well. Thought I would throw a retract pic in there. The strut has been bent around the wheel so I could get the wheel flush with the wing surface. Biggest accomplishment was getting a spanking new 115 WS on the way.

Views:	47 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	1970363   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	44 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	1970364   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	42 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1970365   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	46 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	1970366   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	48 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	1970367  

Views:	52 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	1970369  

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast